Coopers Community

Golden promise / Cascade SmaSh

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

A little late to this party, but I just bottled a Golden Promise + Citra SMASH on the weekend. I'm super excited about this one. It's the first beer I've had where after taking an SG reading I drank the entire sample from the tube and then went back for seconds - despite it being warm and flat. I gave a taste to SWHMBO and she wanted more too.

As a comparison, I have just brewed the exact same recipe but using Barrett Burston Ale Malt instead. It's sitting in the FV now. It'll be interesting to taste the two side-by-side.

G'day guys ' date=' has anyone used GP on its own?

the tasting notes sound pretty good and thought i'd pair it with cascade but have a few other options in the freezer .

[/quote']

Markoman - I haven't used it 100% in a grain bill but have used it now 6 times at 97% + 3% dark crystal. I don't think the 3% crystal would be having much influence if any on the flavour at 3%. The crystal is being added only to attain the desired colour. I am using it at this rate for my Timothy Taylor's Landlord knock offs. It is a lovely ale and I will be continuing to make it for quite sometime yet. It is a great house beer. The hops I use are: Fuggles, East Kent Goldings and Stryian Goldings.

I also use it as a base malt with American Pale Ales at 80% of grain bill. I have used it 5 times in this style and find it works well. I'm not sure that the base malt is so important in this style due to the over riding influence of the big American hops, but in my English Ale I just think it is superb.

last brew used 51% GP , 25.5 % Rye and Vienna ,aciduated malt and carahell to finish off .

really looking forward to tasting this one , 125g of hops in the boil and likely another 50g dry hop depending how it goes , will be getting close to an IPA hopefully without the puckering .

for some reason my brewhouse efficiency numbers are higher when i use it , tastes great and it even has a great sounding name

last brew used 51% GP ' date=' 25.5 % Rye and Vienna ,aciduated malt and carahell to finish off .

really looking forward to tasting this one , 125g of hops in the boil and likely another 50g dry hop depending how it goes , will be getting close to an IPA hopefully without the puckering .

for some reason my brewhouse efficiency numbers are higher when i use it , tastes great and it even has a great sounding name [/quote']

I doubt that the GP will be all that discernible at that rate mate and also with all those great American hops I presume you are using. Anyways, sounding like a nice ale with those hop numbers.

The SmaSh was a smashing success ' date=' had another just now it it really went down well .

with this brew it won't be the hero as hoping the Rye and cascade /amarillo hops take centre stage [/quote']

Mark - dunno if you like English Ales mate but recommend that you brew one with around 97% GP to try. I'm using Thomas Fawcett floor malted GP and buy it by the 25kg sack.

I sometimes think I can taste barley sugar in my TTLA for want of a better descriptive flavour.

not a big fan of english pale ales ' date=' will do another SmaSh with GP but yet to decide on a hop variety

maybe time to try Nelson Sav? [/quote']

Markoman

I used to think exactly the same as you until I brewed an English Pale. Better than anything I have bought out of a bottle. Yeasts like 1469 will allow a great malt flavour to shine through so you can really appreciate what Golden Promise is all about. Likewise I find the English hops subtle, delicate and gentle.

I think the way English pale ales are served at bars here doesn't do them much justice either. They're usually over carbonated (at least the tap versions are) and way too cold for the style to really shine.

I must admit my kegged ones are too cold and over carbed too - but if I include the warmer foamy shit that first comes out of the tap in the glass rather than discarding it, they actually come out quite nice.

I'm just drinking half a pint I poured from the keg just before, including the 1/3 glass of foam that came with it (now settled). Carb level is quite alright, and while it was a little cold to begin with, now it's warmed a bit and is drinking nicely. I guess sometimes it pays not to throw out the foamy crap that comes out of the tap first lol

I should probably leave my bottle out of the fridge for a while before drinking but the temptation is too great. I always use room temp glasses and notice the ale gets better towards the end.

I'm still using Coopers carb drops and couldn't be bothered changing for the sake of convenience.

That's for sure. Tomorrow night when I pour another pint I might check the temperature of it in the glass. I use room temp glasses too. The kegs sit around 0C, but I suspect once in a room temp glass as well as including the warm beer in the font above the kegerator, and running through a warm tap at first, it would be at least a few degrees warmer than that, especially at this time of year with the warm ambient temp.

Archived