Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Yeast

Petermur

I bottled a Coopers Pale Ale with some harvested ale yeast.  I decided to do just a pale ale to compare it with some I have done with kit yeast. So far the smell was great.  I harvested some more yeast from that brew.  

I don't think it's just about saving a couple of dollars with the yeast, but that helps.  I like trying new things, developing different flavours and seeing how it goes.  I have been reading a bit lately about how to harvest wild yeast.  That would be pretty cool to develop your own yeast strain.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hermoor said:

That would be pretty cool to develop your own yeast strain

I had a mate who did it in his garden in Marrickville.  The sour ale he brewed was yummy, funky.  Defnitely some Bret in his yard!

Lots of trial and error, I think he left cloth covered jars in 5 point in his yard, harvested, built them up and tasted each.  3 were horrible, two were worth building up again for pitching into an actual brew.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I caught some yeast in a sample of wort left on the laundry bench once. Fermented a small amount of excess wort from an SNPA clone batch with it. 

Tasted forken awful. Bitter, yeasty crap. Glad it was only two stubbies worth 😂

Haha well I'm not surprised given it was in the laundry! But in the garden under some nice fruit trees might be different. 

• Haha 1

Yeah you're probably right. It wasn't really deliberate though, just forgot to empty the hydro sample after a brew day and a couple of days later it was fermenting. Small white layer in the bottom and no vinegar smells so I thought I'd see what happened. 

I've left them sitting on the bar and they've begun fermenting as well but in those instances there was a strong vinegar smell so not worth doing anything with.

How many generations could you get with this CCA yeast before it started adversely affecting your beer?

I've taken this from 8 session ale stubs, currently brewing a pale ale with it, plan on dumping either a toucan stout or ESVA right on top of the yeast once this batch is bottled (as per KRs video)

I tried some rhubarb wine recently that was spritzy and delicious.  Beautiful pink colour.  I asked her what yeast she used and she said  "I didn't use yeast.  It wasn't in the recipe."  

It seems it is the same principle with elderflower champagne : brewed without adding yeast.   The trick I am told is not to wash the fruit or flowers and let the natural yeast do their thing.

44 minutes ago, James of Bayswater said:

I tried some rhubarb wine recently that was spritzy and delicious.  Beautiful pink colour.  I asked her what yeast she used and she said  "I didn't use yeast.  It wasn't in the recipe."  

It seems it is the same principle with elderflower champagne : brewed without adding yeast.   The trick I am told is not to wash the fruit or flowers and let the natural yeast do their thing.

And the praying that the right yeast will do it justice. Works out pretty bad if the wrong yeast gets a hold of it. 

13 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

How many generations could you get with this CCA yeast before it started adversely affecting your beer?

I've taken this from 8 session ale stubs, currently brewing a pale ale with it, plan on dumping either a toucan stout or ESVA right on top of the yeast once this batch is bottled (as per KRs video)

Hi Karlos

I have read people on this Forum talk about just a couple of generations.  I have only reused the CCA yeast once (just harvested the slurry from my fermenter after bottling).  However, if you used it to make a starter using the Kelsey method, I do not see why you could not produce many generations.

11 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

has anyone re activated /harvested and dried this yeast for EASIER use in the future ? Yes it's a good yeast but ffs it's a pain in the ass 

'Tis a bit of a pain.  What about harvesting,washing and draining off liquid aftera couple of washes and freezing?  Does anyone have experience with freezing CCA and how to reactivate it.

Or is freezing yeast a no - no with brewing?

You can freeze yeast but it's usually done in a glycerine solution. Not really worth it unless you want to keep a strain on hand for years in my view though. 

If you have the equipment it could be reused the same way I do from starters easily enough without having to culture it up from bottles all the time though.

Hi guys.

Sorry to be the one to put a dampener on the whole "making your own strain of yeast" thing, but heed this warning...

...do it at your own risk. ☠️

When you go out of your way to populate an unknown strain of wild yeast understand that these strains survive & develop more easily & quickly than typical strains that are easily sanitised & removed from your brewing vessels & equipment from brew to brew.

A former member of this forum that brewed 3V all-grain described how his cultivation of a wild strain ruined almost 6 months worth of brews after the initial brew he made using the wild yeast strain as it got into nooks & crannies & survived typical sanitation regimes to infect further brews.

He ended up having to bleach bomb his entire brewery setup. EVERYTHING to rid him of this wild strain.

Do so at your own peril. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

5 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I reckon my CCA yeast has stalled. I did a Cooper's APA kit n kilo, OG was 1040 and after a week it's stuck at about 1013, which equals about 3.5% ABV.

Any suggestions?

What was the kilo in your kit n kilo?