Coopers Community

So, I have a Brewart...

BeachBanjo

Hey Banjo

I too got myself the brewart kit from maroochydore last week.

American pale ale is 5 days in ...im interested to see how you get on.

Does anyone have any advice on a ginger beer in the droid?

Would i follow a lager or ale format for it?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers fellas that is great feedback from all of you out and appreciate the effort as im new to this game. Sounds like a few of you are a few days further in so look forward to hearing how good that first pint / schooner tastes. I saw a GF kit on a homebrew site hence the question but if it's anything like GF bread or pasta im sure it will be ropey. Anyway as least I tried! Good luck lads, appreciate the answers

You can also control it from your iPhone and check on your iPhone from anywhere (think while your at work) to see how the brew is progressing. Your iPhone tells you what mode its in' date=' what the current temp is , how long its been brewing for and if you a complete moron, what you are brewing.[/quote']

I have an android phone, so no app for me yet sad. Hopefully, they do indeed copy the app to android too, like their site says, coming soon... I would hate if it went the same way as the DIY Beer app and stayed iPhone only.

Hey Banjo

I too got myself the brewart kit from maroochydore last week.

American pale ale is 5 days in ...im interested to see how you get on.

Does anyone have any advice on a ginger beer in the droid?

Would i follow a lager or ale format for it?

Let me know what day your beer was ready to keg' date=' mine took 8 days.

For the ginger beer, you could use the Ale setting I reckon, or a customised one, the recipe for Alcoholic Ginger Beer says to ferment between 21 to 27 degrees. I only brewed a ginger beer once and that was in 2009.

Guys for anyone that cares the android app has been released. Cheers

Cool thanks for the heads up, downloaded it now. The app seems really helpful, and shows more information than the unit itself does. I did get an error on the weekend which related to temperature control but when I cleared the error everything started working again and the temperature had only crept up about 2.5 degrees in the 3 hour window before I cleared the error.

I am brewing the craft Turncoat IPL (modified to 10L, doubled the LME, upped the hops to 25g) in the droid at the moment to test out the lager profile. It seems to be able to hold 12-13 degrees quite well.

Also I had a sneaky taste of the American Pale Ale brewprint which has only been kegged for 1 week, it was mainly to test out the dispenser before I chuck out the boxes it all came in. It actually was really nice and didn't taste as green as I thought it would. It was also really clear, but I am going to save the rest for another 2 weeks minimum anyway.

Banjo you hold me in Suspense.... I am thinking of buying the Droid with the intension of bottling the batch until I find the 1 I like or become a bit more confident in the outcome. I was hoping your latest post was going to be one of great excitement and I was going to be off down to Harvey's to buy one, but now I have to wait for 2 weeks to find out how good your batch was....

PB2 - what is the purpose of the airline in the Brewflo unit?
A pressure regulated air compressor squeezes the bag as it is emptied of beer. This ensures that CO2 gas remains in solution' date=' giving the appropriate level of carbonation in each glass poured. [img']sideways[/img]

PB2 - what is the purpose of the airline in the Brewflo unit?
A pressure regulated air compressor squeezes the bag as it is emptied of beer. This ensures that CO2 gas remains in solution' date=' giving the appropriate level of carbonation in each glass poured. [img']sideways[/img]

Thanks for the explanation PB2- I had a concern about air being in contact with beer but can see what the design is about now. Sounds like a good concept and I think it may take off judging from the interest so far.

Do you have an opinion regarding natural yeast conditioned/carbonated beers versus C02 gas carbonated beer?

For me, Natural Conditioning minimises the risk of oxidation (yeast is an oxygen scavenger) and saves on bought gas. It also suits my purposes because I like to serve my beer using a Carbon Dioxide / Nitrogen blend, which is not as efficient for force carbing as 100% Carbon Dioxide.

For me' date=' Natural Conditioning minimises the risk of oxidation (yeast is an oxygen scavenger) and saves on bought gas. It also suits my purposes because I like to serve my beer using a Carbon Dioxide / Nitrogen blend, which is not as efficient for force carbing as 100% Carbon Dioxide. [/quote']

PB2 - why do you prefer to use a CO2 and N blend? Is it a stout thing? I find that interesting that you still prefer to carbonate with yeast even though it would be simple for you to just dose it with CO2. Is Coopers commercial Aussie Pale Ale in the kegs yeast carbonated?

PS, apologies if this has strayed off topic somewhat.

