Coopers Community

hairys galaxy ale

baz1525229856

Just wanted to send out some brew love to hairy! Just started brewing again and didnt want to waste the os lager I got with my kit, tried hairys galaxy ale and it turned out a good starting point to experiment with hops it turned a few tastebuds everyone loved it so hairy we salute you!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm about to attempt this recipe. I've only done 2 brews so far, both with the Coopers Craft FV and cans. First was just using the tin and tasted horrible. I used the same tin, but dry-hopped with galaxy hops on the 2nd batch and it was a vast improvement. I've upgraded to a full size Coopers DIY kit, and was looking to pimp the Lager tin that comes with it, hence trying hairy's recipe.

I've picked up all the ingredients from a local HBS. What I'm not 100% clear on is the technique. The only thing I've ever done to a tin is add water, and dry-hop. This is my guess; is it correct?

Add 1l boiling water to sterilised pot/bowl.

Add 1/2l cold water (to get to 65/70c). Throw in 250g caramalt. Wait 30 minutes.

Strain liquid into another sterilised pot. Pour boiling water over the grains left in the strainer.

Bring to boil for 10 minutes. Take off boil and add 25g galaxy for 20 minutes in a hop-bomb.

Add 500g LDM and 500g Dry Wheat Malt, 200gm Dextrose into FV along with liquid from pot (is this called wort?). Swirl around to mix.

Add Lager tin contents and remainder of water to 23l.

Is this correct? I'm ok with the fermenting/dry hopping/bottling process, just not too sure on using these dry ingredients.

Add 1l boiling water to sterilised pot/bowl.

Add 1/2l cold water (to get to 65/70c). Throw in 250g caramalt. Wait 30 minutes.

Strain liquid into another sterilised pot. Pour boiling water over the grains left in the strainer.

Bring to boil for 10 minutes. Take off boil and add 25g galaxy for 20 minutes in a hop-bomb.

Add 500g LDM and 500g Dry Wheat Malt' date=' 200gm Dextrose into FV along with liquid from pot (is this called wort?). Swirl around to mix.

Add Lager tin contents and remainder of water to 23l.

Is this correct? [/quote']

Everyone has their own little method of steeping grains but they all do the same job. Your method looks fine.

Usually I would say not to sparge (rinse) the grains with boiling water but you probably won't extract noticeable tannins with only 250g caramalt. I generally don't sparge when steeping specialty malt but if you do it is usually done in the late 70's degrees.

Well, I might have stuffed this one up with a really stupid mistake. It was my first time doing anything other than the craft tins (which is just pouring in the tin and adding water). I sterilised everything, steeped my caramalt, strained it, boiled it, added my galaxy hops etc. Everything was going well. I added my dry malts and dextrose, the lager tin etc, and started filling up my FV.

I've just moved into a new house, and I sometimes get confused by the direction of Hot/Cold on the mixer tap in the kitchen. Unfortunately I realised I'd made a mistake when I got to around the 9l mark!

I filled it with cold tap water (should have had some in the fridge), but it was still at around 34c when I got to 23l. I pitched my US-05 yeast, and tried to bring down the temp as quickly as possible, but I didn't have much to work with. Got it down to 30c within an hour or so, then put it under the house with a wet towel over it. It was 26c the next morning, then 22c when I got home from work. I realise it may taste a little off, but I'm hoping it's not ruined.

But now my concerns: My OG reading with the hydrometer was around 1.025. This seems really low to me. Is this correct? I've added all of the ingredients listed in the recipe. I did the piston pump thing to degas, but I didn't leave it very long to test. FYI I know that the temp affects it, but I also tested it 24 hours later, when it was at 22c, and it was still showing the same reading.

My 2nd concern is I don't see much activity after 36 hours. My previous (basic tin) brews have had a lot more foam at this time. Here's a blurry pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WibD4jqr2r9WMjHQ2

Is it too early to be concerned?

I would still think it will be fine SmokyJoe.

In regards to your OG, you may not have stirred it enough so it hasn't read true. Have you tested your hydrometers reading in 20°c water? (should read 1.000) if it doesn't then you need to allow for it. OG should of been somewhere around 1.046.

Cheers,

Hoppy

Cheers hoppy. I think I made another stupid mistake; expecting to see a layer of foam through the side when using a krausen collar. I've only used the craft FV previous to this, with no collar, and I could always see a thick layer of foam through the side of the fv. I now see the foam when looking from the top. It's bubbling away nicely, and smells delicious so far.

re the hydrometer; yes, I've calibrated it. It reads as 1.000 with tap water, which by my best guess is at around 20c at the moment. I'm sure it's because it wasn't stirred properly. Apart form the OG reading being off, not stirring it properly won't have any other effect will it?

I think I need to work on my hydrometer readings, because my last brew before this (bottled a week ago) was the Diablo IPA craft series tin. That had a FG of 1.020 after 2 weeks in the FV @ 20c. Clearly I'm not waiting long enough or de-gassing properly. I'm learning :)

Hey Joe,

The yeast will still do their job so all will be good. 1020 seems high, was this consecutive for a few days? If you are bottling prematurely you will possibly have bottle bombs which obviously is not a good thing.

Cheers,

Hoppy

It's bottled in the Coopers PET bottles. I'm keeping an eye on them. It's been 6 days and they're firm' date=' but not rock hard.[/quote']

If they get too firm or over-carbonated then you can unscrew the cap, release some pressure and re-tighten it.

Archived