Coopers Community

Pilsner

BrentW2

Hi all, i got 2 problems but will put them in 2 posts as the 2 different problems.

A couple of weeks ago i put down a thomas coopers pilsner, i did this while one of my daughters had a friend around for a sleep over and got them to help me. Here in lies the problem, i got them to "help" me by putting in the LDME and dextrose (all per instructions)while i put in the can of pilsner and hot water.

I asked them to take turns at stirring to mix everything together, while i went and sorted out an argument with my other 2 daughters (oh the joy of having 3 girls). I came back assuming all was well and added water up to the 23l mark, took a reading which was 1.036, add yeast put on lid and waited.

I had the FV wrapped in a sleeping bag which kept temp at around 15degree and took regular readings all was going well till today when i unwrapped it completely and saw a lot of sediment at the bottom of the FV and thought thats not right. Went through a few senarios on how this came to be and the obvious was that the ingredients where not mixed well.

When i quizzed my daughter if she and her friend had stirred it as asked she said no as she was showing her friend our mouse traps [crying] . So my question is this, is there anything that can be done to fix the problem or shall i just bottle it nowing im not going to get full value for this kit and put it down to experience.

By the way after 2 weeks took a reading today and it 1.008.

No blame on the girls on this one as i should of checked but its a lesson learned, if you want something done do it your self!!!

TIA

Wiggy

You'll have quite a bit of sediment anyway, indeed not as much as an ale yeast would leave behind. But if your OG was 1.036 and your FG at 1.008 that puts you at alochol % of about 4.4 which sounds about right for a pilsner? If your sure its fermentables at the bottom and not sediment you could always stir them up and leave it some more time and check FG again.

hey wiggy - I concurr - I reckon your bang on. Whilst having every ingredient thoroughly dissolved gives the yeast the best access to the the fermentables in your vessel, they're very clever and voaracious little critters that would have just munched away at any lumps that were sitting on the bottom of your fermenter.

Don't fear, and enjoy your pils.

Archived