Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Yeast

Petermur

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Just making another CCA yeast again. I've got the yeast from 8 stubbies ready to go.

I'm not planning on brewing for another couple weeks. Once the starter has fermented, how long can I store it in the fridge for?

2 weeks is fine. No problems. After a month or so i get nervous about viability loss. Kelsey did a microscope viability over time experiment which showed it didn't lose much after a month but i had a slow ferment from yeast which should have had plenty of cells so anything over a month i will make another. 

Chuck it in cold. My reading suggests it's actually better for the health of the yeast than letting it warm up for hours first. I've been using this method for ages, consistently quick starts and ferments out in under a week. I do it when I make starters as well and they're usually up and going in a couple of hours. 

Further to what greeny has said, if I'd left a culture of yeast sitting longer than a month I'd probably make another starter as well just in case, but I usually just make them 5-6 days before pitching so they can ferment out and then settle out in the fridge for a day or two prior. 

If I use this CCA yeast to follow this site's recipe for a stock standard Cooper's Pale Ale clone (no dry hop) could I keep the leftover trub, fridge it in a sanitised jar, then re-used for another beer like the ESVA afterward?

I've never reused or harvested yeast before because I always dry hop commando. Is the process that simple?

4 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

If I use this CCA yeast to follow this site's recipe for a stock standard Cooper's Pale Ale clone (no dry hop) could I keep the leftover trub, fridge it in a sanitised jar, then re-used for another beer like the ESVA afterward?

I've never reused or harvested yeast before because I always dry hop commando. Is the process that simple?

With CCA it really is that easy , you could try yeast washing to get rid of some of the trub .

As long as your first batch ferments clean and you pay attention to sanitation during your collection / storage it'll work just fine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Without kicking off another brawl like on the Yeast thread. Just be careful how much you pitch. I usually work on 1.5bn per ml with my slurry so 130ml or so of compacted yeast for a 200bn cell count. EVSA is higher gravity though so i would go 150ml of compacted slurry.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Without kicking off another brawl like on the Yeast thread. Just be careful how much you pitch. I usually work on 1.5bn per ml with my slurry so 130ml or so of compacted yeast for a 200bn cell count. EVSA is higher gravity though so i would go 150ml of compacted slurry.

I was just gonna chuck the lot in...

It's not really that difficult. For me, I mainly use liquid strains so reusing them like I do saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Each one usually keeps going for 2 years or more. 40-45 batches over a 2 year period, reuse saves about $550-$600 in yeast costs. Sure there's a couple of bucks for the starter DME but that's better than $13.50. Doesn't sound heaps but that money can go towards hops and grain instead. 

My CCA yeast has been in the fridge for a few days. How much should settle on the bottom? I used 8 stubbies but I'd be lucky to have 2cm worth settled on the bottom of the bottle. Is this normal? Do I just tip out some of the wort n then stir up the settled stuff and pitch that?

• 3 weeks later...

So I brewed a basic Cooper's Pale Ale extract as per the recipe on here yesterday. I had a CCA yeast I'd made from 8 stubs of session ale yeast in the fridge for almost 2 weeks, poured off the wort and pitched it yesterday and stirred in thoroughly. 

24 hours later I've got fermentation started, however there's already trub on the bottom of the FV. Never seen this so early on in the process before.

Any ideas what's causing this and/or is it anything to be concerned with?

20190213_125440.jpg

7 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Fair enough. This is the first beer I've kept in the Cooper's FV in my new fridge. Used to ferment in a cube in my 12v fridge.so couldn't see the bottom. She'll be right 👍

It would have been there every time. All good.