Coopers Community

NSW State Amateur Brewing Competition 2016

headmaster

• 4 weeks later...

G’day Rob44, thanks for the interest,

Results are posted here: http://media.wix.com/ugd/76586e_c676cf5245eb49c1ab58b640d88ed21d.pdf

Interesting to see what the Amateur brewers of Australia are brewing up these days. You can see the popularity of the various categories and styles by looking at the number of entries.

This was my first ever comp entry, after starting down the path of some real brewing back in 2015, and was lucky enough to strike gold in the Strong Ale category for my American Barleywine.

My Belgian witbier scored pretty well as well, in the Farmhouse Ale and Wild Beer category, as did my American pale ale and American Amber ale. Had a shocker with my robust porter, worst in comp score but might have been a mix up though, looking into this as the tasting notes said infected/contaminated and sour, and my porter is not these things, backed up by several tasters, and I submitted two bottles so would be very unusual for these to be the only two contaminated bottles out of 65 in the batch.

Appreciate that Cookie, I only happened upon this over at the AHB forums, where I haven't really been active at all.

All the more reason to get ready for next years comp! Probably in august but this is not set I believe as run by volunteers pretty much.

I'd suggest you could start brewing some beers that do well with age say about now, I just brewed a Russian Imperial Stout for next year's comp, they also suggested I keep some of my barleywine and enter it next year as would be better with another year of age.

Pilsners and other lager styles I reckon should be bottled about 3 months out from comp, and hop forward ones like IPA's and Pale Ales maybe bottle 2 to 6 weeks before the comp.

I am able to enter the nationals now (in Oct I think) that I have got a place in the state comp, but I'm limited to the Strong Ale category.

Good work headmaster! I dropped off my American Amber for the ACT Amateur Brewing Competition yesterday. It's tasting nice, but I think the Motueka / Galaxy hop combo, while being a great one, works a little better in a Pale Ale than an Amber. Oh well, if it gets slammed I'll blame my brother-in-law as assistant brewer, and he'll blame me as head brewer, so we're covered on that front! biggrin

I dropped off my American Amber for the ACT Amateur Brewing Competition yesterday. biggrin

Great stuff pm911, wishing you good fortune with this one.

That combo may on the flipside, make it stand out from the pack of ‘c’ hopped beers, cascade centennial chinook as well as the likely Amarillo/simcoe.

I have used both galaxy and motueka, as single hopped and together, the single hop galaxy I noticed had a harsh bitterness (summer/pac ale) , and when I have used it in other beers, I ‘think’ have noticed a slight harshness if used in everything but flameout or dry hop. But the passionfruit flavours marry very well with motueka tropical/citrus flavours. I reckon the judges with their tired and overwhelmed palates might find it a more refreshing beer in this category, especially if tasting day is a warm one.

Hi mark,

Thanks for the tips. Not sure I am up to entering comps yet for various reasons. But would have liked to visit the show.

However, I, like Red Sox, am interested in your recipes, especially the American Amber and also the Belgian Witbier.

Cheers

Cookie

• 2 weeks later...
I dropped off my American Amber for the ACT Amateur Brewing Competition yesterday. biggrin

Great stuff pm911' date=' wishing you good fortune with this one.

That combo may on the flipside, make it stand out from the pack of ‘c’ hopped beers, cascade centennial chinook as well as the likely Amarillo/simcoe.

I have used both galaxy and motueka, as single hopped and together, the single hop galaxy I noticed had a harsh bitterness (summer/pac ale) , and when I have used it in other beers, I ‘think’ have noticed a slight harshness if used in everything but flameout or dry hop. But the passionfruit flavours marry very well with motueka tropical/citrus flavours. I reckon the judges with their tired and overwhelmed palates might find it a more refreshing beer in this category, especially if tasting day is a warm one.

[/quote']

You were right ... somehow it was awarded a gold medal and took second place in its category. I was just hoping not to get slammed too badly. Oh well, off to Nationals!

Great stuff pm911' date=' wishing you good fortune with this one.

[/quote']

You were right ... somehow it was awarded a gold medal and took second place in its category. I was just hoping not to get slammed too badly. Oh well, off to Nationals!

Champion ! *fist bump *

Turns out a different hop combo may have held you above the CCCCCCCrowd

This is sensational PM911!

Very well executed! Sounds like your interpretation of the style hit the nail.

Not much time to get the beer to the nationals, have to get mine to one of the 'The Brew Shop' LHBS's in Sydney before the end of saturday the 24th, think they have to be in Adelaide by the 30th.

Sorry cookie and red sox, only just saw your requests for recipes, will get these posted shortly, just caught up trying to put kids to bed.

Hi mark' date='

However, I, like Red Sox, am interested in your recipes, especially the American Amber and also the Belgian Witbier.

Cheers

Cookie[/quote']

For the Belgian Witbier, this is similar to a Hoegaarden in style.

