Coopers Community

Homebrew - headaches and gastro-intestinal disturbances

BlackSands

I've noticed a much higher rate of headaches and unsettled stomach after drinking my brews. There seems to a certain consumption threshold though... i.e one or two glasses certainly isn't a problem but if I have a bit of a 'session' then I can pretty much always expect a headache and extra time-out in the little room sick.

Drink enough commercial beer and of course a hangover is likely but I don't recall commercial beers causing my guts to do somersaults like homebrew does! Is the perhaps to do with the level of live yeast? And the headaches' date=' is it because there's possibility higher levels of fusels etc in the beer?

I wonder if the fauna in flora in my internal plumbing will eventually adapt? [img']unsure[/img]

G'day BlackSands, do your self a favour and visit your GP and get checked out, it may not be the beer? unsure

Cheers.

G'day BlackSands' date=' do your self a favour and visit your GP and get checked out, it may not be the beer? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers.

It's a non-issue though when I don't drink my beer which strongly suggests it's the beer that's causing the gastro upset.

Tested the theory again last night - experienced significant 'liquefaction' in the early hours as a result! sick Mind you... I am taking a dose of antibiotics at the moment too, so... innocent

But, on a positive note, no headache this morning! I drank a large glass of water in between several ales which may of helped.

I suggest not drinking while on antibiotics as it does make you feel sixker and reduces the effectiveness of them.

I too find that dehydration is a problem when drinking beer so i do tend to have some water every now and then plus i like to drink 1L of water before bed (if i dont suffer a case of sudden unconscious) in the morning i have a can of monster/mother/redbull, something to eat and 2 bottles of poweraide. After that im ready for the next session.

Also i find that super dry (also known in our house as super gay) gives me a headche after 3 stubbies but im fine after 12 coopers sparkling ales.

Some antibiotics aren't affected by alcohol; best to check individually methinks.

Anyway, I went out the weekend before last and got on the beers and JD and whatever, woke up with a shit of a headache and felt like rubbish until I ate something. I also forgot my usual stick my head under the tap and drink water until I can't fit any more in before I sleep procedure which didn't help. If I do that I usually wake up fine regardless of what I drank the night before.

My hangovers are pretty much non existent with my homebrew.

If I drink a beer that's still a bit young I will definitely have issues with gas, and heartburn.

Even well conditioned homebrew can give me the farts.

But I have started to drink black tea with half a teaspoon of powdered ginger several times a day.

This really seems to have settled the old guts down and the missus doesn't complain about the ale bombs any more..

I'm starting to think now that this is actually 'brew dependent' - i.e some are worse than others at invoking 'side-effects'. A porter I'm currently drinking seems relatively OK... woke up today feeling generally OK, no headache just a little of the gastro-related after effects were apparent. I suspect an APA that I'm also drinking at the moment is causing more severe responses however, which is a shame if it is, because it's actually quite a pleasant beer!

Definitely brew related i think

During the coldest months i drink Coopers Stout or Guinness (widget cans) if im out and about and without getting too graphic i know i was drinking stout the next morning ....only thing worse is a big night on the Bundy rum sick

My home brewed stout and even the Cascarillo amber to a lesser extent gave me similar effects if i over indulged ( hard not to , both delicious )

APAs don't seem to have this effect , hope the Rye baby Golden XPA in FV sits well for me since so far it tastes fantastic

With the advent of Super/Extra Dry tasteless beers has come a real "weiner" attitude on some levels with the repercussions of drinking beer to extended levels.

Toughen up princesses!

'Hair of the Dog'! wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

on a serious note , lots of people experience a crook guts from heavier beers or simply from a decent amount to drink, i know people that drink nearly everyday and switched from pale ale to clear/low carb cos they just felt better {i'd rather not drink}. I find things that are over carbed can give headaches and recently ive had to trim back my port consumption due to bad recovery's.

could also be a whole range of things ie eye test, stress related etc.

all the best, cheers

• 3 years later...

Holy necro thread Batman!

I thought this thread was worth reviving as it looks like it’s right up my alley unfortunately.

I tried my very first brew, a pacific ale, bottle conditioned on Sunday (maybe Monday, can’t remember). I got a little bit impatient, it had only been in the bottle for about 9 days after 7 in the FV. 

I only had one, as I was not expecting wonders, I just wanted to get an idea of how it was going.

Here we are on Wednesday, and my guts are only just coming good. The green apple splatters a couple of times and some gnarly farts. The beer wasn’t infected, just still too young, and I think I probably drank a bit of the crap at the bottom of the bottle too, as I despise people that leave an inch at the bottom of a bottle of beer..... They might have a point 😂

To summarise, don’t get too carried away trying to drink your beer when it ain’t ready, just be patient.

Take a positive out of it though, the beer tasted quite reasonable lol.

