Coopers Community

can you drink the non carbonated beer?

walkerzed

you can drink it , the priming sugar will add about an extra .5% booze but most importantly adds bubbles .

Conditioning isn't just about getting bubbles , the beer improves in taste , smell and mouthfeel in those few weeks as well

Darker beers will generally take many weeks to be at their best , Lagers usually get cold stored for a while before drinking as well

you might want to try a sample from the tap to gauge what you are up for, im not a fan of the flavour from a sample when doing hydro readings...

im assuming you still want to bottle the brew.

i have a friend who has a faulty valve above his stomach and cant burp (but he farts like a trooper!) so i have a couple of brews (mainly the english bitter) that i bulk prime at about 80-85g to get a really low carbonation rate on so we can have a several beers watching the v8's, and i quite enjoy them at a low carb level...

Q... if you bottle a brew without priming in one way or the other, unless you filter the yeast out of the brew, wont you still get a slight carbonation anyway?

If you bottle without priming you won't get carbonation unless either the fermentation hasn't finished, or the yeast secretes an enzyme that breaks down previously unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones.

I quite like the taste tests I do with my FG readings. They're usually pretty indicative of what the brew will end up like in the glass, albeit a little yeasty and usually more bitter than it ends up.

When I do keg only batches, I pour a few glasses from the FV before kegging the rest, just to clear out the tap area of gunk so it doesn't go in the keg. The last of these glasses is usually quite clean, and if I didn't keg on a work day I'd drink the whole thing. I would not want a full batch like that though.

• 1 year later...

Most English Real Ales are not carbonated at all apart from their cask conditioning and are lifted from the keg by use of a hand pump. These are the beers that I grew to absolutely love while living there (and My Aussie son in law switched onto them in a matter of days during his visit) I was happy to see him sampling every areas brew wherever we went. I have purchased a plastic keg from the UK which will be charged just sufficiently to force the beer out and preserve it while stored within but I will be trying to actively avoid excessive bubbles.

Muddy you've solved my confusion - I borrowed a home brew book from the library and it was this old fart style English one, full of stuff I hadn't seen before and lots of tables and numbers and so on.

Couldn't figure out what the hand pumped pressurised cask thing was but I think I get it now.

Hi Muddy

That reminds me of a movie from years ago called Young Einstein

Where he succeeded to blow himself and the shed up in the efforts to put bubbles in beer

Maybe that's where the theme for that part of the movie comes from

Interesting

Though each to there own

Carbonated beer does it for me

Archived