Coopers Community

Yeasts and Malts and Hops

Phoenix76

Hi All

As a newbie to brewing, this time around, I'm looking for a bit of help. I've tried searching the forum but can't really find what I'm looking for. Also searched Google but get a lot of overseas info rather than what,s is applicable to the Aussie brewer.

I'm looking for a checklist or chart showing what different yeasts are used for. I'm still using kits but have started adding bits and pieces to try something different. I can be quite adventurous at times. I primarily use Coopers kits and the kit yeast. Don't have any problems with my beer but would like to try something different. The aim is to advance to AG down the track.

Same thing with malts, and grains therefore. Is there such a thing as a checklist or chart for malts/grains. Suppose I'd better add Hops to the question as well. Have already added different hops as suggested by recipes I've found.

So in a nutshell, is there somewhere I can find this type of list to help me learn the effects of different types of these brew items. I have John Palmer's excellent brewing book but it doesn't really answer these questions from an Aussie point of view.

Cheers all

I havent come across any definitive lists like that. But i tend to work along the lines of... a neutral style ale (pale ale etc) not majorly hopped i use us05 mj workhorse or nottingham.

Bigger bolder flavors i go for mj m44. S04 or bry... . Then if its a very malty low hopped ale i look at british yeasts. Like burton union from mj etc. Lagers. Obviously lager yeasts. With a bit of research you will quickly get an understanding of which yeast types to use. Also speak to the guys in your home brew store when u buy. Ask them. Basically clean yeasts for clean beers. Fruity yeasts for hoppier beers. Malt yeasts for malty ones. Or ask in here before u buy. I like to try plan my brews before i go shopping so i know what i am aiming for so i can ask the questions.

Now hops. Being a kits and bits. Brewer (slowly advamcing past that) i tend to buy the kit. Thinking about what extra flavour i want. Like big ipa i want massive fruit hits then read off the labels what each hop brings. Lagers look for the old school noble hops.

I am guessing you arent using for bittering just flavour and aroma so ignore the aa% and look at the flavours they add.

Now malts are a bit alien to me too. I tend to stick with ldme or liquid pilsen. But if i am brewing something specific like a yorkshire bitter. Then i ask for a biscuity malt.

I know i havent answered your question but hopefully i have given u a bit of help. The biggest thing i can say to you is plan your beers then you can ask the questions.

Sadly you won't find too much Australian stuff with the level of polish that you get from international sources, like YCH Hops (hops chart) and BYO (yeast guide). I find myself guesstimating a bit when using online calculators, and making assumptions when it comes to what will work in a drop-down box as a substitution. The truth is the market just isn't as big over here, and it's more oriented to extract brewing anyway, so the demand for such materials is pretty low.

I will cite one Australian source though:

. Such guides are good to give you an overview of different possibilities, but at the end of the day you have to work with something to really get a feel for what it provides anyway. Don't get overwhelmed, set yourself a plan and trust your own judgement - the stuff's there and available, and it'll work to do what you need it to do: don't feel like you need to work to understand things that are outside your requirements.

I'm looking for a bit of help.

Nothing all inclusive.

Ask here for help.

Aussie malts are good for Aussie beer. As is PoR.

British beers like Marris Otter and British Yeasts, S04, Liberty Bell, New World Strong and any hop grown in the UK.

US Pales like US05, M44, BRY and US hops. Also New Aussie hops and NZ hops go well.

Nothing all inclusive.

Ask here for help.

British beers like Marris Otter and British Yeasts' date=' S04, Liberty Bell, New World Strong and any hop grown in the UK.

US Pales like US05, M44, BRY and US hops. Also New Aussie hops and NZ hops go well.[/quote']

Wow ben. I am not arguing just saying we must have different tastes. I have not been able to brew a beer i am happy with with POR. Funny though cos i like it in aussie commercial beer. Maybe i dont treat it right

Hey fellas, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Guess I never really expected there would be a list just sitting there for me to look at.

But some of your responses will give me a good lead when I try to create something myself. I have made a list of different malts, especially Coopers, and what they are mainly used for.

Love Coppers PA and brew it a lot. First come across Coopers PA, commercial style, back when the Brisbane Lions belted Essendon for the AFL premiership. I was out west at Innamincka and like it was 50 in the waterbag so we headed into the pub. Watched the game whilst drinking Pale Ale off the tap. I tell ya, the pub wasn't air conditioned but it had big covered verandahs all around. That was a great way to spend a Saturday arvo.

Other than PA, I love big malty blacks. Stouts, porters and dark ales. Just finished a batch of Devils Half Ruby Porter. Bloody great stuff. Just got to get my timing better so my brews can come of age before I drink them. This one got better with each bottle.

So, a lot of me raving on, but this sorta says why I want to experiment. Don't know how to improve on Coopers PA, but I think there is a lot of room to play with the black beers. cheers

Hey fellas' date=' thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Guess I never really expected there would be a list just sitting there for me to look at.

But some of your responses will give me a good lead when I try to create something myself. I have made a list of different malts, especially Coopers, and what they are mainly used for.

Love Coppers PA and brew it a lot. First come across Coopers PA, commercial style, back when the Brisbane Lions belted Essendon for the AFL premiership. I was out west at Innamincka and like it was 50 in the waterbag so we headed into the pub. Watched the game whilst drinking Pale Ale off the tap. I tell ya, the pub wasn't air conditioned but it had big covered verandahs all around. That was a great way to spend a Saturday arvo.

Other than PA, I love big malty blacks. Stouts, porters and dark ales. Just finished a batch of Devils Half Ruby Porter. Bloody great stuff. Just got to get my timing better so my brews can come of age before I drink them. This one got better with each bottle.

So, a lot of me raving on, but this sorta says why I want to experiment. Don't know how to improve on Coopers PA, but I think there is a lot of room to play with the black beers. cheers[/quote']

Oh i can improve the coopers pa. Dry hop with 15gm vic secret and 15gm nelson sauvin on day 4

Nothing all inclusive.

Ask here for help.

British beers like Marris Otter and British Yeasts' date=' S04, Liberty Bell, New World Strong and any hop grown in the UK.

US Pales like US05, M44, BRY and US hops. Also New Aussie hops and NZ hops go well.[/quote']

Wow ben. I am not arguing just saying we must have different tastes. I have not been able to brew a beer i am happy with with POR. Funny though cos i like it in aussie commercial beer. Maybe i dont treat it right

Coopers kits unsure

Hi All

As a newbie to brewing' date=' this time around, I'm looking for a bit of help. I've tried searching the forum but can't really find what I'm looking for. Also searched Google but get a lot of overseas info rather than what,s is applicable to the Aussie brewer.

I'm looking for a checklist or chart showing what different yeasts are used for. I'm still using kits but have started adding bits and pieces to try something different. I can be quite adventurous at times. I primarily use Coopers kits and the kit yeast. Don't have any problems with my beer but would like to try something different. The aim is to advance to AG down the track.

Same thing with malts, and grains therefore. Is there such a thing as a checklist or chart for malts/grains. Suppose I'd better add Hops to the question as well. Have already added different hops as suggested by recipes I've found.

So in a nutshell, is there somewhere I can find this type of list to help me learn the effects of different types of these brew items. I have John Palmer's excellent brewing book but it doesn't really answer these questions from an Aussie point of view.

Cheers all[/quote']

Hey Phoenix

Just go to the Craft Brewer Web Site. I find that they provide a pretty good description of what each yeast brings to the beer, the same can be said for their grain listings.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

If you like aussie commercial beers!

Does that meen you like Carlton drought type lagers?

If so stick to the OS LAger can too 23 litres, and add 1kg LDM & 250g white cane suger and use 2x saflager34/70 yeasts and pitch @ 16 degrees ferment out @ 12-14 for 4 days then ramp temp 2 degrees everyday until finished,

The early fermentation 12-14 is most important as you hit peak days 3-4 raise temp with a heat belt

Benny Boyz missed my point!

Fermentation for me is best when I pitch within 2 degrees close to a strike fermentation temperature...

After 26 hours the brew is quite established well and truly in most cases!

After 4 days on average most brews are more closer to the final quarter stage of fermentation...

Its at this stage it is best to raise temperature... adding 1 or 2 degrees each day until final readings are established...

Why? because it wakes up any sleepy yeast and finishes of the brew... by raising yeasts above there recommended temperature will not cause any off flavours,

Off yeast flavours will only come in the early stages of pitching and fermentation!

Last time I was in Darwin it was june july august sept 2004

bloody loved it,

wish I stayed,

Kelsey wtf YOU TALKING ABOUT mate!

whose drinking carlton draught clones

30% cane suger brews?

Archived