Coopers Community

Brew and Food Pairing

Beers Gone Wild

Beer and Food go together so well, just wondering what everyone eats while they are having a Beer or three?

Whenever we have a session I always like to have an easy eating food which goes well with a few beers.

My Favourites:

Charcoal Chicken wings - Slow roasted over a charcoal fire on a spit ( Take about 40 mins). A bit of lemon juice and some nostrimini seasoning on the wings, its killer.

Wings are about $4 kilo, so cheap and tasty. I allow for about 4 wings per person. I usually buy about 3-4KG at a time, can fit about 1 kilo per spit. Sometimes Ill throw a roast on the spit for a change. The meat just falls from the bones. Also keeps you warm in winter.

Drinking a nice IPA or Pale Ale goes down a treat with the wings.

Beef Jerky - The lads cannot get enough of this, I cant make enough. I buy a Beef Round Roast, slice and marinade it. THe marinade can be made out of anything you like, I always add a bit of chilli to spice things up. I also use liquid smoke in the marinade and it tastes awesome.Then pop it in the Food Dehydrator.

The meat costs about $15 kg, gives you about 500 gram of jerky. Alot cheaper than paying $100 Kilo + for the commercial jerky.

Goes down well with any Brew biggrin

Oysters - Not much to say here. Kilpatrick rocks with a good beer.

A friend dropped a jar of "Sauerkraut" around on the weekend, I had never tasted it before, very damn tasty with a Brew.

I am just in the process of making my first "Sauerkraut" today, so easy and goes great with a beer.

Happy to say the sauerkraut is fermenting nicely, a lot of bubbles. Used 4KG of cabbage.

Popped it in my brew fridge while the brew ferments so both will pretty much fermented at the same time... Cant wait to taste it.

Its pretty cool how you can run bot in the same fridge, nice constant temperature.

Doing my next batch of jerky later in the week.

IMG_4309_zpsrcfkzboo.jpg

Hi BGW.

Interesting little experiment you have going there with the sauerkraut. cool

Since you love fermenting cabbage so much tongue, have you ever heard of or tried "Kimchi"? unsure It sorta takes the sauerkraut ideal to another level.

Traditional Napa Cabbage Kimchi recipe (with video)

I'll be surprised if porschemad911 hasn't made or at least tried this stuff. wink

Good luck with the brew(s) & the sauerkraut. I'll look forward to your comments on how it all turned out.

Lusty.

BeerLust: Thanks for that video, it looks like Kimchi is the next to go in smile

That stuff looks damn tasty, at least I can say to the Wife the fermenting fridge has two purposes - Food and Beer.. hahaha

I like the idea of "making" cheap and tasty snacks to go with a Beer Session. Our Vegetable garden needs some work, but I'm hoping to go self sufficient with Vegetables this year.

Fermenting the Veg seems the way to go as we always have to much left over.

Kim Chi is a cracker. I've made it at home in the past on a small scale. But tend to just buy it now from the local Asian grocer. Have found a wonderful brand out of Korea (see attached).

Thanks Pete. I'll have to go & check my local Asian grocery. It is a longish process to make the stuff yourself.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Lusty,

Yes its like making beer - have to wait forever to taste it.

The Lohas brand has a little sweetness to it. The flavour is one of the best I've tried of the imported Korean versions. Have found some are just too funky from all the fermented fish or prawn pastes.

Cheers,

Pete

I dont think I would like fermented fish, saw it on "i am celebrity" and they all gagged from it biggrin

I am definately going to make one next week. I live in regional SA, no asian stores here.

My sauerkraut should be ready for tasting Saturday (7 days fermenting)

Hi guys,

Chilli and beer is awesome i reckon.

I make these Sriracha chicken wings you can bake in the oven. They'd probably be pretty damn good the the spit too. It's a super easy marinade to make if you have the ingredients.

It goes like this

1/4 cup Sriracha chilli sauce

3 tablespoons of tomato sauce

2 tablespoons of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of brown or raw sugar

1 teaspoons of sea salt

Bake in oven then sprinkle with sesame seeds and chilli flakes to taste.

Yummo!

Luke

Ale.Coholic your not wrong, chilli and beer go together real well. I always get told off by the Wife for having to much chilli in me Jerky, I say never enough.

Mate I think I will try the Sriracha chicken marinade on my chicken wings next, looks like a good marinade. I had never heard of it, ta for the heads up. Always like to try different marinades.

A quick google shows me I can get it at Woolworths so thatll be easy as!

I also found the Nostrimini Seasoning pretty good with chicken.

Beers Gone Wild,

You'll like Sriracha i reckon. It's a staple at my place.

I amended the marinade recipe as I'd had a couple last night and got a couple of quantities a little off.

I'll have to check out the nostrimini seasoning you speak of too

Popped it in my brew fridge

Hopefully the Lacto does not make its' way into the brew.

I keep my Kraut / Kimchi in the kitchen on the bench....

As for beer and food, sourdough pizza wins...

Hi Ben10, I havent tried Sourdough Pizza, is it easy to make? I might have to add that to the list.

I am pretty sure the chances of the Sauerkraut fermentation affecting my brews is very low, when the Sauerkraut is fermenting, pretty much all that is venting is co2. The lacto is in the actual cabbage. Correct me if I am wrong.

Where I live it isnt practical to leave on the bench as we have big temp swings between day and night.

Like anything which is fermenting, a constant temp is best, I find for Sauerkraut 18c - 20c is optimal.

BTW just started to eat our first batch of sauerkraut (14 days) , awesome. Had it with Sausage, cheese and metwurst and of course a nice IPA happy

Got a family show this weekend, getting a heap of Jerky ready. That will make them thirsty.

IMG_4319_zps36bwkcy1.jpg

Archived