Coopers Community

Coopers Commercial Yeast

Petermur

Hi All,

Just watched King Ruddiger's video on re-using the yeast harvested from four stubbies of Coopers Pale Ale - method is to leave a couple of centimetres of beer in each bottle, add sugar and boiled water, and set aside for a few days.

Three questions -

1. Can I use two tallies instead of the four stubbies. (Coopers Website makes no mention of tallies, only stubbies).

2. Is this enough to make 23L of my next extract pale ale.

3. Does anyone use this method on a regular basis. Most discussions on the Forum seem to advocate using yeasts such as US05 etc or kit yeast.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Can you use dextrose instead of table sugar?

Really not that much of a difference. From what I’ve read before Dex is a single chain sugar and cane sugar is two chain sugar. So therefor the double chain sugar gets Broken down to single before being eaten up by yeast. 

Dex will ferment a tad bit quicker but noticeable? Probably not.

Captain 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 9:09 PM, Petermur said:

Hi All,

Just watched King Ruddiger's video on re-using the yeast harvested from four stubbies of Coopers Pale Ale - method is to leave a couple of centimetres of beer in each bottle, add sugar and boiled water, and set aside for a few days.

Three questions -

1. Can I use two tallies instead of the four stubbies. (Coopers Website makes no mention of tallies, only stubbies).

2. Is this enough to make 23L of my next extract pale ale.

3. Does anyone use this method on a regular basis. Most discussions on the Forum seem to advocate using yeasts such as US05 etc or kit yeast.

Thanks.

1. 3 tallies would be much better. I wouldn't use it on a batch with 2 only. Will be an underpitch.

2. It will ferment it out fine. But after using CCA yeast about half a dozen times I have found fermenting low 18c and requiring more yeast gets a better result than ~20c so I tend to make a starter and build it up to 1.5L.

3. CCA is a great yeast. If your looking for an authentic Aussie Pale ale or Sparkling Ale then this is the yeast.

For temps if you want fruity go high 20-22c. For a cleaner result with a touch of fruityness go around the 18c.  But IMO you need more yeast than the 6 pack or 3 tallies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

For temps if you want fruity go high 20-22c. For a cleaner result with a touch of fruityness go around the 18c.  But IMO you need more yeast than the 6 pack or 3 tallies.

So how do u make yours? Do u use 8 stubbies or something?

I'm just looking into it because I want to make a Cooper's session ale next

6 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I was thinking the same, wanted to try the session ale next. Good luck finding any Melba hops at the moment. only place I could find any was from England and i'm not paying $26 shipping for 25gms.

Just now, Sion Di 13 said:

I was thinking the same, wanted to try the session ale next. Good luck finding any Melba hops at the moment. only place I could find any was from England and i'm not paying $26 shipping for 25gms.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a fire and a growers place went up in flames. I don't know when the next harvest season is anyone know when and where to pick some up?

2 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I'm just going to sub in Citra for the Melba. There was a thread on here somewhere where someone else did this and had great results.

cool, I might give it a go too, still trying to decide if I go the Amber ale with some of the $#!t Ton of hops I got given or stick to my original idea and go the Session Ale next. It will get done ether way but I still am ageing my first brew and my second gets bottled on Monday, I just want some beer to drink. I'm getting impatient. All this beer to brew but none to drink. I want to set my self up with a nice variety so have my first 6 planed out, I am going to go back to back to get a good supply up and get a handle on this brewing game.  I have about 120+ pet bottles I was given so should be able to get a nice stockpile up over the next couple of months. Just wish I hadn't started with a Larger that is taking a while to age up.

2 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Yeah you can do that. And if your stuck for time that's the way to do it. More stubbie equals more yeast.

You can do it from one stubbie if you have the time. 1 stubbie in 100ml of wort ( 10gms of dried malt in 100ml of water. Boiled for 10 mins then cooled ). When it Ferments out decant and put it in another 400ml of wort. When that Ferments out decant and put it in another 1.5L of wort. That's a stepped starter and will work as well.

Each step is basically a generation. But as long as your careful with cleanliness and sanitation its not a problem. 

Note though that commercial breweries regulary go 10 or so generations so your bottle may be a 9th generation or something like that. I use the CCA yeast 2 or 3  times then get another few bottles because of that. You just dont know how many times the yeast has been used.

If i buy a yeast i will regularly go out to 10 or more as long as the beer tastes fine.

I have tried this process twice. One key thing is leaving the bottles in the fridge for a week or so, so all the yeast can settle. The first time I didn't leave them in long enough and didn't get enough yeast. The resulting underpitch in a 23l batch of mid strength produced quite a lot of pear ester.

The second time I waited longer and used 6 stubbies for an 11 litre batch and repitched several times. Every beer turned out great, especially an improved version of the Coopers Session Ale (more hops, lower abv). 

Cheers, 

John

You've all got me a little bit scared now. I've had a six pack of pale in the fridge since Saturday and was aiming on doing the process on Sunday as per the Coopers video instructions.

off the top of my head, 600mls water and 60g sugar into the harvested yeast into a 1.5litre bottle and shaken a couple times a day until krausen. Then ready for pitching. 

Question: Is this going to be enough to get through a brew of around 1.042 O.G ?

I want to re-harvest the yeast again after this brew and I'd like a 'clean' coopers strain ideally,  so the idea of maybe having to pitch more of a different yeast at it if I get a stuck ferment kind of sucks.

Any help/thoughts always appreciated, although I suppose I'll just go get a tallie or two tomorrow after work just to be sure ?

Cheers, Lee

5 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

You've all got me a little bit scared now. I've had a six pack of pale in the fridge since Saturday and was aiming on doing the process on Sunday as per the Coopers video instructions.

off the top of my head, 600mls water and 60g sugar into the harvested yeast into a 1.5litre bottle and shaken a couple times a day until krausen. Then ready for pitching. 

Question: Is this going to be enough to get through a brew of around 1.042 O.G ?

I want to re-harvest the yeast again after this brew and I'd like a 'clean' coopers strain ideally,  so the idea of maybe having to pitch more of a different yeast at it if I get a stuck ferment kind of sucks.

Any help/thoughts always appreciated, although I suppose I'll just go get a tallie or two tomorrow after work just to be sure ?

Cheers, Lee

I did get the same thing as John first time I used it. That was a simple APA can and can of liquid malt. It didnt get stuck but it was a slow ferment and too fruity for my liking. If your not keen on doing a starter then if its me id make sure and get an extra bottle or two.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 9:09 PM, Petermur said:

King Ruddiger's video on re-using the yeast harvested from four stubbies of Coopers Pale Ale

I've been trying to find this video and in the process followed some links which simply drop me at the Cooper's home page.  Sometimes I can find what I'm looking for because I have a fairly good idea where to look (eg a link starting with FAQ).  Others, well how long can you go looking?  I guess the Website reconfigure/ update meant lots of link addresses became invalid.

Is there any way of tracing these broken links?