Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Discontinued

Deeks

I just noticed on the online store that the Coopers Ginger Beer is being discontinued. This is one of my favourite beers and I will be sad to see it go. Any idea why this is being discontinued? Looks like I will need to stock up on as many of these before they are no longer available.

Hi PB2

I will wait patiently for this new GB can. I cracked open a bottle of a GB made from the old (discontinued) can tonight that a fellow brewer donated to me. Loved the ginger flavour, nice head, great colour and aroma... but like others I could not get past the artificial sweetener flavour. It was overpowering and really detracted from an otherwise great brew.

First home brew I have ever tipped and not been able to finish :(

Keen to see what Coopers release next!

I never really noticed the artificial sweetener but then I like drinking Coke Zero so I am probably used to the taste. The ginger beer definitely benefits from a longer time conditioning in the bottle to improve the flavour. I also put a an extra 1kg dextrose in it to give it a bit extra kick. I'll be interested to see what Coopers come up with to replace it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was by far the best ginger beer I have tasted, alcoholic or not. But the artificial sweetener did bother be, so despite the taste I only made it once. It should be easy enough for Coopers to use Stevia instead, and it will solve the problem. But if they are trying to improve the taste further, I will wait.

Why not just ferment a Coopers Mexican Cervesa kit + 500gm raw sugar + 200gm Light crystal (C30L) + 23L water using a low attenuating yeast like the new Danstar London ESB, or Windsor, and add ginger to it? OG 1.033; FG 1.009; ABV 3.4%; IBUs 14.6. If you use more raw sugar for a higher ABV, you will need to add "yeast energizer" (tan powder) at the first sign of fermentation (slight krausen). Adding more sugar will also decrease the FG and sweetness; you can always add a non-fermentable sweetener like Splends or xylitol to taste at bottling time.

Figuring out what kind and how much ginger to use will be the tricky part. For ease of use and consistence dried ginger powder is easiest, but it has the most heat. Suggest making 1L of a sugar and water solution with SG of 1.008, heating it to boiling point, then dosing it with dried ginger powder until the hit your preferred amount of ginger. Allow it to cool and recheck the flavour. Once you have figured out how much to use in 1L scale that amount up to 23L. On brew day, make a tea with the dry ginger powder and let it steep for 10 minutes before adding to the FV. Bear in mind that it is better to under dose than over dose. Candied/crystalized ginger is another option (less hot, sweeter)....The one time I made ginger beer from scratch I used grated fresh ginger, but I would not recommend it. Too many variables and too hard to figure out the dose without a lot of experimentation.

You can add a few drops of lemon or lime juice to your glass if you want more zing.

Cheers,

Christina.

haha...

thats ridiculous' date=' and i was just thinking that you were taking the piss...

take notice that it says that there was 25 sold... and you have to add on the $12.95 for delivery...

[attachimg']442[/attachimg]

I hope Coopers keep the same label on the release of their new revamped ginger beer recipe, then the idiots that have purchased these now defunct kit tins at that ridiculous price will only have something the value of the new kit. lol

People who try to profiteer from situations like this make me sick! sickannoyed

Lusty.

Why not just ferment a Coopers Mexican Cervesa kit + 500gm raw sugar + 200gm Light crystal (C30L) + 23L water using a low attenuating yeast like the new Danstar London ESB' date=' or Windsor, and add ginger to it? OG 1.033; FG 1.009; ABV 3.4%; IBUs 14.6. If you use more raw sugar for a higher ABV, you will need to add "yeast energizer" (tan powder) at the first sign of fermentation (slight krausen). Adding more sugar will also decrease the FG and sweetness; you can always add a non-fermentable sweetener like Splends or xylitol to taste at bottling time.

Figuring out what kind and how much ginger to use will be the tricky part. For ease of use and consistence dried ginger powder is easiest, but it has the most heat. Suggest making 1L of a sugar and water solution with SG of 1.008, heating it to boiling point, then dosing it with dried ginger powder until the hit your preferred amount of ginger. Allow it to cool and recheck the flavour. Once you have figured out how much to use in 1L scale that amount up to 23L. On brew day, make a tea with the dry ginger powder and let it steep for 10 minutes before adding to the FV. Bear in mind that it is better to under dose than over dose. Candied/crystalized ginger is another option (less hot, sweeter)....The one time I made ginger beer from scratch I used grated fresh ginger, but I would not recommend it. Too many variables and too hard to figure out the dose without a lot of experimentation.

You can add a few drops of lemon or lime juice to your glass if you want more zing.

Cheers,

Christina.[/quote']

Ginger beers usually seem to have FGs lower than that, more around 1.000 give or take. Mind you, it'd probably be a pretty nice recipe either way!

• 2 weeks later...
Several reasons why it was discontinued' date=' none of which I'm at liberty to divulge.

The good news - we are working on a replacement Ginger Beer. For retail by when, dunno [img']unsure[/img]

let us know where and when we can get more ginger beer. I use the ginger beer for medical reasons, so i'm very interested when I can re-stock my GB shelves.

A2B

Progress is frustratingly slow. annoyed

The type of packaging is just one of several hurdles...

Rest assured' date=' we will make some noise once the product is due for release [img']smile[/img]

Thanks for the update, can't wait for the new one to get released and to give it a try especially if it's an improvement from the old one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to find a tin/can of the Ginger Beer at a Big W but the Use By date on the bottom is some time this week and I won't get around to brewing it in time....will it just need replacement yeast or is it done for?

I'm a brewing rookie (only done 1 Dark Ale so far) so a lot of this is very new to me.

Maybe you should hang on to it as an investment - could be worth a fortune one day:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coopers-DIY-Home-Brew-Ginger-Beer-Spice-Recipe-Concentrate-980g-20L-Bonus-/181844123697?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275 (the "bonus" mentioned in the title is the yeast!)

Otherwise a new yeast would be advisable.

Malt extract tend to get darker and change flavour as the can ages. Not sure what the GB will do but a few months past the date won't be much problem.

Thanks for the info and advice on the yeast.

I did a bit of a dig and that seller hasn't sold a Coopers ginger beer for 8+ months and they were all for the normal price of $18-20. Shifty bugger, he is.

I'm also guessing, that's why he's supplying new yeast; his stockpile is running out of time too.

More questions though, what sort of yeast would be the best replacement?