Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Yeast

Petermur

• 7 months later...

I'm going to brew the Coopers Vintage 2019 ale in the next couple of weeks and need to harvest some of Cooper's commercial yeast. The question is, is it the same yeast in all of Cooper's brews or are there differences.

I still have a six pack of the vintage ale lesf but also have a few cans of the XPA, which is can fermented. Can I use either to harvest the yeast or should I go for the Vintage ale to be more "authentic"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm going to brew the Coopers Vintage 2019 ale in the next couple of weeks and need to harvest some of Cooper's commercial yeast. The question is, is it the same yeast in all of Cooper's brews or are there differences.

I still have a six pack of the vintage ale lesf but also have a few cans of the XPA, which is can fermented. Can I use either to harvest the yeast or should I go for the Vintage ale to be more "authentic"?

Same yeast in all but i would go get a six pack of mild ale or pale ale. Also the earliest Best After date on the six pack. Reason for mild or pale is being a lower ABV the more cells that are available which havent been killed by the higher alcohol content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Harvested mine from six Pale Ale bottles last night.  No activity in the soft drink bottle yet though.

Planning to do the 2019 Vintage Ale ROTM next weekend. 😊

I put together the CCA re-activation a couple of days ago. It's farting CO² nicely & smells just fine. It'll likely go into a Coopers DIY XPA brew tomorrow or later in the week.

For those interested in using Coopers Commercial Ale yeast, take a look at the Coopers DIY demonstration video on how to re-activate it successfully.

Re-activating Coopers Yeast

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I've had some CCA yeast harvested from 2 precious brews in a jar in the fridge for a couple months. I poured off the water from the jar and used some wort from the beer I brewed yesterday, swirled around and pitched yesterday afternoon. 

By lunch time today it'll be 24 hours. I've looked at the brew this morning and there doesn't appear to be any activity whatsoever. 

How long should I give this yeast before I need to think about repitching? Don't wanna spoil this beer as it smells awesome. 

58 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I've had some CCA yeast harvested from 2 precious brews in a jar in the fridge for a couple months. I poured off the water from the jar and used some wort from the beer I brewed yesterday, swirled around and pitched yesterday afternoon. 

By lunch time today it'll be 24 hours. I've looked at the brew this morning and there doesn't appear to be any activity whatsoever. 

How long should I give this yeast before I need to think about repitching? Don't wanna spoil this beer as it smells awesome. 

Id be careful about using slurry beyond the 3 week to a month mark mate. Lots of cell death in that time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I've done it before without any dramas. I've got some packets of dried yeast on standby in the fridge. If there's no sign of any activity after say 24 hours, should I pitch them in to try and get this thing going, or give it a bit longer?

Yeah so have I till i had a shocker with the CCA yeast and had my first and only ever stall which i couldn't restart. Like you i repitched to finish it. Normally a slurry will start in a few hours. No activity in 24 tells me that there has been a bit of cell death in there.

I just had another look, appears something is happening. There's condensation on the inside of the lid and a foam starting up. Should I see how it goes or just repitch some packet yeast just in case? That white foam activity wasn't there this morning when I checked. Was just the wort.

20191006_124600.jpg

• Like 1

Yep looks like a good sign.

Hopefully the lag time was the yeast going through a growth phase due to depleted/lower starting cell count that Greeny mentioned, & it all ferments out OK

Eventually the smell of the brew will tell you whether it's OK or infected.

Best of luck.

Lusty.

• Like 1

+1 to what Lusty said.

I would leave it for the moment.  It does look like my CCA fermented brews in the past.  Judging by your pictures it is now on its way.  If the fermetation signs continue just leave it.  Check your SG in two days to see how it is going.  I keep the SG sample beside the fermenter as a bit of an indicator of what is continuing to occur in the fermenter - if it is dropping, then in all likelihood, so is what is in the fermenter.

Way too much ale yeast can be a negative thing, not leading to ruination, just a blandness to the taste.

Having said that, I do not think it would matter if you dropped in a packet worth of Coopers rehydrated dry yeast.  Given that your slurry was a few months old, it would have had a fair bit of die off.  Therefore adding a bit more yeast at this stage will be more of a top-up rather than an overpitch. 

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone tell me what attenuation to expect from the CCY? I've been fermenting it at around 21º and seem to be getting 65%.

For me it varies.  See table of results below:

image.png.7954c52b53823185940506a0e0938a0d.png

So it seems to do well in higher Original Gravity beers.  But a bit varied in mid-range OG beers.  I plan to reuse the yeast from my 2022 Vintage Ale to make a Coopers Pale Ale and a Sparkling Ale.  I will use 80% attenuation for them.

• Thanks 2

@Cheap Charlie

I second what @Shamus O'Sean has posted here but I would like to add that I am a big user of this yeast and having done 23 batches using CCA yeast (Coopers strain #112) in the last two years I have achieved and average of 83% attenuation.  That being said the highest OG was 1.053 and the lowest was 1.043.  I use starters to slightly over-pitch the volume and I always pitch the yeast in at under 18 C and then set the temp control to 18 C, ferment for 4 days then up at 22 C for another 4 days before starting my cold crash profile.  Low and slow for starters just like they did in the old days. 

I never waver from this temp profile and always get superb beers.  Most ferments ended up at down around 1.008 to 1.009 so my average was 83% attenuation with properly started yeast pitches.

So if you plug in 80-83 % I reckon you would be close to the money.

Good luck with the CCA, it is a fantastic ale yeast and cheap if you recycle or re-harvest.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1