Coopers Community

Is brewing a bad hobby?

Corksniffer

In fact' date=' the beer I'm brewing today is costing me $16.66 for the whole 25 litre batch - works out around $6 a carton. There are a couple of items in the ingredients that I have listed at no cost, those being my own grown hop flowers for obvious reasons and also the yeast, since it is on about its 7th re-use now.[/quote']

WOW! happy

You must be a very professional brewer, cheers to you, mate! biggrin

As I said before, a batch (22-23 liters) cost me now ca. $50.

But then again: I'm a beginner - so with time and knowledge,

perhaps I don't have to rely on the ready made Coopers packs

and tins...

But for now: I made a good start and I don't wanna rush things...

(As Treebeard always says: "Don't be hasty") cool

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewing is a great hobby with many benefits' date=' as other posts already list, but for me, yes it does mean I drink more. I have more beer on hand than if I was buying it. I'm always keen to try what I've brewed over time, compare etc. And to some extent I might even drink a few more every now and then so I've got enough empty bottles for the next bottling session.

Basically I think brewing has turned me into a low level, budget conscious, taste-driven (hops hops hops) functional alcoholic.[/quote']

Yepp - that's the road I see before me too. happy

Cheers!

.. and I should know! Three Peaks last year' date=' Everest this year [img']cool[/img]

Not many ppl on this forum may know what 'everlasting' is, but King R, if you are doing an Everest attempt, kudos to you !

Love the vids btw. Using your EB Porter recipe in my next brew !

I did my Everesting in March on a road just around the corner from my house smile Incredible personal achievement.

Glad you like the videos too - I have a great time making them. What's your grain combo for the porter?

Well, I wouldn't say professional lol but I've been brewing for about 4 and a half years now, started out with the Coopers kits as most do, but after about a year I began brewing from scratch, i.e. all grain, which is for ingredients at least, the cheapest method. The equipment can cost as little or as much as you're willing to spend but I reckon it pays for itself in the end.

I do find the brewing process and the science involved in it very fascinating though so I have done a fair bit of research into it. I decided to have a go at growing my own hops last year just for a bit of fun - they certainly don't make up the majority of the hops I use.

But still, $50 a batch is still way better than $200 odd !

You're a bad influence Kels' I've just downed 3 Real Ale's while out in the garden..! it's change of season here and so, so nice. It's half the reason I got it in the first place. A good change from the other 9 months of the year happy matter of fact I reckon I could almost brew a batch under 30 degrees without the fridge!

[...]started out with the Coopers kits as most do' date='[...']

That is very reassuring. Cheers mate! happy

But still' date=' $50 a batch is still way better than $200 odd !

[/quote']

Yes - that's for sure! biggrin

You're a bad influence Kels' I've just downed 3 Real Ale's while out in the garden..! it's change of season here and so' date=' so nice. It's half the reason I got it in the first place. A good change from the other 9 months of the year [img']happy[/img] matter of fact I reckon I could almost brew a batch under 30 degrees without the fridge!

lol I have another half a hangover today, although it's a little less than yesterday's. I'm off to Black Sabbath tonight so no doubt more beers will be had soon...

Ohhhh excellent man! It's a shame Mr. Ward no longer plays with the band bit will still be great nonetheless. Enjoy mate

And it's ok, half a hangover over two consecutive days is less than one whole one so you're doing something right. Yep. As Yoshiki says "professional"

You're a bad influence Kels' I've just downed 3 Real Ale's while out in the garden..! it's change of season here and so' date=' so nice. It's half the reason I got it in the first place. A good change from the other 9 months of the year [img']happy[/img] matter of fact I reckon I could almost brew a batch under 30 degrees without the fridge!

lol I have another half a hangover today, although it's a little less than yesterday's. I'm off to Black Sabbath tonight so no doubt more beers will be had soon...

Ditto

Brewing is a great hobby with many benefits' date=' as other posts already list, but for me, yes it does mean I drink more. I have more beer on hand than if I was buying it. I'm always keen to try what I've brewed over time, compare etc. And to some extent I might even drink a few more every now and then so I've got enough empty bottles for the next bottling session.

