Coopers Community

why imersion heaters bad

larryc

just read your topic "which heating method works best" and noticed pb2 comment on "imersion heater - bad, bad". my question is why ????? this is my first brew so ime no expert but i bought myself an automatic aquarium heater , 50 watt, vitapet marine master professional series, set the temp at 24c and it seems to be ticking over quiet nicely. i know the proof is in the tasting but i cant understand why it is bad when it keeps the brew at a steady temp when the air temp goes up and down so much especially this time of year.

sorry to push the point pb2 but doesnt it say in the coopers micro brew kit instruction handbook , and i quote "some techniques for controlling temperature are ; hot box, heat pad, heat belt, IMMERSION FILTER, insulate fermenter ect, ect. does there need to be some editing or have i just wasted my time and money

My personal experience - immersion heaters, just like any devices that are introduced to the brew, increase the risk of spoilage through infection.

I went through 2 fish tank heaters and then decided they were not a good option.

Archived