Coopers Community

"GMO Free"

IsaacBeers

Does anyone else find it annoying that this is on the side of the Coopers tins?

Aside from it being a bit of a pointless statement (name one beer or homebrew product that DOES contain genetically modified crops), I feel it only serves to perpetuate the myth that GM technology is some kind of evil franken-food in the same way that 'no MSG' labels have perpetuated long-debunked myths about another unfairly maligned acronym.

As long as there is no evidence that GMOs are harmful, boasting about their absence from your product only reinforces the stigma you'll have to overcome if one day you do include GMO ingredients..

(of course another argument is that hop varieties, yeast strains, and even barley wouldn't exist today without human intervention, so in reality all but the water in beer has been genetically modified to some extent..)

Does anyone else find it annoying that this is on the side of the Coopers tins?

I don't.

What is the keyboard in your avatar pic? I had a Juno 106 for a while back in the day, loved it....

What is the keyboard in your avatar pic? I had a Juno 106 for a while back in the day' date=' loved it....[/quote']

Nothing nearly that exciting! It is a Hammond 'Sounder' I was given a while ago by an acquaintance who was otherwise going to chuck it on the verge.

While looking for info on it online I saw it referred to as "the worst Hammond made" on more than one gear forum

I dismantled the cabinet and built it into a more compact/portable box that looks good on a keyboard stand (the cloth on top was salvaged from the speaker grill). Once I finish my electronics diploma I intend to gut it further and replace most or all of the innards with an analog paraphonic synth of my own design smile

10920097_10152711187188845_1530881800139631064_o.jpg

(of course another argument is that hop varieties' date=' yeast strains, and even barley wouldn't exist today without human intervention, so in reality all but the water in beer has been genetically modified to some extent..)[/quote']

Personally I could't give two hoots.

I care about as much about a product claiming to be GMO free as I do it being Halal, or Kosher.

If it's a product I want to use, I'll use it because of what it is, not what market it's trying to appeal to or what sort of stance the producers of the product are making on farming or social policy; unless they're Fascist or support something so far out that supporting them in any way would compromise my principles.

That said, I draw the line at buying supermarket brand milk.

Dairy farmers do it tough enough without being screwed by big companies that buy their products at cheap wholesale prices in bulk forcing them into a downward price trajectory that can only lead to detriment to their industry.

I do agree with your initial premise though; even non GMO so called "organic" food would not be in its present state if humans had not selectively bred crops, animals, or whatever over many generations to create the foods we now see as familiar.

These days for example, a purple carrot is a novelty, but that was the original colour they were, so arguably, orange carrots are a product of human intervention.

Likewise of course malt & wheat were merely forms of grass before humans intervened, & wild yeast would never have adapted to be the ale, lager & brewing yeasts we know today by chance without human involvement.

Unfortunately Coopers are not immune to the consumer market expectation that the companies that customers buy from reflect their values, as confused, contradictory, or counter intuitive as they may be.

Consumers like to think they're clever & conscientious, & producers know this, so they appeal to their self perception with things like non GMO, Fair Trade, Organic, & the like on labels, much of which can't really be verified & warrants premium pricing, some of which is just to make the product stand out as being different in some appealing way to their competition.

It's only a matter of time before a home brew comes out that is gluten free, to cater to those on that bandwagon, & the minuscule minority of a minority of people who genuinely have a problem with gluten that want to consume beer.

That doesn't annoy me no, what annoys me is all the fear mongering misinformation that is spread far and wide by all these anti GMO freaks; it has about as much credibility as the chemtrail conspiracy. But people believe it because they've been brainwashed into thinking big companies or the government is "out ta get me". Of course, they fail to remember that just about every appliance and household item they use, including the technology they use to complain about it all, is manufactured by big companies.

That doesn't annoy me no' date=' what annoys me is all the fear mongering misinformation that is spread far and wide by all these anti GMO freaks; it has about as much credibility as the chemtrail conspiracy. But people believe it because they've been brainwashed into thinking big companies or the government is "out ta get me". Of course, they fail to remember that just about every appliance and household item they use, including the technology they use to complain about it all, is manufactured by big companies. [/quote']

I feel your pain, but as for GMO I think the big companies are actually as much a problem as the scientifically illiterate base of paranoiacs that would have it banned entirely. In theory gene science can be used to solve sustainability crises around the world, practically end famine; in reality, it's channeled through big corps (dare I name Monsanto) who create pesticide resistant crops (so it can sell the pesticide), and infertile seeds (so it can rope farmers in on a subscription basis). Science should lead to an open betterment of human understanding and faculty, not a long list of patents.

I am more concerned with dihydrogen monoxide in beer.

Monoxide, you say? Has anyone told the German brewers forum about this? I don't think they'd like it much at all. Some new processes may be in order.

That doesn't annoy me no' date=' what annoys me is all the fear mongering misinformation that is spread far and wide by all these anti GMO freaks; it has about as much credibility as the chemtrail conspiracy. But people believe it because they've been brainwashed into thinking big companies or the government is "out ta get me". Of course, they fail to remember that just about every appliance and household item they use, including the technology they use to complain about it all, is manufactured by big companies. [/quote']

I feel your pain, but as for GMO I think the big companies are actually as much a problem as the scientifically illiterate base of paranoiacs that would have it banned entirely. In theory gene science can be used to solve sustainability crises around the world, practically end famine; in reality, it's channeled through big corps (dare I name Monsanto) who create pesticide resistant crops (so it can sell the pesticide), and infertile seeds (so it can rope farmers in on a subscription basis). Science should lead to an open betterment of human understanding and faculty, not a long list of patents.

They make herbicide (kills plants) resistant crops so when they spray herbicide on them it doesn't kill the crop. normally roundup resistant (glyphosate resistant).

They make insect resistant crops so they don't need to spray the crops with insecticide (kills insects).

but even crops designed for the betterment of humanity are being blocked. First world people spreading lies about GMOs in the third world has been blocking golden rice (high vitamin A). People have gone as far as traveling the third world trial sites and destroying the crops.

They make herbicide (kills plants) resistant crops so when they spray herbicide on them it doesn't kill the crop. normally roundup resistant (glyphosate resistant).

So all we need is genetically modified humans who are herbicide resistant so they can eat the crops?

The minute traces left behind once it gets to your plate are nowhere near enough to cause any issues' date=' despite what the pseudoscience pushers like to believe.[/quote']

Are you calling homoeopathy a pseudoscience!? Minute traces are all you need. In fact, the more minute the trace, the greater the effect! I read it on the internet.

The minute traces left behind once it gets to your plate are nowhere near enough to cause any issues' date=' despite what the pseudoscience pushers like to believe.[/quote']

Are you calling homoeopathy a pseudoscience!? Minute traces are all you need. In fact, the more minute the trace, the greater the effect! I read it on the internet.

lollollol

So all we need is genetically modified humans who are herbicide resistant so they can eat the crops?

My kids are genetically modified; the product of a selected breeding programme based on my choices and desired outcome, not some random mating. If humans were not GM we would all be chocolate brown and look and behave alike.

lollollol

How many homeopaths does it take to change a lightbulb?

Archived