Sign in to follow this  
Beerlust

"Proofing" Dry Yeast

Well I might give this rehydrating in weak wort for 30 minutes a try, before dumping it in my starter. Maybe it will solve my problems with phenolic off-flavour with US-05?

The recipe works out to 3-8gm of DME in 125mL of water (= SG 1.008-1.024). One level teaspoon is about 3.5gm on my scales.

Cheers!

Christina.

At least I know I'm doing what I should be doing with that stuff.

Or do you?

You know what you have been lead to believe and what seems to work...

I'm sure pitching a smack pack straight into a batch of wort works just as well as the 7g dry yeast dry pitched into most kit brews seems to, but that doesn't mean it's the best way. I'd much rather build it up in a starter and be more confident of pitching the required amount of cells, and be able to harvest clean yeast at the same time so I don't have to keep buying $14 packets of yeast every brew...

I'm sure pitching a smack pack straight into a batch of wort works just as well as the 7g dry yeast dry pitched into most kit brews seems to' date=' but that doesn't mean it's the best way.[/quote']

I have doubts about this ideal, built from my own practical brewing experiences & asking PB2 about the starting seeded volumes of yeast contained within their commercial ale bottles, & then the growth rate of those through a re-activation process, & what yeast volumes that ends up producing that then ferments out various OG brews comfortably.

I personally feel a combination of scare tactics, false brew fail evidence, & a yeast influenced brew fail prevention ideology has led to the acceptance of elevated pitching levels above those recommended & packaged by the manufacturers who seem to be ignored as producing a stand alone product that will adequately ferment within the guidelines they specify it will, despite having all the lab proven testing to prove their packaged volume will.

I'd much rather build it up in a starter and be more confident of pitching the required amount of cells' date=' and be able to harvest clean yeast at the same time so I don't have to keep buying $14 packets of yeast every brew... [/quote']

I don't have a single problem with this approach to using commercial yeast as an OPTION for brewers. I just don't feel it is altogether necessary in most situations, nor do I believe it should be said to being something needing to be obligatory for all situations.

For propagation, storage & re-use of yeast volumes I think the starter process is far better & more consistent than pitching a new brew onto a fresh yeast cake method. But not everyone wants to always re-use their fermented brew yeast again do they? innocent

It is safe sometimes. We don't always need to wear hats. wink

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm not saying everyone should be making starters and/or harvesting yeast from them, and there will be times when I only use a yeast once too. That wasn't the implication of what I posted above. For my often used yeasts though, it's a great idea, and it works very well.

I just go by the recommended pitch rates, they exist for a reason. It's not gonna be a catastrophe if it's a bit under, and if the manufacturers of (dry) yeast are saying that one pack will ferment out a standard size/OG wort, then you'd have to figure the cell count is up there where it should be. In my experience before making starters, I had no issues either, though I doubt I'd go back to doing that now unless I was only using the yeast once.

The problem I have is that you get these Wyeast smack packs that contain 100 billion viable cells at manufacture which then decreases with time, and then go and say that it can be pitched into a 19L wort of (up to) 1.060 SG and be a professional pitching rate. It's less than half of the recommended pitch rate at 1.060 and even worse for lagers; are they saying that the professionals are pitching at less than half of the recommended rates? Or are these pitching rates only applicable to home brewers because hardly any of us aerate our wort properly?

At the end of the day, I prefer to pitch at recommended rates, I prefer to know approximately how much I actually am pitching as well. I'm not gonna knowingly underpitch by half or more, so a starter is the logical thing to do. Even if I'm only using the yeast on one batch, I'll still build it up in a starter, I just won't overbuild it due to not harvesting.

Yeast is a part of brewing that is often overlooked, when in fact it is one of the most important facets of the art and can make or break a beer.