Coopers Community

Nelson Brewery Old Admiral recipe.

Jay

Just polished one of these off at lunch. And I want lots more without paying $9 for a pint of it.

Anybody got a similar recipe they'd be lovely enough to share, ideally BIAB?

Going to try making a few different beers this winter English Bitter, Porter etc.

Cheers Jay

You could do worse than popping into the Lord Nelson & asking; either they'll give you some pointers or they won't.

As you're only making home brew, & not looking to compete with them, you may be surprised at the result if you show genuine interest in the science & artistry that goes into making their brew.

Hi Jay.

There is very little in the way of factual information about the ingredients that make up this beer, & relevant information was very hard to find.

After quite a bit of searching, I did manage to find this release from Samuel Smith who are the marketer/distributor for the Lord Nelson Brewery here in AUS...

Lord Nelson Brewery - Old Admiral Old Ale notes

It appears to be a full bodied malt driven Amber Ale type recipe.

Specialty malts appear to be Dark crystal or more specifically CaraAroma, & a smallish amount of Chocolate malt.

The hop mentioned in the document is the NZ bred "Super Alpha" (although spelled incorrectly! tongue).

Super Alpha went through a name change back in 2012 & is now known as "Dr. Rudi". It's likely a single early boil addition (60-90mins) to attain the 32IBU quoted.

Yeast appears to be of an English type that produces a dry finish.

EBC will likely be somewhere within the 20 - 45 mark that governs the Old Ale style.

I'm sure it's a very nice drop, but as far as Old Ale style beers go, I highly doubt it's as good as THIS. wink

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm sure it's a very nice drop' date=' but as far as Old Ale style beers go, I highly doubt it's as good as THIS. wink

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I thought the Coopers Extra Strong Vintage was more of a strong ale or English Strong Ale.

Theakston Old Peculier is a nice old ale love

I thought the Coopers Extra Strong Vintage was more of a strong ale or English Strong Ale.

Theakston Old Peculier is a nice old ale love

I've always looked at the term "Strong" in a beer title to mean fuller flavour' date=' not necessarily higher ABV.

Also some would argue the term "Vintage" can been taken as "Old". [img']wink[/img]

But I'm not an argumentative person. tongue

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

That Lord Nelson beer is bloody good, I prefer it over the ESVA myself, but that's personal taste really. I like the flavours in it from the darker malts.

The style guidelines for strong ales have them at minimum 6% ABV and leaning towards the maltier side in terms of flavour, although it also mentions that some examples are lower in ABV as well.

Cheers guys especially Lusty, I guess I could roughly put something together based on those ingredients and outcomes.

When I get a recipe together I might post it for you guys to give your opinions on. Being still a relative beginner that I am.

I'll pop in and try and get a bit more info on the malts too.

Cheers j

Archived