Coopers Community

URN/KETTLE/BOILER

talltwits

Hey guys!

Hope you are all well!

So quick question for you all...I'm looking to upgrade to a boiler/urn to make BIAB's. Best way to describe why I'm looking for is something like King Ruddager has and uses in his videos. My hob pot I was using just wasn't working for unforeseen reasons.

I know the majority of you are in Oz, and elsewhere, however can any of you recommend one for a decent price. I seen this http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Stainless-Steel-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler.html and thought it look quite good. But I'm struggling to find other options, I know you guys rave about the Crown Urns, are these simply water boilers or specifically made for home brew.

Hope this wasn't a generic question and you guys know what I mean!

All the best from a sunny Scotland!

Sounds great ta, to be honest I'm struggling to find much else. Crown do the pre assembled one at 40 litres but I can find any suppliers in the U.K. I'll keep hunting. As long as it will boil eventually that'll do the job for me. And as long as it's not rediculously long should be fine!

Cheers

Crown urns are simply hot water urns, mainly used to keep hot water on hand for cups of tea or coffee or whatever at various places like churches, community clubs etc. It just so happens that they're really good for boiling wort as well, hence why they're popular among the BIAB ranks.

These come with a 2400 watt element as well, which does the job well for the size batches that can be brewed in them. Usually you're bringing about 35 litres maximum to the boil, but often less than that. They may struggle if you tried to boil 45-50 litres though.

Cheers Kelsey!

I ended up going for a gas burner. I've already got the gas in the garage and just had to pick up a burner from a LHBS!

It arrives tomorrow along with ingredients for a Sierra Nevada pale ale! So I'll get to put it to the test!

Archived