Coopers Community

So, I have a Brewart...

BeachBanjo

Update

Just tried the 1st American Pale Ale bottle that was chilled in the fridge and turned out pretty good, the liquid hop stuff.....not sure i'll use that again as the hop aroma in the bottle was pretty weak unsure

The Morgans golden saaz pilsner was kegged yesterday so gotta wait for at least 2-3 weeks. Be interesting to see how that will turn out.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after sitting on the fence for faaar to long i pulled the trigger on my brewart kit tonight.. Droid, BrewFlo, kegging kit, caddy, and a couple of brews to kick things off. If your going to do it, do it right eh?. Its my birthday in 2 weeks so that's my excuse, a shame i didnt do this a week earlier or i could have been cracking one on the day.

A question for people in the know. Im a massive hop head, love me some double IPA's; the bitterness the hops, whats not to love. When i was first started investigating the brewprints i was little dismayed there wasn't a IIPA, so i fired off an email to the support team who got back to me with a solution. Buy Mountain range, add an extra element and extra hop pack and you will be close to a IIPA

So thats what ive done, Mountain Range, another element 5 and a hops 2. However not being one to leave things to chance im thinking of getting some Citra or Simcoe pellets to add the mix. Ive watched the finely produced youtube videos and see when you add the liquid hops, if one wanted to add some pellet hops to the mix when should he do it (and im assuming its not going to cause issues?). From some googling 2-3 days into fermentation will do the trick? Or should one steep the hops but when should i add that? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to get my hands on it all :D

So after sitting on the fence for faaar to long i pulled the trigger on my brewart kit tonight.. Droid' date=' BrewFlo, kegging kit, caddy, and a couple of brews to kick things off. If your going to do it, do it right eh?. Its my birthday in 2 weeks so that's my excuse, a shame i didnt do this a week earlier or i could have been cracking one on the day.

A question for people in the know. Im a massive hop head, love me some double IPA's; the bitterness the hops, whats not to love. When i was first started investigating the brewprints i was little dismayed there wasn't a IIPA, so i fired off an email to the support team who got back to me with a solution. Buy Mountain range, add an extra element and extra hop pack and you will be close to a IIPA

So thats what ive done, Mountain Range, another element 5 and a hops 2. However not being one to leave things to chance im thinking of getting some Citra or Simcoe pellets to add the mix. Ive watched the finely produced youtube videos and see when you add the liquid hops, if one wanted to add some pellet hops to the mix when should he do it (and im assuming its not going to cause issues?). From some googling 2-3 days into fermentation will do the trick? Or should one steep the hops but when should i add that? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait to get my hands on it all :D[/quote']

I have added extra hops to three brews in the Beerdroid so far with great results. Each time I have steeped the hops and added the strained liquid. I also made one brew where I boiled the hops (for extra bitterness) for 30 minutes in a LME and then strained and added to brew. Also if you adding extra element packs I think you could also increase the brew size from 10 to 12 litres.

Good Luck and enjoy

I have added extra hops to three brews in the Beerdroid so far with great results. Each time I have steeped the hops and added the strained liquid. I also made one brew where I boiled the hops (for extra bitterness) for 30 minutes in a LME and then strained and added to brew. Also if you adding extra element packs I think you could also increase the brew size from 10 to 12 litres.

Good Luck and enjoy

Hi thanks for the reply! This sounds very promising' date=' when did you add the steeped hops? And to what base brewkit? How was the finished product? I am new to the whole process hence the purchase of this product. I understand that adding hops at the start of the brew adds bitterness and "dry hopping" is more for aroma and flavour.

Has anyone tried the mountain range ipa, Frank advised me its a clone of Sierra Nevada Torpedo which isnt a bad drop.

Btw ive just created a Brewart owners group on fb if anyone is keen to join and discuss anything related to the products/brews

WiFi makes everything better!!

But this system actually got me back into brewing. I saw it in a catalogue and dropped hints for my birthday, but the hints weren't heeded.... So I got all set to just buy it myself and told SWMBO and got the reply "Where are you going to put it?" I said "In the laundry. I'll build that bench and cupboards you want and I'll put it on there." Her reply was along the lines of "It's not going in my laundry!!!" After a mild argument and some sulking, I decided to just use the spare fridge in the shed and do it old school.

I'm glad I did now. I remember brewing years ago and like the time out brewing gives me and I get to be all anal and pedantic which helps the OCD monster inside me! Saying that, I'm sure I'd still love this system if I got it, but it would leave me wanting I think. I also tossed up the idea of getting the droid and using 9.5L kegs. I could fit several in the fridge and have a number of brews on tap at once.

Hi Garvani,

I always added my hop liquid at the start of the brew.

I'm no expert but I understand that if you steep the hops (make a hop tea and add highly strained liquid) it adds flavour and aroma. But to add bitterness you boil the hops in some liquid malt extract and depending on how long they are boiled and or simmers changes the degree of bitterness.

