Coopers Community

Thick sludge at bottom of fermenter

tire38

Hello, I am completely green at this and I just bottled my first Cooper's DIY kit. (Mexican Cerveza)

There was a light colored sludge in the bottom of the fermenter that I am a little concerned with. It has been bottled for 5 days now and the beer looks OK but when I turn a bottle upside down I can see a little residue float down. Normal or do I have a problem?

When brewing there is always that sludge at the bottom of the fermenter, it's called trub and is basically a sediment of yeast and other broken down parts of your brew ingredients. The trub can differ with different brews/ingredients.

And when you bottle your home brew some of course gets in the bottle, especially the last few bottles. I don't mind the cloudy appearance of homebrew so I don't cold crash, and I don't mind the taste of the last few bottles that have more sediment than usual. But I tip the last few litres as it is too sludgey.

There will always be a little white sludge in the bottles too , even if you use finings and cold crash before bottling .

because we need the yeast to fart a bit more bubbles into the beer we give them priming sugar , it's called a bottle conditioned beer and it's the natural way of doing it .

when it comes time to drink them first leave them upright in the fridge for a few days to get the yeast to drop to bottom of the bottle , pour carefully into a chilled clean glass leaving the yeast behind.

Voila ! Crystal clear home crafted beer !

There will always be a little white sludge in the bottles too ' date=' even if you use finings and cold crash before bottling .

because we need the yeast to fart a bit more bubbles into the beer we give them priming sugar , it's called a bottle conditioned beer and it's the natural way of doing it .

when it comes time to drink them first leave them upright in the fridge for a few days to get the yeast to drop to bottom of the bottle , pour carefully into a chilled clean glass leaving the yeast behind.

Voila ! Crystal clear home crafted beer ![/quote']

Don't worry about the trub make stout you cant see it anyway lol

Yeah Otto, hear what your saying, but for example, in a Pale Ale, I like that traditional cloudy, yeasty appearance. So a lot comes down to personal preference.

Some years back I spent a couple of weeks at Innaminka, and they had Coopers Pale Ale on tap. Mate it was cloudy, it was cold and it tasted brilliant. As I said, personal taste, but that is what the genuine PA is like, or so I believe.

Cheers

It is personal preference yeah. Aside from the appearance I do find that the beer tastes different if all the yeast is in suspension than when it's not. It's not a huge difference by any means, but it is there. I just prefer it without it, and it's probably a good thing because with kegs I don't have any choice once it all settles out in the bottom lol

• 4 months later...

Personally, I don't like the taste of mosts of the yeasts we use for homebrew - the exception being when cultured from Coopers bottles, and even then it doesn't taste the same as the original to me. I usually decant into a glass jug, though I am now moving to kegging. I started with a Beer Machine (I know, but it actually works just fine although it is more like two weeks before it is drinkable,) and am about to put my first beer into a corny.

Archived