Grain Bill:

2.5 kg Belgian Pils malt (German is fine too)

2kg flaked (rolled) wheat (I actually used fine Burghul wheat for this, cheaper and more available than rolled wheat and works very well, you can buy this at continental food places for $3/kg or about $12 for 5kg)

500g rolled oats

150g Munich I

200g Acid malt

200g rice hulls (to prevent stuck mash from wheat)

Hops:

Hallertau Mittelfrueh 3%AA - 50 grams for 60 minutes of boil

Adjuncts, ALL added at last 5 mins of boil:

3 tea bags of pure camomile tea

18g coriander seeds, ground in mortar and pestle

Zest from 2 oranges.

Mash schedule:

Doughed in at 52c for protein rest at 50c for 30 mins

Saccharification rest at 65c for 90 mins

Mashout at 78c 10 mins

I boiled for about 60 mins.

My OG was 1052, 25 litres, mash efficiency about 81%

Pitched 200ml compacted liquid yeast WYEAST 3944 ‘Belgian Witbier’ (harvested from a previous witbier batch)

Wort temp 18.5c for first 24hrs day 1, then ramped to 19c for day 2, another 24hrs later, day 3 ramped to 20c, was 1020 by this stage. You will get quite a bit of H2S smell from this yeast in these early stages but it goes away quickly. Day 5 it was 1011. Day 12 it was 1007. Cold crashed for 24hrs then bottled with 185g sucrose into 23 litres.

Really came on song after about 4 weeks of bottle age.

The American Amber:

Grains:

5.3 kg Maris Otter

450g Caramunich

450g Munich I

220g Victory

220g Special B

110g Pale Chocolate Malt

150g Acid Malt

Mash Schedule

30 min Protein rest at 50c (not really required)

90 min Saccharification rest 68c

Mashout at 78c 10 mins

Hops:

Amarillo 8.5aa - 25g at 20mins

Cascade 9.3aa – 28g at 10mins

Amarillo 8.5aa – 28g at 10mins

Cascade 9.3aa – 28g at flameout

Amarillo 8.5aa – 28g at flameout

Dry Hops:

Amarillo 8.5aa - 25g for 4 days from day 6

Motueka - 25g for 4 days from day 6

Yeast used: Safale US05, fermentation temp 18c.

OG was 1063

FG was 1016

The American Amber:

Grains:

5.3 kg Maris Otter

450g Caramunich

450g Munich I

220g Victory

220g Special B

110g Pale Chocolate Malt

150g Acid Malt

Interesting to see your malt bill' date=' quite complex and a slightly different approach to mine. Mine was:

1000g (39.9%) Voyager Pale Malt (5.0 EBC)

750g (29.9%) Gladfield Pilsner Malt (3.8 EBC)

400g (16%) Munich (BestMälz) (15.0 EBC)

125g (5%) Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC)

125g (5%) Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (150.0 EBC)

75g (3%) Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)

30g (1.2%) Chocolate Malt (Bairds) (985.0 EBC)

The base malt mix of pale / pilsner malt and the addition of Carahell was inspired by an all-grain version of Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale I brewed a while ago now. The combination of medium and dark crystal malts was inspired by Jamil's advice about increasing the complexity of caramel flavours and I just like British chocolate malt [img']happy[/img]

Cheers,

John

Thanks for posting, the malt bill looks tasty, just looking at it :-)

BTW the American Amber that I have posted here was not my prizewinner, it did score pretty well though with a 71.

BJCP judge comments about aroma: 'Rich malt, caramel, toffee, low citrus/melon hops - too subdued 7/12'

I suspect it would have gone better here if it were fresher, as it was a good three months old when I entered it.

For flavour he said: 'caramel, toffee, hint of bread, some hop bitterness in the mid palate, needs to be higher to balance rich caramel, finishes a bit sweet, could have more hop flavour.13.5/20'

Appearance he said 'dark amber, clear, good head 3/3'

Mouthfeel "moderate carbonation, meduim body, smooth 4.5/5"

Overall impression "a good attempt, increase hop character to balance the farirly rich malt 7/10'

The other judge wrote similar things. I knew some of this about this beer, I knew it would be quite sweet with that high mash temp of 68c

Interestingly, my prizewinning American Barleywne, was an almost identical malt bill, (used even more malt to result in a 9.3%ABV) mashed at an even higher 69, and used an absolute truckload of Simcoe Amarillo and Centennial, over 300g in total from memory incl dry.

• 4 weeks later...

No luck for me either, so will have to do better next year :-)

I have quite a few left of my barleywine, as they are supposed to age well, may enter it again next year, but will probably make a new, bigger better one..

I'm planning to brew something along the lines of your one shortly, a cascade/galaxy, based on the deschutes mirror pond but using late galaxy.

Got the brewery going full steam at the moment, have just finished two pales, a chinook/simcoe, and a centennial galaxy. have a pilsner lagering in one brew fridge and my first kolsch fermenting away in the other. Bring on the summer!

Congrats guys, great results. It is hard to brew to style sometimes.

I have decided to create my own style guidelines; HBSG (Hairy's Beer Style Guidelines). I have built in several flaws into each category to help me brew to style wink

Archived