Basically I think brewing has turned me into a low level, budget conscious, taste-driven (hops hops hops) functional alcoholic.[/quote']

Agreed, he wasn't there in 2013 either when I saw them last time but the show was still brilliant nonetheless. Should be good!

Haha, yeah I didn't drink enough last night to end up with a hangover really. Too busy chatting with the girl I was out with. I think we were the two most sober people in the pub. lol

• 2 weeks later...

As a new comer I think it's a great hobby! I always drink to excess anyway so that hasn't really changed, it just costs a whole lot less now. But I used to drink more wine than beer, now I barely touch wine and instead prefer regularly indulge in my own creations.

cool

Just can't imagine how brewing your own can be a bad hobby.

Yeah you bet I drink more of my homebrew than the commercial excuse for beer. Well, maybe I drink more commercial stuff when I by it 'coz it's like water compared to your own brew.

I'm only a young 70yo and I've been drinking since I was a 14yo. Been called lots of things including an alco, but I'm not and never have been. Lived with one for 8 years so know what it's all about.

Listen, it's a great hobby, and yes at times we might indulge a little heavier than we mean to. But provided you possess the normal controls over your behavior, then I reckon, go for it.

Know I'm only a newbie, albeit an old one, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with different recipes as I learn the trade.

Cheers All

if anything, I have cut down on alcohol consumption since brewing. I rarely drink hard stuff anymore and cut down a lot on wine. Commercial beer got a point where I rarely drank it and just drank hard stuff. Home brew is preferable to hard stuff.

I will drink every day, about 2 bottles of beer, a bottle of wine on weekends and a glass of sherry when getting off the bike on a cold evening. if i make a batch of 22 l every 2 weeks on average, I drink it almost as fast as I brew, about 1.5 litres a day.

I have no weight problem. I have been the same size 34 trousers for 30 years. And that is beer every day, meat 3 times per day. I drink very little cool drink, those fizzy tins of sugar. Rather beer. Im very healthy and never sick, BP normal and everything. I have the best weight control motivation: I never want to get to the stage where I can't swing a leg over a tall off road bike and ride a 600+ km day. Don't need a nag to control my beer consumption. In fact, my life is so content, peaceful and happy I have no desire to change it and can't see myself ever getting married again. Riding and brewing and a few other hobbies keep me happy.

Cost doesn't really feature for me. Prices in a pub range from R16-R25 for a 340 ml bottle. To buy a case of beer is about R240 for 9 l, So for 22 litres it is R600. That is about R10 for a 340 ml. The cost of an extract and additives is at least R300 or more, so brewing is only about half the cost of buying or more. I have no need to save money, but I prefer not to pay tax to this government; rather give it to the Ozzies biggrin

As to the OP: Yes - you could say that I'm drinking more -

meaning: My homebrews have a high alcohol level.

Here in Sweden (as some of you might know) everything

above 3.5% is only sold in state owned shops and the

prices are just hilarious.

So ... one can save A LOT of money by DYI brewing.biggrin

I was in Norway about 15 years ago on business and I remember the cost of beer in pubs was outrageous. At least 5 times what we pay. I think it was about 5 UK pounds then. The only reason i could drink at all was I had a US$75/day allowance for food and drink!

Crazy taxes there. Well I guess the country needs it to pay for the nanny state, and free housing and grants for all the refugees! And these days they need money for the repairs from the riots and rape crisis centres.

Just can't imagine how brewing your own can be a bad hobby.

Yeah you bet I drink more of my homebrew than the commercial excuse for beer. Well' date=' maybe I drink more commercial stuff when I by it 'coz it's like water compared to your own brew.

I'm only a young 70yo and I've been drinking since I was a 14yo. Been called lots of things including an alco, but I'm not and never have been. Lived with one for 8 years so know what it's all about.

Listen, it's a great hobby, and yes at times we might indulge a little heavier than we mean to. But provided you possess the normal controls over your behavior, then I reckon, go for it.

