Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Discontinued

Deeks

The yeast that comes with it would be the standard coopers ale yeast that comes with any of the original series coopers cans.

If you're near innerwest Sydney I've got a stack of these in my fridge I could give you.

Any update on when the new Coopers Ginger Beer will be release?

It's been a while since the old one was discontinued so would like to try the new one as soon as it is released.

I also heard a rumour that BrewArt might be releasing a Ginger Beer BrewPrint so I will be happy if they do. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Has any one actually Phoned Coopers like i did 6 weeks ago

They explained why it was removed and promised me it would be back in a couple of months.

By my Calcs that makes it in the next few weeks.

Has anyone heard different.

Cheers

Why was it removed ?

Any news ?

This is what they sent me last week

is a bit different the last time i asked but here it is

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your enquiry and following up on the status of Coopers Ginger Beer brewing extract. At present we don’t have a date for when it is back on shelves.

Unfortunately we’ve just had a run of unforeseen road blocks in the production of Ginger Beer. Due to the nature of Ginger and its properties (smell, taste) it is extremely difficult to manufacture and as such we’ve unfortunately come across delays that were beyond anticipation. I can assure you that we want it produced and available just as much as you do! I thank you for your patience and rest assured we will make an announcement (you won’t be able to miss) once it is available again.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have been waiting in earnest for the new release, I actually rang Coopers some time mid last year when I couldn't find it on the shelves and spoke to a girl there, at the time she told me the new production run was a few months away putting the release around September 2017. Well guys it is now mid February 2018 and I don't see it on any shelves?? I unintentionally had a few cans of it for no other reason than I have the philosophy of I would rather say "here it is" than "where is it", I brewed a batch 2 weeks ago delicious, I have 1 can left. A couple of years back I tried to replicate the taste as I consider the coopers to be the best tasting ginger beer I have ever tasted, my feeble attempts to brew using fresh or powdered ginger didn't get me even close and we all know what the "other" brand of DIY ginger beer tastes like (puke). I have read the comments about the old batch tasting of artificial sweetener and until reading the comments I never give it a thought but bear in mind I condition in a keg and pour from tap and that improves the flavour of any of the Coopers DIY products as opposed to secondary fermentation in a bottle, but that is just my humble opinion. The fact is for me the coopers tastes better than anything else on the market wether it be a DIY or brewery produced off the shelf in a bottle. I have 20l on tap and 1 can left, I am getting desperate!!

Cheeky Peaks In wodonga makes a ginger beer that is beautiful and is ready to drink once you keg, so 14 days. It is $38 but you literally just toss the yeast in and just walk away.

https://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/cheeky-peak-ginger-beer-22ltr-fresh-wort-kit

This is on rotation at my house along with a MJ pear cider and whatever hoppy pale ale I make. Not sure about shipping costs but if you can try it, I would recommend it.

Cheers,

Norris

I just can't imagine what on earth the hold up is. I brewed several morgans gb kits what else can you do...l made a comment in another post suggesting to put the artificial sweetener in a small separate yeast size packet sashe, so gb brewers have an option to use or not to use...other than that re-label it and get it out there. I have mates that love it...toped up with some rum and it makes a great alcho-pop dark and stormy.

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:00 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't think a yeast sachet sized amount of sweetener would have much effect on a 20 odd litre batch

The MJ pouches have a sweetener sachet, bit bigger than yeast sachet size but is more than enough

• 5 months later...

Just buy some one else's ... for now.

Easier said than done.. I tried the only available ginger beer kit I could get in Canada, mangrove jacks ginger beer. It is horrible compared to the coopers kit. I have been trying to make a better (consistently) ginger beer for may years and gave up as I can't make anything better than the coopers kit myself.

Any suggestions for a substitute? A shame Stones don't make a kit for theirs!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:29 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

What have you been doing to tweek it? 

No tweeks.. made as instructed to start with. It is not a nice tasting beer so I don't think I will bother again. I will start working back through my ginger beer recipes until I find something similar to the coopers kit. Might try the Stones ginger beer kit too.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ben 10 said:

Wife enjoyed it when I made it.

I mean it is beer so most of it is down to personal taste. Personally I thought it was one of the worst ginger beers I had tasted, even worse than some of my failed recipes.

7 hours ago, Willy-- said:

No tweeks.. made as instructed to start with.

I usually tweet it with some healthy sized knobs of ginger, 4 or 5 cinnamon sticks and the seeds of a couple of chilli and with something like BE3.  Makes it lovely and spicy with a deep flavour profile.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263

Dr Smurto's

Here is my most commonly brewed GB.

20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)
2.5 kg raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves (the spice, not garlic.....)
2 lemons
Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

This results in a very dry GB with an ABV of ~7%. I often ater it down with lemonade for some added sweetness as I can't stand the idea of artificial sweeteners, they taste horrible. Without artificial sweeteners you can't make sweet GB in a bottle and in a keg it will still ferment albeit slowly.

Other options include using honey or steeping some crystal malt and boiling the resulting liquid.

Hope that helps.

I have made this with good results... might actually do it again. 
Today.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...