• Haha 1

I've become accustomed to waking up feeling crap but I figure that's because I know I have to drive public transport every day. 😄
Since becoming a HB drinker, hangovers are a thing of the past....especially the headache symptoms I often got from some commercial beers. Crown Lager in particular used to get me.
I haven't suffered upset stomach but gas has been an issue. Pouring my bottles in one pour, as opposed to pouring two glasses from one bottle, has reduced the backwash effect and the amount of sediment being consumed and with it the gas expelled has been reduced. I wouldn't mind betting that HB keggers have less flatulence than bottlers. My theory is the sediment contains inactive yeast which reactivates in the warm, dark conditions of the stomach and BOOM!

• Haha 1

Health related info; We all have candida in our bodies and candida loves carbs, mushrooms, yeast, milk. Candida is a fungus that can become too strong in our intestines and create problems, like intestinal inflammation, making stuff get through that shouldn't, which can cause allergic reactions among other things. Beer is something that candida really loves. 

I went out to the pub and then a mates house and had a few commercial beers a couple of weeks ago. I woke up extremely hungover and don’t remember getting home and missing the toilet and throwing up all over the wall. When I woke I thought I was dying. 
I can drink home brew all night and the next day feel slightly dodgy but some outside air usually makes me feel back to normal in an hour or two. 

EVERYTHING makes me fart💨 and the only gastro type issue that I have is usually from a rich lamb or beef meal slow cooked with the beers ha ha ha

• Haha 2

When drinking bottled homebrew I pour 2 glasses from the one 740ml PET and stop pouring when I see the sediment getting near the edge.

This technique along with fining with gelatine and cold crashing reduces the yeast/ sediment.

Leaving the bottles for longer in the fridge helps as well 

Kegged homebrew produces a lot less post consumption flatulence in my experience though.

Less yeast due to no 2nd ferment probably ..

No more clearing the theatre  the next morning!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Naturally brewed & conditioned beer without artificial interference won't be the cause of many problems in most cases.

I switched to drinking Coopers commercial beers some 20+ years ago & I've hardly ever had a hangover since. When you really have a massive session the dehydration factors that are often associated with hangovers will come into play sometimes, but extremely rarely for me in the last 20 odd years. The same goes for my home brewed beer.

The commercial crap I was drinking before this period almost always guaranteed a hangover the next morning after a lengthy session. I don't miss those days one bit.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2016 at 3:58 AM, BlackSands said:

I'm starting to think now that this is actually 'brew dependent' - i.e some are worse than others at invoking 'side-effects'. A porter I'm currently drinking seems relatively OK... woke up today feeling generally OK, no headache just a little of the gastro-related after effects were apparent. I suspect an APA that I'm also drinking at the moment is causing more severe responses however, which is a shame if it is, because it's actually quite a pleasant beer!

Try "Clariferm", from White Labs, in a batch. It is meant to clarify the beer and to allow celiacs to drink beer safely.

My view though, is that the more crap you drop out of your beer by cold crash, clarifyers etc, the less  you fart and the less your stomach etc is upset.  

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

Probiotics are good for re-balancing bacteria levels etc. in the gut, & maybe worth a try. I have tried them for lengthy periods on & off in the past & found I generally felt better as a whole while taking them. That reminds me I must go & get some more.

Just a thought.

Lusty.

• Like 1

I have been making my own probiotic, called kefir.

I make it from a  powder -  kind of like a packet of dry yeast put into a litre of milk, let it sit at room temp for a day or 2 till it thickens then stick it in the fridge.

A bit like  Greek yoghurt, I drink it with honey and it’s bloody good!

Have not had heartburn since.

Cheers

James

4 hours ago, Worthog said:

Try "Clariferm", from White Labs, in a batch. It is meant to clarify the beer and to allow celiacs to drink beer safely.

My view though, is that the more crap you drop out of your beer by cold crash, clarifyers etc, the less  you fart and the less your stomach etc is upset.  

Cheers

Crikey... this is an old thread! 😮

CC'ing my beer made no difference to my 'gastronomical' experiences.   Clarityferm is pretty expensive and mostly targets the gluten-intolerant.  I'm not gluten intolerant. 

For now I've been blaming it on live yeast.  One thing I have intended to try was actually pastuerising the beer once conditioned.  I have a brew in 500ml glass flip-tops at the moment which I could dunk in 90ºC water for 5 or 10 mins.  Not sure it's the best thing to do to a beer, but for the purposes of determining if live yeast is the issue it's probably worth a shot. 

👨‍🔬

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, James Lao said:

I have been making my own probiotic, called kefir.

I make it from a  powder -  kind of like a packet of dry yeast put into a litre of milk, let it sit at room temp for a day or 2 till it thickens then stick it in the fridge.

A bit like  Greek yoghurt, I drink it with honey and it’s bloody good!

Have not had heartburn since.

Cheers

James

What’s this powder ? I have been using kefir grains but had some issues with them