Coopers Community

Poor seal on Coopers Fermenter

PeiHomeBrewer

The first time i used the Coopers FV it was leaking like a madman.

I took a knife and scraped of the seam that runs on the sides of the airlock, the part that goes through the lid only,and that worked perfectly for me.

What i also do is i throw some sanitizing fluid in the lid on the rubber seal, swirl it around a bit,throw it out and immediately screw the lid on while the seal is wet.

This seems to provide for enough lubrication to get a good seal.

i do not tighten the lid with a lot of force and that seems to work better then when i did.

My idea is the seal wrinkles up somehow when screwed on with force without proper lubrication.

You may want to check the rim of the vessel for seams that might stick out a bit and trim it down if necessary.

I hope this is of any help.

I took a knife and scraped of the seam that runs on the sides of the airlock, the part that goes through the lid only,and that worked perfectly for me.

What i also do is i throw some sanitizing fluid in the lid on the rubber seal, swirl it around a bit,throw it out and immediately screw the lid on while the seal is wet.

This seems to provide for enough lubrication to get a good seal.

i do not tighten the lid with a lot of force and that seems to work better then when i did.

My idea is the seal wrinkles up somehow when screwed on with force without proper lubrication.

You may want to check the rim of the vessel for seams that might stick out a bit and trim it down if necessary.

I hope this is of any help.

Thanks for the tips! I will give that a shot. I ditched the air lock for my three piece (which I like better, it is easier to sanitize).

Yeah, i want a three piece too.

With my last brew, the coopers wheat with 1 kg wheat DME and brewferm blanche yeast, it foamed straight throug the airlock.

i just can't get the muck out of it...

i have a couple as spare but my next buy will be a three piece.

Mine was the same, and I did the same...

I rub a tiny amount of Olive Oil around the rim before I put the lid on and don't overtighten. No idea of the pros and cons.

Archived