Coopers Community

1st time brewer

Ianscott32

Hi I have just had my 1st Coopers Craft beer kit bought for me for fathers day. I have done the whole brewing bit. Took the hydrometer test 2 days in a row. Its stayed the same.

According to the video I am now ready for bottling but the beer is still cloudy.

Do I need to leave it for longer or will the cloudyness clear up after bottling.

Fanx in advance

Hey. In my very limited experience id say this is probably normal. How many days have you been fermenting?

The longer you leave it in the fermenter the clearer it'll become. I've had three weeks recommend to me and that's how long I leave my brews for. They also become clearer after spending some time carbonating in the bottle.

I hope this answers the question. Although there are far more experienced brewers on here than me!

Happy brewing. The best hobby in the world!

Yeah, as talltwits has said basically. I know it's not a 23 litre batch but yeast don't just sink to the bottom instantly when they finish fermenting. It takes time. It will clear in the bottles too, but it does benefit the beer if you leave it for a week or so after reaching FG. It allows the yeast to clean up any off flavours that may be present. Some, including myself, drop the whole fermenter down to about 0 degrees C after this, and leave it there for another week before bottling/kegging. This drops more yeast out as well.

If you are sure that the brew has finished fermenting, you could take advantage of the cold Aussie winter at the moment, and move the brew to a cold shed or garage for a couple of days to 'cold condition (crash)' it. This will drop more yeast out and help with the reducing cloudiness and a heavy yeast flavour.

Let us know it goes.

tallwits&Otto Van Blotto cheers for getting back to me.

Unfortunatley I am not in sunny Oz but live in Eyemouth in the very south east of rainy Scotland.

I have been fermenting for 9 days now

I have just done my 4 hydrometer test and it is the same for the 3rd day in a row.

The brew has been at a steady 20/22* since fermintation.

I will take your guys advice and leave it for another week before bottling.

Thanks again I will repost how it all finishes.

I'd probably cut back on the hydrometer tests next time.. no point wasting good beer, especially in a kid sized batch in the first place. For my ales, I do one reading on day 8 and another on day 10 and that's it because they're always finished fermenting by then in my situation anyway. And then they get the extra few days etc. etc. to clean up too.

Archived