Coopers Community

Balter XPA

Karstiron

Yum!

Got it on tap at the Brunswick Heads hotel on the weekend. Not sure how far from the brewery in Currumbin the kegs are going at the moment, but it was a really good drop on tap. Very hoppy and only 5% ABV.

Pretty expensive in the can from what I have seen (around $60 for a carton of 16). But at least they're 375s.

Recommended.

It is a very good beer and I have a pretty close clone of it if anyone is interested.

The odd thing is that my hops are totally different to their official description' date=' I wasn't trying to copy it but sort of stumbled on something close to it by mistake[/quote']

Sure thing - if you're willing to share the recipe I'm all ears!

It is a very good beer and I have a pretty close clone of it if anyone is interested.

The odd thing is that my hops are totally different to their official description' date=' I wasn't trying to copy it but sort of stumbled on something close to it by mistake[/quote']

Sure thing - if you're willing to share the recipe I'm all ears!

No worries, for 21L with a 10L boil:

2500g DME

375g Wheat DME

250g Dex

125g Crystal 60L

14g Columbus @60min

14g Columbus @30min

14g Simcoe @30min

25g Centennial @Flameout

50g Simcoe @Flameout

25g Amarillo @Flameout

25g Centennial @Dry hop

25g Columbus @Dry hop

25g Amarillo @Dry hop

Ferment with Mangrove Jacks M44 @ 18c

OG1052, 49IBU

Came out very nice indeed. I've brewed this 4 times now, though never really trying to clone Balter.

Next time I brew it I may bump up the whirlpool and dry hops by 10%, when converting from my 2 gallon imperial recipe I rounded down and wish I had left it as it was.

To make more of a clone maybe try some caramalt and also sub out the dextrose as it currently is a bit drier and isn't as sweet as Balter (which I personally find a bit sweet after a few).

The IBUs are a bit high (Balter being 30-35IBU) but my calculator gives 15IBU from Whirlpool additions, which I know many disregard. Balter say they use lots of citra which I don't taste. As I said, I wasnt aiming for a clone but this was close, even when drinking side by side with an XPA.

What the hell is an XPA anyway? It does sound nice though~!

Good question. F knows.

Another invented style that is trying to describe the place between an APA and IPA is the best description I have come across. And I have nothing against inventing styles. All for it actually.

This one is super hoppy in flavour but not bitterness. Is it just a session IPA by another name? Don't know. It's good though.

No worries' date=' for 21L with a 10L boil:...[/quote']

Cool - thanks for that! With over 200g of hops I can see how you got the flavour of the Balter XPA. Might try that hop schedule with a Golden Promise malt bill and see how it turns out...

Balter is only a few minutes away from where I lve and we try to get there on a Sunday arvo whenever we can. Popular here with the locals.

I have done a couple of all grain brews of the Brew Dog Hop Fiction and I think that is pretty close also.

Hop Fiction uses Chinook, Amarillo and Mosaic and for the malt I have been using Weyerman Pale Ale, which I am pretty sure is what Balter use as I have seen the bags of grain there.

Yeah there are a few more of these Pale Ales under the "XPA" (Extra Pale Ale) guise starting to surface around the place. A very good one made here in SA is Mismatch Brewing Co.'s XPA

At 5.8% using some lovely hops it is ripping beer if you like this fuller bodied hoppy type pale ale style.

For the moment though, the "XPA" tag only helps to confuse consumers further about what it is they are buying, but I do like where the apparent beer style appears to sit in maybe creating some separation within the current enormous scope encompassing the pale ale category of beers.

Hopefully we start to see more them. cool

Keep your eye out for the Mismatch XPA, it's a beauty! love

Cheers,

Lusty.

I like the XPA style (that's not a style) tongue

Had a session on the Balter XPA a couple of months ago at the Coolangatta Hotel. Very nice.

The Mismatch one is also a nice beer. I have only tried that once but it went down easily.

Believe it or not' date=' that hop bill started life as a Pliny the Elder clone which evolved into a sub 50IBU pale[/quote']

Pliny the Elder... Have yet to lay eyes on one. I asked a craft brew store whether he ever got them in and he just laughed at me.

Just got back from a drive to the LHBS and went Via Camperdown Cellars.

Somehow this ended up in my basket! You guys working on commission?!

LOL - wish I was 'cos I think it's going to be a very popular brew. Curious to know what you think of it.

Believe it or not' date=' that hop bill started life as a Pliny the Elder clone which evolved into a sub 50IBU pale[/quote']

Pliny the Elder... Have yet to lay eyes on one. I asked a craft brew store whether he ever got them in and he just laughed at me.

I doubt we will ever see it here, from what I read it is hard to get Pliny in half of America. They guarantee it's freshness and Russian River won't compromise its reputation with long distance shipping.

There are a couple of amazing clones out there with input from the brewery. I brewed an extract version using their hop schedule and it ended up at almost 150IBU! Beautiful hop flavour and aroma but I've been winding down the bitterness and abv to make it into a sessionable pale.

Why buy it, when you can make it.

HBT Top 100 (2015) - No.42: Double IPA Pliny The Elder Clone

Cheers,

Lusty.

Why buy it, when you can make it.

HBT Top 100 (2015) - No.42: Double IPA Pliny The Elder Clone

Cheers,

Lusty.

Exactly!

Archived