Coopers Community

Coopers sparkling ale

DKAngel

ive just put down a coolers sparkling ale from the recipe thingy on the webpage about 24hrs ago, does this thing take a bit to kick off?

i see barely any activity at all and the airlock hasn't budged at all its not even bubbling and there is only minute bubbles on the surface

temp is 21C. yeast went on at 24c everything was clean sanitized and the instructions were followed as i put a pale ale down at the same time and thats kicked of just nicely

Fermentation can often take a couple of days to kick off when using dry yeast. I think PB 2 advocates waiting half an hour after sprinkling yeast to let it hydrate and then stirring in with a well sanitized spoon, which may help start it sooner.

Was the can well within use by date? Stale or poorly kept yeast can often have a big impact on the lag time as an old sachet may contain fewer viable cells and therefore take longer as they multiply more times in order to consume the wort. When in doubt I make a yeast starter which seems to get things going nicely.

I wouldn't worry too much though. As long as your sanitation was thorough your brew should hang in there until the yeast gets going.

A yeast starter? That's basically setting the yeast aside with some water and some fermentables to get groovy aye?

Is there not even condensation, krausen etc happening? I rarely get much airlock activity. Taking a hydro reading is the definitive test I guess.

A yeast starter? That's basically setting the yeast aside with some water and some fermentables to get groovy aye?

Yeah, pretty much. Basically a way of turning a small quantity of yeast into a bigger one when more is required, such as for a low temp lager or high gravity brew like Imperial stout.

There are a number of ways to make them but the simplest I've tried is to make up a litre of wort using 5 tablespoons dextrose and 1 litre cooled boiled water. Place in sanitised 1.25 litre coke bottle with yeast of choice, cover top with cling wrap and secure with a rubber band. Prick cling wrap with a needle to allow CO2 to escape. Place in warm spot out of direct sunlight and swirl each time you walk past to suspend the yeast. This can take up to four days to bear fruit depending on the amount of yeast you are starting with, the health of your yeast and the temperature or the wort.

The Whitelabs website has some useful info on pitching rates and starter making. Follow this link if you are interested. http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_starters.html

DK, if you know someone that works at a school or UNI science department they might be able to get you a glass test tube. I made the fatal mistake of rinsing mine in boiling water. [devil]

Archived