Coopers Community

Coopers Home Brewing Education, Tips, & Tricks

Beerlust

Hi guys, & more particularly Coopers.

I was just thinking about the last 5 or so years since I got back into home brewing beer & how much of what I have explored in an attempt to learn more about the inner workings of brewing beer. Through my experimentation, some cases have had me come full circle & led me back to techniques & practices outlined in some of the DIY recipes for the best results. It was never a case of doubting what was being outlined in the recipes, it was simply that I didn't know WHY I was doing what I was being asked to do. innocent

I think the DIY recipes that Coopers offer up are terrific, but for someone wanting to understand why they are doing certain things, there is NO accompanying literature in the recipe outlines that explains WHY the brewer should do this or that at that TIME & for that LONG etc. So the brewer really flies BLIND a lot of the time & doesn't really learn much as a consequence. sad

Coopers have always been very open & helpful to the craft brewing community, & through the DIY part of their company, VERY helpful to home brewers.

I was just wondering what others along with Coopers thought about possibly adding in a small educational element to their DIY recipes, that can help brewers understand why they are doing what they are doing in the recipe outlines, & perhaps a few tips & tricks (where applicable) to improve or intensify certain aspects of the DIY recipe.

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts (especially Coopers).

Cheers,

Lusty.

Where's the like button ?

i had already made a few pretty awful brews before i joined here , i was stumbling in the dark and mostly doing what i learned in the 90's .

my then housemate was involved in food science so sanitation was never an issue but understanding WHY some things really mattered eluded me

This forum and a few members in particular taught me plenty in the last year and got me curious to learn more , i did go to the library and they had a few different books on brewing and i'm still learning more ( thanks for the patience and answering stupid questions) .

From memory there is a web address to the coopers site in the cans , sadly many people won't read more than a page of instructions( if that ) in my experience and just want easy , now and cheap

It would probably bolster their product sales considering there is a such a variable process involved in the product. Some youtube clips or something?! It's an unexploited part of their marketing in a way.

I feel I've learned more from this forum site and it's members, and my general brewing websites reading though. Seek and you shall find. I guess if you're approaching brewing from a basic starting point though, all you need is the steering wheel pointed in the right direction for you, and if you want to play around, you'll dig deeper.

As I understand it, we have plans to expand on the groundwork done here:

http://beer101.diybeer.com/

Please have a look through the vids and feel free to put forward suggestions of other topics, you'd like to see covered. I'll pass them on to the Marketing Manager. smile

Please excuse the Dan Murphy's instore demo - it was done "off the cuff" with no script, as it was only meant as an introduction for DM staff. pinchedrolleyes

As I understand it' date=' we have plans to expand on the groundwork done here:

http://beer101.diybeer.com/[/quote']

The groundwork is certainly there. smile Some form of integration with the recipes is probably the next step.

Please have a look through the vids and feel free to put forward suggestions of other topics' date=' you'd like to see covered. I'll pass them on to the Marketing Manager. [img']smile[/img]

I didn't see a "Stubborn Krausen Removal" video in amongst them. If one is ever made with PB2 demonstrating his well known dislodgement technique, please have the cameraman pan around the crowd during the demonstration. loltongue

biggrin

As you were. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

KR, your videos are the perfect balance of information, humour and entertainment. It's rare that I will go through a YT channel and watch all of them - yours and "primitive technologies" are the only two where I have been glued to the screen!

keep it up! look forward to the next one

Jools

Please have a look through the vids and feel free to put forward suggestions of other topics, you'd like to see covered. I'll pass them on to the Marketing Manager. [img']smile[/img]

Please excuse the Dan Murphy's instore demo - it was done "off the cuff" with no script, as it was only meant as an introduction for DM staff. pinchedrolleyes

some more info about each malt extract can and fermentable. like why and where you would use it.

Maybe like a little background video on each ROTM with info like what flavors do the hops/grains/yeast add over just the standard tin. maybe something about the origin of hops/grains/yeast. what inspired the recipe. maybe a tasting review.

Please have a look through the vids and feel free to put forward suggestions of other topics, you'd like to see covered. I'll pass them on to the Marketing Manager. [img']smile[/img]

Thanks PB2, maybe it's my phone the link actually works for other videos instead of just the first vids. . I'm now adding grains and hops to my brews after the success of ESVA ROTM. I've just about covered all of fast home brew beginners.

Appreciate your help guys

Archived