Coopers Community

Strong beer

2 bird brewing

Hi fellow home brewers I want to make a strong dark beer in taste and abv think I will put this down.1 can brewmaster Irish stout 1 can original series lager 1 kilo ldm 500g dex to 20 liters with 14g of kit yeast and store untill december.Anybody know what this might turn out like.

Hi 2BB

I have just bottled a batch of stout made to the following:

1 x Coopers original Stout

1kg Dry Dark Malt

0.5kg Light Dry Malt

150gms dextrose (it was lying around asking to be used)

1/2 hops tablet.

Made it to 18L. OG of aorund the 1065 mark, FG of 1018. I bulk primed with 130gms of white sugar.

I am going to try one after a few weeks, and then put them away for 3 months and try one, and do so each subsequent 3 months.

Yours is somewhat similar to the Russian Imperial Stout recipe featured on this website (and in the beer and brewer mag) with the exception of the 3rd can of dark ale, the LDM and the addition of only 0.5kg of dex.

From all reports you should have a volcano on your hands, look out!

BTW - you should have an OG of around 1088, an FG of about 1022 and an ABV of %9.4. you will certainly meet the stong criteria!!

Thanks for the conversion John, I'll give it a go I think. Whats your opinion on the difference between the wet stuff and the dry stuff? Is one better than the other? Is it a time and place kind of thing? Personal preference.... I have no experience with the wet malt and only light malt available I'll have to search the local HBS again, but I'm pretty sure that's all I get to play with.

Hi guys. For me it is personal taste. I cant tell the difference in taste between them but for me personally it depends on what I am trying to do.

The "wet" malt is wort that has had some water taken away. The "dry" has had all it's water taken away hence it is more concentrated and hence you need less of it.

The "wet" is usually cheaper but the dry stores better and allows you to do tweaks (i.e. adding 50-200g of dry is simple if you want to tweak your flavours)

Regarding storage - once you have opened a can of the "wet" it needs to be covered and stay in the fridge, using up fridge space. The "dry" can keep well in an airtight container.

Personally - if I need something for an iminent recipoe I use "wet", if I want to keep something on hand for a while for tweaks (i.e. dark malt, amber malt or wheat malt)I use dry.

The great thing about brewing is we all have different opinions and we all still make great beer (most of the time)

Archived