Coopers Community

brewing in hot conditions.

yacht home brew

I all, we live on a boat in Indonesia, and carry a kit and cans of brew for when the local Bintang is too expensive or can't get.

I put a brew down the other day (6 days ago) and couldn't get the temp down below 32 so just put the yeast in anyway. the next morn the brew hadn't started so I put a second in and it went mad and is still going..

the temp of the brew is around 32 which is ambient. I know it's to hot but that's all I can get and have had ok results in the past but the kits I am using are from when we were in Cairns over a year ago.

?shall I just let it go and bottle when it stops or what.

If you live on a yacht, then you must have lots of seawater available. Can you get a container big enough to put your fermenter? Fill it with seawater and then if you can get some ice, or make your own, put that in the water. Might just do the trick if you have room to do it. Good luck

perhaps you could pick up a couple of 12v computer fans from one of the local towns and retro fit them to a plug if your boat has 12v power, and use some wet towels to try and get evaporation to cool it down to a reasonable temperature, although i suppose is hard in the tropics like asia with so much humidity to get evaporation to do much?

Yeah, I agree with Greeny. Much as I love beer, I would not bother brewing if it was that hot. I'd stock up on white rum or vodka, which don't take up much room, and make mixed drinks when I couldn't get store bought beer. Isn't drinking rum a time honoured tradition among sailors?

When I go back country canoeing here in Canada, I take whiskey, so no mix is required; beer is just too bulky and heavy to portage. When I get back to civilization, I really enjoy that first beer.

A 750mL bottle of distilled spirits is equivalent to around 16 cans of beer.

BTW, canned beer keeps better than bottled beer. It is more compact as well, but I am sure you know that already.

Cheers!

Christina.

I've brewed at some hot temps before but never that high!

We're coming into Summer here in Aussie now (Although it doesn't feel like it currently!) and I then start using chilled water and having a fan constantly blowing on it. I also have a spare fridge that fits the fermenter. Can you get hold of a old fridge for this use as surely you can power it even if only part of the time. Good luck and I hope it comes out OK....

I put a brew down the other day (6 days ago) and couldn't get the temp down below 32 so just put the yeast in anyway. the next morn the brew hadn't started so I put a second in and it went mad and is still going.
Might be wrong but I have the feeling that your fermenting vessel has an airlock?? If so' date=' odds are that the first yeast was fermenting quite happily.

Please read this: Airlock FAQ

Oh, and welcome to the forum! biggrin

Mangrove Jack's M29 yeast - instructions on pack say 'for best results ferment at 26-32C'.

You can buy a 10g pack on line from www.brewerschoice.com.au for $5.90.

Cheers.

Yeah thats a Saison yeast. I'd be trying to do that at the lower range around 26 or 27. 32c you are really asking for nasty nasty hangovers IMO.

Yeah thats a Saison yeast. I'd be trying to do that at the lower range around 26 or 27. 32c you are really asking for nasty nasty hangovers IMO.

Should be fine. I brew saison at ambient in FNQ during the summer. Bike shed easily gets above that during the day. No nasty hangovers.

Can pale ale, can wheat malt, saison yeast - be great.

Archived