Sign in to follow this  
BeachBanjo

So, I have a Brewart...

Yep, looked at the vids. First thought was "terminal". One for the manufacturer to investigate...

The rebooting cycle makes it terminal. Can't even push any buttons to try and resolve the problem.

Also makes me think it's a circuit board problem.

Hi all,I'm another lucky Aussie, whose wife brought him the brewart kit for Xmas.I have never done home brew before,but I'm a long time still man for spirits.funny thing,wife brought it for Xmas, and only got the notification to pick it up tomorrow Friday.In the mean time i have ordered a few accessories and brew kits, and all ready have them. Come on Friday.

I've been doing a bit of research trying to figure out what each of the hop packs are.

This is what I have come up with:

H1 - Amarillo

H2 - Centennial

H3 - Hallertau

H4 - Saaz

H5 - Hersbrucker

H6 - Galaxy

H7 - Challenger

H8 - Bitter Orange Peel and Coriander Seed

H9 - Cascade

Not sure if this is 100% correct so feel free to discuss and let me know what you think they are.

My research involved looking at the hop flavor description and also the BrewPrints they are used in and then comparing this with different types of hops.

The only one I couldn't find was H8 but this isn't currently used in any BrewPrint and it is not in stock on the Brewart site but I think it will be used for a witbier that is similar to Hoegaarden which I hope they bring out soon as this is one beer I really want to try. Looking at the description of it, I think it will be a flavor extract rather than hop extract.

This list will come in handy if you decide to use real hops for dry hopping brews instead of using the hop packets which may give a better result.

really excited as my first brew has been put into the brewflo, but when I pour I just get air and a little froth, all connections are good, what can be wrong?

So disappointed have been waiting over three weeks to try!

Pete

Just swapped kegs and this one is pouring correctly, I noticed the first keg had been over filled with some beer between the bladder and the keg, will this be the problem? If so what do I do with it?

Pete

This is usually not caused by overfilling. Rather, the beer has leaked once pressure has built up through secondary fermentation, due to one or more of the connections not being tightened correctly or the o-ring not seated properly.

Give BrewArt customer service a yell to talk through the issue.

I finally Received some supplies from my local HN store to put on my first brew and it is the obligatory American Pale Ale.

This is just the standard brew art box which is convenient and simple to use , however fairly expensive.

The app and the soft ware work seamlessly together on the Wi-Fi so that in itself is pretty cool. All in all a good customer experience at this early stage.

How was everyone else's first brew, compared to brewing out of the old FV and bottling?

This is usually not caused by overfilling. Rather' date=' the beer has leaked once pressure has built up through secondary fermentation, due to one or more of the connections not being tightened correctly or the o-ring not seated properly.

Give BrewArt customer service a yell to talk through the issue.[/quote']

Thanks I will give them a call (the other keg tasted out of this world)

I've been doing a bit of research trying to figure out what each of the hop packs are.

This is what I have come up with:

H1 - Amarillo

H2 - Centennial

H3 - Hallertau

H4 - Saaz

H5 - Hersbrucker

H6 - Galaxy

H7 - Challenger

H8 - Bitter Orange Peel and Coriander Seed

H9 - Cascade

Not sure if this is 100% correct so feel free to discuss and let me know what you think they are.

My research involved looking at the hop flavor description and also the BrewPrints they are used in and then comparing this with different types of hops.

The only one I couldn't find was H8 but this isn't currently used in any BrewPrint and it is not in stock on the Brewart site but I think it will be used for a witbier that is similar to Hoegaarden which I hope they bring out soon as this is one beer I really want to try. Looking at the description of it' date=' I think it will be a flavor extract rather than hop extract.

This list will come in handy if you decide to use real hops for dry hopping brews instead of using the hop packets which may give a better result.[/quote']

Nice work Deeks. I haven't really bothered to look into it too much but it is definitely helpful knowing what they are likely to be, especially if people start to create their own recipes from ingredient packs instead of Brewprints.

How was everyone else's first brew' date=' compared to brewing out of the old FV and bottling? [/quote']

The APA was very nice, I still have a keg left and will likely put that in over the next few days. I am also kegging the Lighthouse Pacific Pale today which I dry hopped with 15g Galaxy before dropping to 3 degrees for a week. It smells very fruity, hopefully I haven't overdone it with my addition.

Outside of those 2 I have been doing 2 extract brews to every Brewprint, just splitting cans for 10-11L brews and storing the left over can for the next batch. Much more cost effective then using the Brewprints at upwards of 40 bucks a go.

I still have 4 Brewprints left which should last me a few months if I continue to split between extract tins. I do want to try the new Birra Brewprint they released as I really enjoy the commercial version.

Nice work Deeks. I haven't really bothered to look into it too much but it is definitely helpful knowing what they are likely to be' date=' especially if people start to create their own recipes from ingredient packs instead of Brewprints.[/quote']

Cheers Jaydub, I am gonna try using some real hops instead in one of my next brews.

I 'm thinking I'll make a hop tea and then add this to the keg when I fill it.

Not sure how much hops to use tho.

Anyone have any idea how much hops to use with 5L?

I will also add the dextrose to the hop tea which will prime the keg as well so this should save a bit on the cost of the priming liquid and liquid hops from Brewart.

I would go with about 10gm for the 2 kegs. So hop tea into about 200ml and split that across the 2 kegs. I find 6g per/L of dextrose for most ales is enough priming to get carbonation levels where I like them. The few Brewprints I've done seem to be low in carbonation so I'll start doing it myself as well.

Cool thanks I will try 10g per 10L. I think I can get 100g of hops for $12 so will work out to be $1.20 per brew which is a lot cheaper than paying $7 for the liquid hops per brew.

can someone tell me how to put my droid into storage mode, the documents say you can do it via the app but the android version doesn't allow. I have a brew which has completed the fermentation but I can't keg immediately there doesn't seem to be a menu setting on the droid to allow storage. I have put it back into fermentation with the settings as low as possible to 4C.

Pete

Not sure if you can do it at fermentation stage but you can just select move to storage once in keg mode. In any case, you have done what I would do by just starting a custom brew with the lowest possible fermentation temp option, although not sure what the Gravity tests will do being it has already finished and its around 4 degrees, just ignore it in any case.

Not sure if you can do it at fermentation stage but you can just select move to storage once in keg mode. In any case' date=' you have done what I would do by just starting a custom brew with the lowest possible fermentation temp option, although not sure what the Gravity tests will do being it has already finished and its around 4 degrees, just ignore it in any case.[/quote']

Thanks Jay, I'll give support a call this morning.

Should I put the yeast in the fridge?

And if so, only the yeast? Any other ingredients need cooling?

It's been 30-40 degrees over the last week here.

Yep, yeast and hops. Oddly, only the hops has it printed on the pack, but a Coopers rep confirmed both should go in.

On a side topic, has anyone tried using gelatin with the Brewart yet? I am less concerned with clarity with the ales, but am tempted to try and clear up a lager. I bottle, so my plan is to add the hops, wait 24 hours and chill to storage temp, add the disolved gelatin, leave it for 48 hours or so, then bottle.

Thoughts?

I was also lucky enough to get one of these for Christmas. Im a long time drinker, first time brewer, so sorry for the newbie questions.

I have to say the hardest part is waiting for the 2nd stage fermentation. 6 days to go on my first brew (APA). Can I put it in the fridge a day before its ready so its cold when its ready to go?

On that has anyone considered using this in combination with the ikegger kegs? They allow you to force carbonate the beer and drink it in 24 hours. Would this affect the clarity and taste though?

I am thinking of the 4l +2l combo so I have a couple of kegs spare to take to a party or picnic.

I noticed if I put the beerdroid on storage mode it will bring it down to 4C, would doing this for a week be similar to cold crashing and help with the clarity when doing a lager?

Thanks Deeks for reverse engineering the hops list, I was working on something similar. As the brew print are "based on the worlds best beers" I have been comparing flavour profiles of popular beers to the brew pints and plan to test them side by side.

Im sure they are not exact, but think of this more of a "if you like this commercial beer, you will like this brew print".

Here is what I have so far:

American Pale Ale

Darker Red colour, Pine and Passionfruit, with a bitter finish sounds very similar to 4Pines Pale Ale

Lighthouse Pacific Pale

Light colour and fruity aroma precede a mid-bitterness, hints of passionfruit character and a refreshing finish. sounds very similar to Stone and wood pacific ale

Also matches the hop break down, double galaxy hops which Stone and Wood Pacific Ale is famous for.

West Coast Pale Ale

Lighter ale with citrus, pine and grapefruit. Malty with marmalade and sweet flavours then firm bitterness.

This sounds more like an Australian Pale Ale, then the double IPA the west coast of the US are famous for. Im guessing this is like Little Creatures Pale Ale (from WA), but the hops don't match the description Deeks has; double H1 (Amarillo) and not Cascade & Chinook

Mountain Range IPA

Pine and tropical fruit characters.Malt and citrus with a very firm bitter finish

Sounds more like an American Style double IPA, Ill compare this to a Feral Hop Hog, or if I can get my hands on a few west coast double IPAs before its ready.

Ive got the APA and West Coast Pale Ale almost ready so Ill update once I compare them.

Welcome mate..

Can I put it in the fridge a day before its ready so its cold when its ready to go?

If you are referring to the keg then I would suggest leaving it out' date=' longer than the suggested 2 weeks. For me, the APA was a little lacking,especially in carbonation, after the 2 weeks. If you bottled them, by all means, sacrifice 1 bottle for a taste test.

On that has anyone considered using this in combination with the ikegger kegs? They allow you to force carbonate the beer and drink it in 24 hours. Would this affect the clarity and taste though?

I am thinking of the 4l +2l combo so I have a couple of kegs spare to take to a party or picnic.

It shouldn't impact the taste however if you force carbonate you will not hit the advised ABV listed on the Brewprint. You could always use the ikegger and naturally carbonate but you will still need to wait the 2 weeks.

I noticed if I put the beerdroid on storage mode it will bring it down to 4C' date=' would doing this for a week be similar to cold crashing and help with the clarity when doing a lager?[/quote']

I do this for between 5-7 days,. Whether it helps or not I can't say as I have done this since getting my Droid.

Ok, picked up the new droid today.

Unfortunately my app is showing that it is still brewing!

Help!

Ok' date=' picked up the new droid today.

Unfortunately my app is showing that it is still brewing!

Help![/quote']

You can remove the BeerDroid and unlink it from your BrewArt account.

You can also contact BrewArt and they might be able to do something to help.

Unfortunately it will still be in your Brew Journal as there is no way to remove it yet. I have had this happen to me before and asked BrewArt about it and they say they may enable this to be done in a updated version of the app.

I'm onto my third BeerDroid now which has just started leaking after finishing my last brew while waiting to be kegged. I have already contacted BrewArt so I'm hoping that they can sort it out for me. It's a bit frustrating but there is not much I can do if the hardware fails.