Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Yeast

Petermur

If you want to arrive at a similar amount of yeast then you would have to feed it more, or a better way to put it might be to do an extra step. So you'd culture it from the stubbies in the same way then put the yeast from that into a small amount of wort, maybe 500mL-1L or so, to build it up further. You'd probably end up with more yeast doing that than just using 6 stubbies alone, but it would take a couple of days longer.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If you want to arrive at a similar amount of yeast then you would have to feed it more, or a better way to put it might be to do an extra step. So you'd culture it from the stubbies in the same way then put the yeast from that into a small amount of wort, maybe 500mL-1L or so, to build it up further. You'd probably end up with more yeast doing that than just using 6 stubbies alone, but it would take a couple of days longer.

Thanks Otto.

So I'm a little worried my yeast may have stalled. A week in to fermentation and it's only down to 1.025 and there's evident sweetness. It probably got a bit cold during the recent cold snap as I was having to swap the heat belt between two fermenters, so it might have gone as low as 24° ?

Yeah, I meant 14. Warning it seems to have un-stuck it.

the weird thing is though that the first sample I took hasn't re-started in the hydrometer, but the one I took today seems to have gone further. 1.027 vs. 1.022. Different hydrometers so I'll still keep an eye on it, but they usually agree so I'm happy enough. 

Spotting a trend with coopers commercial yeast and stalling. Didn’t it happen lusty with his sparking ale. That’s why I stuck with us05. At least you know in an 11g packet what you’re getting. Faffing about with stubbys and coke bottles is a pain the hoop and invariably mucks up the brew. I think coopers have only suggested using their commercial yeast to save on the packet of us05 

I think the stalling is more a product of underpitching it than anything else. If you culture it from stubbies and just use that it probably isn't enough yeast for a standard batch but put that into a litre or so starter first it should build it up enough to prevent the stalling from happening.

I don't think the suggestion is based on anything more than achieving as close as possible to the original beer at home. If it was to save on yeast costs then they'd suggest that yeast for every recipe they come out with instead of providing the extra sachet of whatever yeast is in the recipe, which they don't.

I dunno. I buy the ROTM most months. Looks at the Bavarian IPA.  For $53 you got an IPA can ,some DME  , a few pellets and us05. 

For ESVA you pay 58 for two cans of extract , a load of hops, grains, dextrose but no yeast

theres definitely a disparity there in price v ingredients. The ESVA is bang for your buck compared to Bavarian IPA. 

So to look after their margins they cut back on us05 which is five dollars ( the same difference in price between the packs) and suggested you buy one of their $20 six packs and get your own yeast 

Coincidence???

the prosecution rests your honor 

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Spotting a trend with coopers commercial yeast and stalling. Didn’t it happen lusty with his sparking ale. That’s why I stuck with us05. At least you know in an 11g packet what you’re getting. Faffing about with stubbys and coke bottles is a pain the hoop and invariably mucks up the brew.  

I've had this strain ferment out

extra high gravity (1.100 RIS)  

Low ph brews ( ph 3.5 Berliner wiess)  

10 or so pale / sparkling ale clones and each one fermented out easily 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Spotting a trend with coopers commercial yeast and stalling. Didn’t it happen lusty with his sparking ale. 

That's the first time I've had any problems with it after at least a dozen home brewed beers using the commercial yeast strain. I'm still scratching my head as to what happened. ?

The Sparkling Ale brew turned out fine btw. ?

I'll still be using the strain in future brews.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Its a strain where you need an oversized starter compared to other ale yeasts. For a sparkling ale high 5% ABV job id be using a 2Lish starter. For a pale ale mid 4s a 1.5L starter. It wont stall if you use less but it will take a loooonnggg time to finish off. Thats what about 7 or 8 batches has taught me.

I have 4 different yeast strains, which I regularly reactivate using slurry from bottles of previous batches.  Drinking a pint of Lemon Myrtle Witbier at the moment, which is up to batch #18.

If you stick closely to the instructions, you will greatly increase the chances of success. Take note of the "additional points" and don't pitch it into the brew too early - be patient.

• Thanks 1

I used the method as per the video except I got the yeast from 3 tallies instead.  Probably shouldn't matter, but that is not the point of this comment.

I wonder if the tightened cap and the fermenting going on created so much pressure that the mixture could not freely ferment and grow the yeast culture?

What I noticed is; I would go to the cupboard and the bottle would have no head formed.  Gave it a bit of a shake and it foamed up well.  To the point that I thought the pressure was pretty high in the coke bottle, so eased off the cap and released pressure, but not too much as it foamed up even more.  Re-tightened the cap and left for half a day.

When I went back next: no head, but lots of pressure in the bottle.  This time, before I shook the bottle, I loosened the cap and squeezed the bottle and re-tightened, creating a vacuum, before I shook the bottle.  Foamed up as well as last time but with a bit less pressure.  One of the last times I did this, after I loosened the cap and squeezed the bottle and before I shook the bottle, I noticed immediate good fermentation type bubbling in the bottle.  It made me wonder if in between the shaking of the bottle, the cap should be left sufficiently loosened so gas can escape and the mixture can ferment and grow more freely.

This last shake was the morning of the afternoon that I had to put down the ESVA, so did not have time to leave the yeast any longer to test this theory.

By the way I reckon there was barely any more yeast in the culture on Sunday than what I harvested from the bottles on Thursday.  Might not end up making the world's best ESVA, but it is currently bubbling away nicely, without ever forming a krausen to speak of.

Cheers Shamus