But if your new to all of this then I would get a Brewprint and make a brew exactly as recommended. I recently made a Munich Lager Brewprint stock standard and it was absolutely fantastic, a full bodied German style clean lager that is crystal clear, lovely colour, perfect carbonation. It also had none of that slight odour or flavor that you get with some home brews. In the past about 30% of my home brews had a subtle smell or flavor (actually hard to tell which one) but I think flavor as it seems to linger. This flavor is hard to describe and it's only just there, but you know that it shouldn't be there at all. Maybe a slight metallic flavor?? Anyway, I haven't had any such smells /flavours with any of my Brewart brews.

Hi all,

I recently purchased a beer droid and last night bottled my first brew.

I am having problems getting the white bottle adapter off the tap for cleaning. Is there a trick to get it off?Also, does the tap itself separate? ie the red piece come apart? The videos online are not very clear.

cheers.

Hi Garvani' date='

I'm no expert but I understand that if you steep the hops (make a hop tea and add highly strained liquid) it adds flavour and aroma. But to add bitterness you boil the hops in some liquid malt extract and depending on how long they are boiled and or simmers changes the degree of bitterness.

[/quote']

Ahh ok. I am just going to dry hop this batch, it has been brewing for 36 hours now so will add 25g of pellets in a couple of days and then another 25grams 2 days after that.

Ill have to look into the hop tea for my next IPA as i do love a bitter brew!

I am new to brewart but have a few (failed) homebrews under my belt, they all ended up with some infection and had different levels of that terrible homebrew taste that you mention. So its good to hear you havn't had that issue with yours!

Hi all' date='

I recently purchased a beer droid and last night bottled my first brew.

I am having problems getting the white bottle adapter off the tap for cleaning. Is there a trick to get it off?Also, does the tap itself separate? ie the red piece come apart? The videos online are not very clear.

cheers.[/quote']

Yes I also had a struggle getting the adaptor off the tap after my first bottling, but no drama thereafter. Just make sure you are compressing the top down a mm or two and then push the whole thing down. A bit of olive oil seems to be their recommendation for most tight parts.

The tap itself breaks down into just two parts for cleaning. The red rubber remains in place but make sure you give it a good wash each time with brewery detergent and then sanitize and re-insert.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Garvani' date='

[/quote']

Ahh ok. I am just going to dry hop this batch, it has been brewing for 36 hours now so will add 25g of pellets in a couple of days and then another 25grams 2 days after that.

Ill have to look into the hop tea for my next IPA as i do love a bitter brew!

I am new to brewart but have a few (failed) homebrews under my belt, they all ended up with some infection and had different levels of that terrible homebrew taste that you mention. So its good to hear you havn't had that issue with yours!

Just make sure you are quick with the lid on and off to add the hops. Although it should have a good layer of protection on top of the brew oxygen is your enemy and so when you add your hop bag, get in and out fast.

Cheers,

phil

I may have mentioned this before?? unsure

If you look like leaving the Droid to sit for a day or more before the next brew, it is best to leave all bits in a disassembled state to keep things fresh smelling and prevent any residual water from becoming stagnant - lid sitting askew or off completely, tap in two pieces and drain plug removed. wink

Hi everyone. A couple of newbie questions. How long does a the American Pale Ale kit take to be ready for bottling? I found the droid I was looking for on the weekend but will be away after next weekend for a few days. How long can a brew sit in the unit awaiting bottling?

• 2 weeks later...

One for PB,

I have been adding all my ingredients at the start of the brewing process, but I noted that on one recent Brewart videos about adding the ingredients it suggested everything in reverse, such as yeast first and then the elements and then the thing that really threw me was to add the liquid hops extract upon completion of the fermentation process.

I slowly add the DME and the dry enhancers whilst filling with water then the hop liquid (plus usually some of my own hop tea, then the yeast on top or stirred in always last though and then bung the lid on and set the beer style and let the beer droid do its thing.

Is there anything detrimental doing in my order, its just how I've always done it but the video suggests the reverse.

Thanks....

Confused.

Yes, as

shows, the idea is to add the water then yeast. The yeast will rehydrate and then find the fermentable sugar as it gradually dissolves into the brew. Sort of a gentle wake up from suspended animation. tongue

But if you're happy with the final beer then what you are currently doing is probably okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I invested in a Brewart as I have a soft spot for new gadgets and beer so it seemed the perfect fit. I watched the videos which are very good and got up and running pretty easily. I brewed an American Pale Ale and have now successfully kegged it. Now just need to wait to see what it tastes like.

I have some observations which may help others:

1.Whilst I personally felt it would look perfect beside the coffee machine it is still in the laundry!

