Coopers Community

Stout Porter Porter Stout.

ben 10

My usual when experimenting with hops for flavour etc. Standard pale ale grain bill of 85% MO, 10% Munich II and 5% medium crystal.

I used 30g Chinook at 10 mins, 30g of it at flameout for a 15/20 minute steep, and the rest of the IBUs were made up with an addition of 10g Magnum at 60 mins. 25 litre batch.

It's too in your face for me by itself. I feel it needs something to compliment it to tone it down a bit. I had brewed a pale ale a few years ago with it in conjunction with Cascade that was really nice though.

• 1 year later...

My first brew back after a few months was a Milk Stout.

Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.20 kg               Gladfield Ale Malt (3.0 SRM)             Grain         1        73.0 %        
0.30 kg               Gladfield Light Chocolate Malt (456.9 SR Grain         2        5.2 %         
0.30 kg               Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (32.0 SRM)  Grain         3        5.2 %         
0.20 kg               Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                 Grain         4        3.5 %         
0.20 kg               Gladfield Roast Barley (736.0 SRM)       Grain         5        3.5 %         
0.20 kg               Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)        Grain         6        3.5 %         
26.00 g               Challenger [8.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           7        22.5 IBUs     
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        8        -             
10.00 g               Fuggles [5.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           9        3.1 IBUs      
0.35 kg               Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0 Sugar         10       6.1 %         
2.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         11       -             

Tried it on the weekend and really happy with it.

20180526_133014.jpg

I'll be brewing another stout like the recipe I mentioned on the previous page, just without the Willamette, around August or September when the ambient temperature is favourable for ale fermentation without a fridge. That way I don't have to stall production of my regular drinking beers. It will then be kegged until next winter. Might even do my Porter after it. Missed the boat this year but have a brown ale on tap which is nice in the cooler weather. I figured with it being not as intense a beer that it wouldn't need as long to condition and I was right. It was nice straight away from the portion I had in the small keg but the rest in the big keg has improved with the few more weeks it had to sit before tapping.

Cheers

Kelsey

Yeah but I have 6 beer kegs and only run two at a time on tap so I can spare one or two to age beers like that. I've also discovered from this thread being resurrected that I've been reusing the 1469 strain for 2 years since I bought the original smack pack. Pretty good run!

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah but I have 6 beer kegs and only run two at a time on tap so I can spare one or two to age beers like that. I've also discovered from this thread being resurrected that I've been reusing the 1469 strain for 2 years since I bought the original smack pack. Pretty good run!

That’s a VERY good run. 

Nice and economical.

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, that's what I like about the harvesting method I use, I can get way more generations than using fermenter trub.

Hey Kelsey,

What makes you think you can get more generations harvesting from starters vs harvesting post-fermentation?

Cheers,

John

Well for starters the starters aren't hopped, also the SG of the wort is always the same relatively low strength as opposed to different strengths in proper batches. I think this places the yeast under less stress allowing for more generations to be harvested before it drifts too far from the original state.

I routinely go more than 10 generations without noticing any drift or change in flavours from the yeast. Maybe some are doing that from trub but I've yet to see anyone reporting it. In any case, the method works and I get nice clean yeast without having to wash it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hiya Kelsey.

I was thinking a "walkthrough" with a few pics of your yeast harvesting method would be very handy here on the forum.

I think it's a terrific method you use & one worth explaining in a little more detail to share with other brewers.

Whadoyathink?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I did something like that in my yeast harvesting thread a couple of years ago, but I suppose like all the pictures posted before the new forum site, they've now disappeared from the posts. 

I'm doing a starter on Wednesday so I can always do the pics again ?

Cheers

Kelsey

Change of plans, I'll be doing the starter Friday now. Not long enough of a break today to go all the way to craftbrewer for the dry malt so I'm going Friday. The lager in the fermenter will just get a couple of extra days cold conditioning. Might even put the keg in the kegerator straight away, but leave it disconnected. At least then it can have more lagering instead of warming up again.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived