Coopers Community

Northen Brewer Recipes with Coopers DIY Kit?

Do you mean with the Coopers fermenter? Of course! Any recipe can be fermented in any fermenter (of sufficient capacity obviously).

Yes but they use two stage of fermentation?

You can rack the beer of to a secondary fermenter or not. The choice is yours. Keeping the beer in primary for 2 weeks then cold crashing after you reach final gravity is fine.

Do you mean with the Coopers fermenter? Of course! Any recipe can be fermented in any fermenter (of sufficient capacity obviously).

Yes but they use two stage of fermentation?

You can rack the beer of to a secondary fermenter or not. The choice is yours. Keeping the beer in primary for 2 weeks then cold crashing after you reach final gravity is fine.

Thanks

Hi Mashari. Cold crashing is optional too. wink

Do you mean you want to adapt one of their recipes to one of Cooper pre-hopped kits? Or are you going to use unhopped extract and do a 60 minute hop boil, like they do in the recipe? If you are going to do the later all you have to do is convert Imperial weights to metric, +/- taking into account any differences in colour for the specialty malts you can get locally. For example, if the recipe calls for Fawcett's Chocolate and you can only get Joe White Chocolate, you'll have to use a lot more; if the recipe calls for Briess Roasted Barley and you can only get Thomas Fawcett's, you have to use a lot less. If you have Ian's Spreadsheet, you can add the specs of any specialty malt to the grain tab.

On the other hand, if you want to skip the 60 minute boil and use a Coopers kit as the base, things are a little more complicated. Most likely you will have to increase the amount and/or boiling time of the finishing hops a bit to hit the target IBUs. The best Northern Brewer recipes for adaptation are ones with IBUs <40. In most cases the Coopers Original Series Lager kit will be the best choice to use as a base, unless the final recipe has IBUs between 18.5-22, in which case use the APA kit; if the IBUs are <18.5, use the Cervesa kit. Punch the Northern Brewer's extract kit recipe into some brewing software, like the Brewer's Friend Recipe Calculator, to figure out what the IBUs are supposed to be and go from there. If the target IBUs of the Northern Brewer recipe are >40, it is probably best to follow their recipe as written and do a 60 minute boil....BTW, it is easy to toggle back and forth between Imperial and metric measurements on the Brewer's Friend Calculator, but you have to keep an eye on the batch volume; sometimes it changes when you are doing that.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

Good luck and cheers!

Christina.

PS I guess this is obvious, but you will also have to match the OG of the Norther Brewer recipe, using LME or DME extract.

yes mate, coopers have this hop in there lager section steam lager recipe,

Steam Beer

(23 Litres)

“Steam Beer“, or California Common Beer (BJCP Style 7.B.), is a style that originates in the USA. It’s loosely known as a “warm ferment lager”, with a balance of hop and malt aromatics, full malt flavours and firm bitterness. The Steam Beer style is well within the grasp of home brewers, able to control ferment temp’ in the high teens to low 20’s. Secondary fermentation in the bottle also suits the style. The recipe recommends using two sachets of S-23 lager yeast, which will produce a beer true to the “Steam Beer” style. For those more adventurous brewers, a liquid yeast such as Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810, may be used.

Ingredients

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt (2x 500g)

25g US Northern Brewer Hops (or Cluster)

Two sachets of S-23 Lager Yeast

100g Dark Crystal Malt Grain

Coopers Carbonation Drops

He's talking about Northern Brewer as in the home brew mob over in the US' date=' not the hop variety. [img']tongue[/img]lol

Yup! It is the biggest home brew shop in the USA, and is behind BrewingTV.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits

Just noticed they also have a couple of 20 minute boil kits:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/20-minute-boil-kits

If you click on the "Additional Information" tab you get the recipe and instructions....I like the look of that Zoomin' Pale Ale.

Cheers!

Christina.

yes mate' date=' coopers have this hop in there lager section steam lager recipe,

Steam Beer

(23 Litres)

“Steam Beer“, or California Common Beer (BJCP Style 7.B.), is a style that originates in the USA. It’s loosely known as a “warm ferment lager”, with a balance of hop and malt aromatics, full malt flavours and firm bitterness. The Steam Beer style is well within the grasp of home brewers, able to control ferment temp’ in the high teens to low 20’s. Secondary fermentation in the bottle also suits the style. The recipe recommends using two sachets of S-23 lager yeast, which will produce a beer true to the “Steam Beer” style. For those more adventurous brewers, a liquid yeast such as Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810, may be used.

Ingredients

1.7kg Coopers Real Ale

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt (2x 500g)

25g US Northern Brewer Hops (or Cluster)

Two sachets of S-23 Lager Yeast

100g Dark Crystal Malt Grain

Coopers Carbonation Drops

[/quote']

Waylon,

With this recipe, how long do I boil the hops - how long steep the grains - will the S-23 Lager Yeast ferment OK around 20C.

Thanks.

Hey mate instructions for Coopers Steam Beer are here: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/16/

I brewed it recently and used mangrove jacks California Lager yeast instead. 2 x packets. Fermented at 18C.

Remember it is a lager yeast so at two weeks in bottle I had a sample. Not very good. Rather green with a homebrew twang to it. Have left it a few more weeks and it is improving. I am going to let the majority "lager" in my fridge until it is prime for drinking. Probably come late spring/summer

Hey mate instructions for Coopers Steam Beer are here: http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/16/

I brewed it recently and used mangrove jacks California Lager yeast instead. 2 x packets. Fermented at 18C.

Remember it is a lager yeast so at two weeks in bottle I had a sample. Not very good. Rather green with a homebrew twang to it. Have left it a few more weeks and it is improving. I am going to let the majority "lager" in my fridge until it is prime for drinking. Probably come late spring/summer

Thank you joolbag,

I have never looked at the lager recipies on Coopers as I thought they had to be brewed around 13C - I stick to ales mostly - hope your batch continues to improve.

Cheers.

you can ferment lagers at higher temps too... depending on the style, example steam beer or aussie lagers

Steam beers in calafornia use a lager stain that is fermented at low end ale temps...14-18

WLP810 is sanfransico yeast similler to CUB yeast in my opinion

CUB and many mainstream aussie lagers are fermented higher than ideal lager temps too

WLP 830 is a german yeast that is quite variable in temps from clean 10-12 or fruity 14-16

Archived