Coopers Community

Tuatara Sauvinova

jackgym

Partial Mash

Im pretty sure they don't do a flavour boil just flame out!

Around 35 IBUs

2x 1.5 liquid pilsner malt extract

750g vienna malt

250g light crystal malt

28g nelson 60 min

28g flame out

34g dry hop

Hops: Nelson Sauvin

Malt: Pilsner' date=' Vienna, Crystal

All grain or kit?

Coopers APA, 250g light crystal, short boil Nelson Sauvin - say 5 minutes for flavour and dry hop with the same.[/quote']

It will be a kit.

It will be a kit.

I'd go with my suggestion, a brief 5 litre boil of say 25 grams and then dry hop about 50 grams.

Point on the short boil is the volume of liquid. I do a 20 minute flameout addition for my hop forward beers BUT I have about 30 litres and it holds it's temperature for sometime.

It will be a kit.

I'd go with my suggestion' date=' a brief 5 litre boil of say 25 grams and then dry hop about 50 grams.

Point on the short boil is the volume of liquid. I do a 20 minute flameout addition for my hop forward beers BUT I have about 30 litres and it holds it's temperature for sometime.[/quote']

That's interesting about the short boil and the volume of liquid.

Do you understand my point?

I don't boil any hops apart from the bittering addition.

Hop oils isomerise above 80° - ie turn into bitterness. My volume of liquid - in the order of 30 litres - will stay a lot warmer for longer than 5 litres will.

Do you understand my point?

I don't boil any hops apart from the bittering addition.

Hop oils isomerise above 80° - ie turn into bitterness. My volume of liquid - in the order of 30 litres - will stay a lot warmer for longer than 5 litres will.

Gotcha! Thanks for your knowledge.

• 2 years later...
On 6/27/2016 at 12:38 PM, Waylon said:

Partial Mash

Im pretty sure they don't do a flavour boil just flame out!

Around 35 IBUs

2x 1.5 liquid pilsner malt extract

750g vienna malt

250g light crystal malt

28g nelson 60 min

28g flame out

34g dry hop

Could someone possibly elaborate this recipe for someone who's thinking of making the very first brew of their own?

How much water do I use at which phase? How about the temperature of the water at each phase? If I were to replace the pilsner extract with actual malt, how much would I require? How about the hopping? Do I use 28g of Nelson with flame out hopping and 34g of Nelson with dry hopping? When should I start the dry hopping and for how long do I do it for?

Thanks in advance.

@Newt

It depends on your brewing system. What do you use to brew, a pot, a grainfather type thing, or what? I use a 15l pot that I fill with 10l of water for my brews. I make sure the wort  in the pot that I use for hop additions is at 1.040 gravity. So basically 1kg of fermentables or a little less gets me at that figure.

For this recipe I would mash the grains and crystal malt for 60 minutes then add that wort to my pot and fill it to 10l and check the pre boil gravity to ensure I am near 1.040. If not then add some dry malt or liquid malt to reach that gravity. This article talks about how much water to use to mash. https://byo.com/article/calculating-water-usage-advanced-brewing/

You then get this wort up to a boil. Once it starts to boil you can add the 1st hop addition of 60min, 28g of nelson sauvin. After 60min turn the heat off and add the flameout hops of 28g and let steep for 15 mins, stirring to form a whirlpool and remove from heat source. After the 15 minutes you can then add the rest of the liquid malt and stir through the wort, then quickly with some ice bricks cool off the wort fill up to 21l or whatever you set your IBUS for. To figure out if this will reach 35ibus you need to use some brewing software to check your figures and equipment. On my system I would have to up the 60min or the flameout to reach 35ibus, I have never had the beer but I would be upping the flameout to get there because it adds more flavour and aromas or upping the 60 minute would give it a better backbone, but I have never tried it so dont know what is the style.

Either way that is the best I could do, you have to brew it on your system and enter your figures to get the ibus right. You would dry hop for 3 to 5 days after final gravity has been reached.

Norris

On 12/15/2018 at 6:34 AM, Norris! said:

@Newt

It depends on your brewing system. What do you use to brew, a pot, a grainfather type thing, or what? I use a 15l pot that I fill with 10l of water for my brews. I make sure the wort  in the pot that I use for hop additions is at 1.040 gravity. So basically 1kg of fermentables or a little less gets me at that figure.

For this recipe I would mash the grains and crystal malt for 60 minutes then add that wort to my pot and fill it to 10l and check the pre boil gravity to ensure I am near 1.040. If not then add some dry malt or liquid malt to reach that gravity. This article talks about how much water to use to mash. https://byo.com/article/calculating-water-usage-advanced-brewing/

You then get this wort up to a boil. Once it starts to boil you can add the 1st hop addition of 60min, 28g of nelson sauvin. After 60min turn the heat off and add the flameout hops of 28g and let steep for 15 mins, stirring to form a whirlpool and remove from heat source. After the 15 minutes you can then add the rest of the liquid malt and stir through the wort, then quickly with some ice bricks cool off the wort fill up to 21l or whatever you set your IBUS for. To figure out if this will reach 35ibus you need to use some brewing software to check your figures and equipment. On my system I would have to up the 60min or the flameout to reach 35ibus, I have never had the beer but I would be upping the flameout to get there because it adds more flavour and aromas or upping the 60 minute would give it a better backbone, but I have never tried it so dont know what is the style.