2. The guy in the video is exceptionally strong and makes everything appear effortless.

3. Make sure you put olive oil on the tap washer. I didn 't and when I pulled it out it had scrunched up.

4. When they say it may be difficult to open the Droid. They mean it. Good news is that it only needs to turn a couple of cm to unlock. When locking make sure you align the lug in the lid with the short groove on the droid.

5. Every 24 hours it does testing. I didn't realise this as it looked like a fault code on the Droid (FE). Takes a while and then goes back to brewing.

6. When fitting the keg liners to the lid ignore the cross thread reference. It cross threads no matter what but if you keep turning it will right itself. That guy in the video is really very good.

7. When attaching the tube to the elbows and the elbows to the tap and the lid of the keg. Press really firmly. I didn't and had a leak.

Other than the above which are really just minor issues I love it. The temperature control is fantastic as is the ferment start and end detection. The kegging works well and whilst I bought bottles as well I'm not sure I could go back to it. The app is also really good and the ordering through the app is nicely done. There appears to be a good selection of beers.

Now I jus got to hope it actually tastes good.

Cheers Chris

Another highly successful result with the Beerdroid.

This time I used the Munich Lager recipe and added some Nelson Sauvin hops. I added about 1 litre of this hop tee.

The beer is possibly my best yet. Perfectly clear, perfect head and just a great flavour. Nice medium hop flavours, nothing overpowering but really evident they are there and its a beer you can really quench a thirst with. The first one didn't touch the sides as they say. Possibly a good full flavoured summer days session beer. Yipee!

Does it matter that I accidentally fermented the American Pale Ale at a 17 degree target? Not sure how I managed it but it's been going for 9 days and still slightly bubbling. I assume it just means it might take longer than normal to finish fermenting?? Being 9 days in I won't bother changing the temp now.

Scrap that, finished fermenting over night at the 9 days 2 hour mark. Now ready to keg.

I've just got a BeerDroid.

Was on the fence until I stumbled across this post.

I've done a few brews the old fashioned way before and have a bottling tube and my own bottles, but wasn't interested in the bottle kit that BrewArt offer.

One thing I have noticed though is that their kit comes with an adaptor. I seems the tap and a normal bottling tube are about the same width.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these adaptor doohickeys without buying that whole kit?

I've just got a BeerDroid.

Was on the fence until I stumbled across this post.

I've done a few brews the old fashioned way before and have a bottling tube and my own bottles' date=' but wasn't interested in the bottle kit that BrewArt offer.

One thing I have noticed though is that their kit comes with an adaptor. I seems the tap and a normal bottling tube are about the same width.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these adaptor doohickeys without buying that whole kit?[/quote']

I have just bought the Brewart myself and was looking at the FAQs on the Brewart 101 website which has the following:

2. Can I bottle without the bottling valve?

Yes. With the tap nozzle inserted into the bottle at a gentle angle, fill the bottles slowly, using the tap to control the flow.

Sampled my first brew last night with some trepidation. Was extremely satisfied with the result. Used the American Pale Ale kit bottled into three empty Tap King bottles. Decanted one chilled bottle into my uKeg pressurised growler last night and I was good to go. Very drinkable pale ale, slightly sweet which I guess means that secondary fermentation wasn't quite finished but very nice nonetheless. Not as cloudy as I was expecting after seeing what was left in the beerdroid but since I was filling 3x3.2 litre bottles from 10 litres most of the sludge was left behind.

Will buy a few more kits in the near future to try them. HN seems to only stock American Pale Ale so I'll get one of those on the weekend for another brew and order some different ones from the web.

http://www.growlerwerks.com/?products/ukeg-128-pressurized-growler

HN only sell the American Pale Ale. You could always use the coopers tins and scale them down to 10L. Will work out cheaper than the Brewprints online.

Although i do want to see if the Lighthouse Pacific Ale is anything like the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale. And they suggest the Mountain Range IPA when searching for Sierra Nevada so will probably give those a crack in the near future.

So I bottled my first BrewPrint (Coopers Celebration Ale) on Sunday night.

I'm an idiot though.

I forgot to add the hop juice sachets before bottling. sad

I was just too excited to get the stuff into bottles.

Hopefully it still turns out ok though. I'm assuming it just won't taste as good.

Would be good if when the app alerts you that it's ready to keg/bottle, that it also reminds you to add your hops. Either way, hopefully I'll remember for next time.

Already put my second one on. It's the German Weissbier... Which doesn't require hops, so shouldn't muck that one up.

All is not lost! You could try dosing the hop solution directly into each bottle.

Get yourself a 1ml syringe (without the hypodermic needle).

Shake and massage the hop sachet prior to opening.

Dose each bottle with around 3.5ml then recap and invert once to mix the hop through the beer.

Leave to carb up as normal.

Each bottle will take three and a half syringes, which is a bit annoying, but a larger syringe won't fit into the hop sachet opening. biggrin

Archived