Coopers Community

2008 VINTAGE ALE

PB2

The 2008 Vintage Ale is rolling out of the brewery 8)

Haven't tasted it myself but I am told it's a ripper!

For the hopheads out there - the brew included Pride of Ringwood, Fuggles and Styrian Golding hops.

Here is a cut and past from the taste panel's notes:

When poured, this beer gives distinctive rich heady foam on the surface and a deep copper red/brown coloured beer derived from the combined use of Australian grown malted barley and crystal malt. The initial aroma is of intense estery, sweet and floral characters followed by moderate to strong palate fullness rich in malt flavours and finished with a lingering crisp bitterness.

Keep an eye out for it at your local bottlo - should be seeing it within the next 2 weeks.

I'm told we have filled 50l kegs with 2008 Vintage. However, it seems that they are in short supply and have been pre-allocated to specific functions/events.

So perhaps bottles would be your best option.

Only 375ml. A few of us, here, have suggested that 750ml Vintage would be a good seller (a bit like picking up a bottle of wine at the local bottlo) and would age more gracefully being a bigger vessel - but the idea doesn't seem to win any favour with hierachy. :(

Typical, I agree with you. I always buy the 750ml bottles. And let them age a further 12 months before I drink them. Also found if I drink two 750ml, just enough. However if I drink stubbies I can go to 8 to 10 before I have my fill.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I think it needs time for the bitterness to soften and the flavours to meld. In some ways this is exciting because the increased bitterness and the high alcohol content contribute to longevity - this may develop into the best vintage ever! :D

Perhaps, when drinking it young, you will find that it tastes better with food?? Particularly a food with strong flavour. My first 2008 taste was the stubby poured into a glass, drank half of it, then drank the rest with some aged cheddar - a marked improvement!

• 1 month later...

Paul, has been sitting in my spare room!! I am keen to try it...but have to wait a little longer...I am 38.5 weeks pregnant....it's been a long 9 months without beer!! Will advise when I eventually get to crack one! Cheers. Lynda

Rusty, thanks for your suggestion!!! I might be able to try one sooner than I anticipated if it'sgood for breastfeeding! You've made my day! I will be sure to report back when I finally do the taste test. Thanks again. Lynda.

• 1 month later...

Lynda, if you're looking for a taster for you '99 Vintage, might I offer my services, I think a six pack should just about do it, and I'll let you know regarding suitability for you to imbibe....... you now know how to reach me.

Oh, and GL & all the best with the bubs.

Philby. thanks for your offer to be a taste tester!!! However, I think I may be able to handle that myself in due course!!!

For info, Lara Rose joined us on 23/10/08 & she is beautiful!!

I just have to survive the sleepless nights! (& keep up with my 2 year old!)

I think I need a beer now!

Cheers

Lynda

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just opend a Vintage 08, Ive had two sips and im bery impressed!!! Even the cat is hanging around i think she wants some to!

Im looking forward to the Adelaide club night next month, having a chat with you (Paul) and Glenn as well as other Adelaide Coopers club members and having a tatse of the 09 Vintage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived