Coopers Community

AG - What do I need?

you can brew larger batches in a smaller pot , you will lose a bit in brewhouse efficiency and use more hops to get a predictable IBU target but it can be done .

i've used up to 4.9 kg grain in a 22 l pot on the stove , achieve 21-23 l batches depending on target OG.

i sparge and top up the boil then also top up FV to targets .

i'll take photos of tomorrows brew day if i remember

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11g of dry yeast is actually close to perfect for a 10L batch. It certainly won't be detrimental.

Required yeast pitching volumes are dependent on original gravity & ferment temperature' date=' not batch size (ferment volume).

For a typical OG ale brew of 1.040-1.050, 11gms of dry yeast is actually closer to being an overpitch than it is an underpitch, if being used on a 10 litre batch size. [img']whistling[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

For a typical OG ale brew of 1.040-1.050' date=' 11gms of dry yeast is actually closer to being an overpitch than it is an underpitch, if being used on a 10 litre batch size. [img']whistling[/img]

I wouldn't say that overpitch is a big deal ... 10.5 litres of my 1.046 OG American Amber Ale pitched with an 11g pack of US-05 has turned into a beautiful drop!

BTW thank you for the inspiration, my recipe was loosely based around an all-grain version of your Mosaic Amber Ale, except with a Motueka and Galaxy combo.

Cheers,

John

you can brew larger batches in a smaller pot ' date=' you will lose a bit in brewhouse efficiency and use more hops to get a predictable IBU target but it can be done .

i've used up to 4.9 kg grain in a 22 l pot on the stove , achieve 21-23 l batches depending on target OG.

i sparge and top up the boil then also top up FV to targets .

i'll take photos of tomorrows brew day if i remember [/quote']

Markoman, this is very interesting, making up to 23L with a small pot on the stove.

I have an 18L pot and an 11L FV for small brews and a normal 30L FV which I use to make 23L batches. If I'm going to try all grain, I might as well make more than 10L.

Can you give us your Ale recipe and method using my 18L pot to achieve somewhere around 20L of brew.

Thanks.

11g of dry yeast is actually close to perfect for a 10L batch. It certainly won't be detrimental.

Required yeast pitching volumes are dependent on original gravity & ferment temperature' date=' not batch size (ferment volume).

For a typical OG ale brew of 1.040-1.050, 11gms of dry yeast is actually closer to being an overpitch than it is an underpitch, if being used on a 10 litre batch size. [img']whistling[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well, volume definitely has something to do with it. That's why it's better to 'step-up' volume with a starter wort if your yeast viability is low rather than pitch it right into a large batch. As for overpitching, the reading I did suggested the negative consequences wouldn't really show until you're at 4 to 6 times the recommended pitch rate, and the 11g sachets aren't usually hitting that recommended rate anyway.

Well, you could always pitch the yeast dry and kill half of it if you're worried about an over pitch lol

Batch volume does come into calculations too. The pitch rate is based off the OG and batch size, obviously a bigger batch size of the same OG will require more yeast than a smaller one. I guess the calculators just assume you're fermenting it at the temp it should be at.. having said that, there won't be much difference between 18 and 21 for an ale batch. The big differences are between ales and lagers.

Archived