Either way that is the best I could do, you have to brew it on your system and enter your figures to get the ibus right. You would dry hop for 3 to 5 days after final gravity has been reached.

Norris

Thanks, this already helped a ton. I'd still like to get some opinions from more experienced brewers.

I tried out different amounts of different malts on Brewer's Friend and came up with a combination that seems to make at least some sense. Could someone please correct me if I'm way off the tracks here?

What I'm most confused about is the amount of hops needed. According to the software, 60 min boil of 10 grams alone would be enough to achieve 35 IBU. Can the numbers possibly be correct? I'd assume 10 grams (plus the 30ish for dry hopping) is nowhere near enough to gain enough aromas from hops.

Sauvinova.PNG

So you are doing a 9l batch? That is why you ibus are so high for 10g. A 30g dry hop in 9l works out to be about 3g per liter which is fair but some really hoppy ales have between 5g and 10g a liter for that additional aroma and flavor, you could increase the dry hop to those levels.

Your confusion is around the batch size and boil size. The original recipe was for 21 or 23l, it looks like you are making a 9l batch, which would take less hops to reach the bitterness and aroma levels. If you are only boiling 9l and then topping up with water to 21l you need to have more hops to increase the bitterness, this is called a hop concentration factor.

If you are doing a small batch biab at 9l then yes 10g of hops would get to 35 ibus. Then adjust the dry hop to your tastes.

I hope someone with more experience will chime in to add some more thoughts.

Cheers

Norris

Gday Newt,

Norris offers some very sound advice there.

just a couple of questions, is the 9l your full batch size or is this to top up on top of a kit? If adding this to a base, is it going to be a bittered kit or non bittered?

I think the Pilsner/Vienna ratio is a bit out. But will need to know the questions above to give you better answers.

If you are adding to an extract I’d use a pils based one. 

As far as your IBU’s are concerned. In a 9l batch that sounds about right. 

To get that gooseberry flavour I would add a fair chunk at the whirlpool steep. I normally do a backbone bitterness of around a third of the overall bitterness. This gives you some room to move and get some flavour in for your late additions.

37 minutes ago, Norris! said:

So you are doing a 9l batch? 

Yeah, that's about what I'd go for as I don't want to make my first batch too big. What confused me the most was the "2 x 1.5 pilsner extract" in the original recipe. For some reason I figured the recipe was roughly for 10 liters.

Also forgot to mention earler, yes, I'm using a pot for brewing 

Thanks again for the advice.

35 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

just a couple of questions, is the 9l your full batch size or is this to top up on top of a kit? If adding this to a base, is it going to be a bittered kit or non bittered?

I think the Pilsner/Vienna ratio is a bit out. But will need to know the questions above to give you better answers.

If you are adding to an extract I’d use a pils based one. 

To get that gooseberry flavour I would add a fair chunk at the whirlpool steep.

9 liters is the final batch size. Like I mentioned already, the "2 x 1.5 pilsner extract" is what confused me earlier. I wasn't thinking of using extracts or kits but doing a full mash instead. (Unless you strongly suggest doing otherwise)

I now realize that the Vienna and Crystal amounts need to be a lot lower. I really wouldn't mind you sharing your suggestions.

What comes to hopping, you mean I could do something like: 10g boiled for 60mins, 20g(?) after boiling (15 minutes?) while stirring and cooling down and finally 20-30g dry hopping for 4-5

Ok. I’d change your grains to pils base around 70%, Vienna to 25% and crystal to 5%. This is nothing out of the ordinary but a good base to start for your first go at this recipe. You can adjust to your tastes in the next batch. I find Tuatara beers to be fairly malt forward so maybe up the Vienna if a more robust malt flavour is desired.

Hops wise I’d go 3g for a boil, then 10g for a steep (10mins) once you’ve turned the flame off, get it down to below 80 degrees and do another  steep of 10-15g (10mins)

The below 80 hops will add flavour and little to no bitterness. The steep hops at flame out will add flavour and bitterness. 

Put these into your software and adjust to suit your desired ibus. As I’ve just taken a stab in the dark at the amounts. 

Id then dry hop at around 30g 

On a side note dry hopping makes the ph go up and then makes the bitterness perceived as more. 

13 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Put these into your software and adjust to suit your desired ibus. As I’ve just taken a stab in the dark at the amounts. 

Will do. Thank you very much for your help. 

Archived