Know I'm only a newbie, albeit an old one, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with different recipes as I learn the trade.

Cheers All[/quote']

Great point here also, is that brewing your own beer spans multiple generations of people ! I'm 37, and I'm sure there are people a lot younger than me on here and many older. I was at an International Home Brew Day event the other weekend, and it was all ages. Not many hobbies out there that really appeal to every age group. I also like the non-competitive side of it. Sure, you can compete if you wish, but if you can make a great beer that you enjoy, that you had fun making, and drinking, then that is pretty great. RDWHAHB.

Damn man. Starting to get fat.. I've just realised it's the beer!.. cause we've been drinking every night now (even just 3) it all adds up. They're probably what.. 160 cals each. Times at least 3x = an extra burger a day or something. Drink 4 times that an by God.. I've been kinda wondering what's going on, only just clued on now. Time to get the dry enzyme on I think!

Damn man. Starting to get fat.. I've just realised it's the beer!.. cause we've been drinking every night now (even just 3) it all adds up. They're probably what.. 160 cals each. Times at least 3x = an extra burger a day or something. Drink 4 times that an by God.. I've been kinda wondering what's going on' date=' only just clued on now. Time to get the dry enzyme on I think! [/quote']

I hear ya Brother boy!

Same happened to me when I started brewing - too tempting to keep tasting everynight and then BAM!!...... before you know it Im looking like a an oversized Hot Water Bottle and nearly getting harpooned while at the beach!!

Ive had to bite the bullet - not only cut out the beer but most carbs during the week and hit the gym, Mind you Im a desk bound screen jockey during the day so that's probably a bigger contributor.

have cutdown to weekends only - which means you accumulate a lot of beer if you keep brewing. Think Ive got about 12-14 slabs of it in the garage at the moment! - So I think Ill have to cut back to doing a brew a month and the a bit extra for holidays.

have cutdown to weekends only - which means you accumulate a lot of beer if you keep brewing. Think Ive got about 12-14 slabs of it in the garage at the moment! - So I think Ill have to cut back to doing a brew a month and the a bit extra for holidays.

Hi Payno. Yes' date=' good idea to cut back on brewing. What is the temperature in your garage? Was just listening to a podcast about staling of beer and it said that for every 10C the staling rate triples to quadruples. It can go stale in one day at 40C. [img']w00t[/img]

PS Apparently beer stales faster in twist off bottles than in pry off.

Hi Payno. Yes' date=' good idea to cut back on brewing. What is the temperature in your garage? Was just listening to a podcast about staling of beer and it said that for every 10C the staling rate triples to quadruples. It can go stale in one day at 40C. [img']w00t[/img]

Hi Christina

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Im in Melbourne so its not as regularly hot as other part of Australia and we are in Autumn with Winter soon approaching - so temps for the next few months will be coldish (5c overnight to maybe 21c in the day) but will have to be aware of that in Summer where my garage would regularly get over 30c. I hope that's ok for long term storage - I don't want to be moving 12 slabs of beer around!

Will have to watch out for the 40c+ days tho - we do get them, not as often as Adelaide but it does happen. 1 day and then stale? - that would be very annoying!

I'd love to know the reasoning behind that gem. I'm not saying it's absolutely not true' date=' but given the twist tops are sealed just as well as pry offs, I am highly skeptical of it. [/quote']

But apparently they don't seal quite as well. The source was an interview with Dr Charles Bramforth, who related that Sierra Nevada Brewery is switching to pry off bottles for this very reason. Dr Bramforth wasn't saying he tested it personally, but that Sierra Nevada, who are obsessed about quality, have. They think it is so important they are changing their production line. I don't think Dr Bramforth would have related the story on public radio unless he thought there was something too it, as the subject of the interview was flavour stability. Cheers! -Christina.

Edit: Here is a link. http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/sierra-nevadas-new-pry-off-cap/

Apparently Sierra Nevada developed a new and better cap liner (2007), and twist off bottles can't handle them. So I stand corrected. tongue

Archived