Yes, all Coopers Commercial Ales are naturally conditioned in bottles, kegs and cans. biggrin

I might be kidding myself but I think the gas blend contributes to a softer mouthfeel and better foam stability. sideways

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Wow Wow

I just tasted my first Brewart brew WOW! Possibly the best beer I've brewed.

I wanted to brew a Peroni tasting beer. and the BrewPrint told me to go with

this this Italian Lager. I did and it tastes just like a Peroni, Crystal Clear and tastes superb!! Perfect head and really really professional looking and tasting Beer!

This Beerdroid thingy is a keeper. One happy camper here!

The last brew I put into it was the Coopers ROTH Prescription Pilsner two nights ago. I put in the ingredients, set it for fermentation at 15 degrees and I'm away in HK all next week and I can check its progress on my iPhone and change things if I wish. When I get back it should be close to finishing fermentation - I think I've discovered the future of my home brewing efforts, or lack of effort.

Cheers,

I am so very happy the Brewart rocks!!!! I live in Europe and have been looking at the Zymatic but the added taxes and shipping makes it too expensive. Brewie is in the works and is much better than the Zymatic, is less expensive and is in Europe but none have been tested so I am waiting.

Home brewing can be anything you want it to be as long as you are happy brewing.

Keep making great beer and drinking it.

Peggy

I finally got around to tasting the American Pale Ale that I had kegged for 3 weeks. biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

I fired up the dispenser on Thursday night, loaded the keg and left to cool for Friday night after work. The dispenser keeps the beer nice and cold, I had it set to 3 degrees, and is pretty quiet when cooled, it was a bit noisy at first while it was chilling though (it is a fridge after all). When pouring the beer the air compressor kicks in after a few seconds and is pretty quiet I thought. I have poured a lot of beers over the years so didn't have any trouble with it but my wife was able to pour them just as well as I was, a proud moment!

I have to say that I loved the beer, it was clear, smooth and had the perfect level of bitterness for me for a Friday night session. The only thing that very mildly disappointed me was that the hops (H1 I think) did not have a very pronounced aroma after being in the keg. I might consider dry hopping next time but I will see what a few more brewprint styles are like first, other hops might have more aroma (or are liquid hops not as good as pellets?). The first 5L keg lasted myself and my wife Friday night and ran out Saturday afternoon after a few more pours. The very last beer that you can squeeze out of the keg does get all the sediment though, so its probably best to toss that one out. I still have the second keg and will save that for another couple of weeks before consuming.

So it all passed the test for me and I just ordered some more kegs and 6 more recipes. I saved a bit over $50 by ordering the components individually rather than in the brewprint box, they seem to be cheaper this way though it takes a lot longer to fill the shopping cart. This way I could also drop the primer (I will be using dextrose this time, and maybe bottling some also), and I don't need the sanitiser tablet so I dropped that too.

My second Brewart brew is even better.

As soon as I bottled the Italian lager I started a Bavarian Lager. I had a couple on the weekend and it surpassed my expectations (which, in fact were fairly high). It has been bottled for just 2 weeks and it is a perfect German lager, once again crystal clear, beautiful colour, creamy white head and perfectly carbonated.

Last night I bottled a Coopers craft ROTH Prescription Pils that took 10 days to brew in the Beerdroid (propagated for 18 hours at 24c and then fermented at 15c). This was to the first brew in the Beerdroid that wasn't a Brewprint. It was designed to make 8 litres so I added extra LDME and filled it to 12 litres. I also added some Saaz hops, together with the recipe included Hallertau (something) hops.

This brew bottled a bit cloudy, in fact fairly cloudy. The other two have bottled near clear. When the Beerdroid (FV) was empty there was some residue at the top that contained mainly green hop sludge. So I will be interested to see if this clears. A cloudy Pils doesn't see too appetizing. I did the usual taste test during bottling and it was really nice so I'll be intrigued to see how it turns out.

Loving the ability to control propagation and fermentation temps so accurately and easily.

Cheers,

Phil

Just bottled my American Pale Ale yesterday and now to wait a couple weeks for them to carb up. Also updated the firmware today and it updated the preset temp profiles for ale and lager brews.

Bottled @ 18C

Would it be possible to cold crash in it for my next brew as the lowest temp it can go is 4C for kegging and 3C for store

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a Brewart and am awaiting delivery. Im looking forward to getting back into brewing. I used to brew a lot in years gone by with a couple of FV's. But these days I am somewhat time poor and also space poor and this looked like a great solution for both problems. I will start out with a couple of Brewprints to get a feel for it, but I am looking forward to creating a few custom brews.

Hopefully we can share experiences and a few custom brew ideas and experiments and such?

Thanks Guys

Archived