Coopers Community

Is brewing a bad hobby?

Corksniffer

Is it just me, or do other people tend to drink a hell of alot more being a home brew hobbyist? My beers are getting so tasty I've two hangovers in a row now..! Not putting any more into the fridge till tomorrow. We used to have a 'session' (yes, that's a nice way of saying 'pissed') once or twice a week buying one to two cartons of swill but now it's just stockpiling we're tending to have to be careful

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't found I've been drinking any more, maybe a little when I first started but once the novelty wore off I just went back to normal. My line of work and the shifts I currently work pretty much see to it that I can only have a schooner a night during the week, but my weekend drinking habits haven't really changed much.

I certainly can appreciate 'purchased' beer flavours more, as I have a better understanding the work that went into making it. Like going to a restaurant, and being able to pick out flavours, ingredients and cooking techniques, I am a little more analytical now on beers.

As a new brewer, I am sure the novelty will wear off soon also, but it's good to have a couple a day and not be worried about price.

I don't understand the question...

I'm finding that brewing is quite therapeutic, as well as a great way of learning and understanding more about beer, so it's improving our appreciation of good, hopefully quirky, beers.

We aren't drinking more, but it certainly has changed when and where we drink, ie we're having people over more, and spending less at our local brewpub.

I don't understand the question...

I'm finding that brewing is quite therapeutic' date=' ....... [/quote']

+1

Relatively stress free hobby. Try maintaining a Marine Tank, I have spent the late morning and early afternoon tending to this beast, Could have been brewing my Rye IPA instead pinched.

I normally don't swear but during the process I created a leak in the drain pipe, dropped the LED light into the sump and let out a few general expletives. Meanwhile Nemo and Dory are swimming around without a care in the world.

Now I need to relax, don't worry and have a home brew; but being wary of the amount of time left in the day I will try and hang out to 5pm.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

... to offset/justify the beer

Earn.

And I should know! Three Peaks last year' date=' Everest this year [img']cool[/img]

Not many ppl on this forum may know what 'everlasting' is, but King R, if you are doing an Everest attempt, kudos to you !

Love the vids btw. Using your EB Porter recipe in my next brew !

Do I have a hangover? Yes. Damn Sparkling Ale. . !#@$/

Case closed. But I guess you just take the good with the bad. An equal and opposite reaction. I'm a Landscaper most days and am pretty well soaked by 7am in the Darwin heat so that's my excuse. I also find it useful for fast food, too

In all seriousness though I'm reallllly loving brewing as a hobby. Even though I'm only extract it's still plenty fun enough for me. I used to brew in my teens for cash reasons but think I still enjoyed it even then, now I'm doing it purely for the fun and great tastes. I can finally tailor a beer now after kinda putting up with the stuff at my locals. Never being completely satisfied. I do enjoy the savings though too! Costs about $0.60 to make a beer I could sometimes pay $10 for at the shop. Like a weird Weissbier or something so you can't argue that

Hi BrotherBoy. Where I live (Canada) beer is expensive. I went from drinking one a day when I was buying it to two a day when I was making it, and three a day when I retired. I probably would not have done that if I had not started making it myself, which reduced the cost. I would not have been able to afford to drink that much.

I stayed at three a day for the first few years of my retirement, until I started putting on weight. Now I am back to two a day during the week, although I still have three (and sometimes four) a day on weekends. I believe this is too much for me. Hard not to drink more on the weekends though.

PS Recently I have gotten into cider making. The ABV is about 1.5% higher than my beer. Just one serving gives me quite a buzz and, as a result, I never have more than one, as I am not interested in getting drunk. This might be a good thing, as one cider gives me less alcohol and calories than two beer. The trick will be not to get accustomed to it.

Thanks for sharing Christina, you have a dedicated Soul! Now in my mid-thirtees I'm finding out allll about the World of weight gain and slowing metabolisms so you're preaching to the choir there. Which is kinda a rude shock, cause I've always been quite fit. Nowdays, I eat a piece of toast and gain 5 kilos! What gives? I can lose a kg or two from day to day just from water weight. TF!?

Our drinking habits are basically a bit wild and untamed, we might have none one or two days in a row, maybe have two to four on a work night but then have up to 12 each on a party night (by the way by party I mean we stay at home and just have fun, to our (somewhat) regret the next day)

I think we're slipping back into our normal beer schedule now, not long after posting this thread. I was kinda glad Kelsey and Ben ten mentioned the novelty would soon wear off. Kinda scared they were going to say the opposite and they're now chronic alcaholics and there was no way back for me now

As to the OP: Yes - you could say that I'm drinking more -

meaning: My homebrews have a high alcohol level.

Here in Sweden (as some of you might know) everything

above 3.5% is only sold in state owned shops and the

prices are just hilarious.

So ... one can save A LOT of money by DYI brewing.biggrin

As to the OP: Yes - you could say that I'm drinking more -

meaning: My homebrews have a high alcohol level.

Here in Sweden (as some of you might know) everything

above 3.5% is only sold in state owned shops and the

prices are just hilarious.

So ... one can save A LOT of money by DYI brewing.biggrin

Wow! and I thought our alcohol laws were restrictive........ that sucks! w00t

Hey brother boy

I hear ya about the slowing metabolism - mine started in my twenties but now in my 40s I seem to put on weight just looking at food!! That keeps me to mainly drinking on weekends and having to watch what I eat aswell. I did drink more when I started brewing a few months back as the temptation is just too great and you're super curious about how your beers are developing- but on came the kilos and I've had to bite the bullet again. But I have to say this isn't restricted to brewing the same thing happened when I discovered the wonderful world of craft beer a couple of years ago - and even before that when I was a more prolific wine drinker ( although I still very much like my wines!) I'm not strict about it by any means - drank last nite and this weekend is my eldests 21 st and Monday is a holiday so it's 4 days of drinking (yay!) - but come Tuesday the scales will tell me it's time to cut back and hit the gym again!

I try and look at the upside - if it forces me to limit my drinking and eat more salads then my body will thank me later in life when don't have sorosis of the liver, heart disease and diabetes!!

The prices are just as hilarious over here, really. I can brew a batch for somewhere between what works out at $7 and $9 a carton depending on what goes into it; if I was to buy something similar by a craft brewery it would be something like 10 times that amount depending on the beer.

In fact, the beer I'm brewing today is costing me $16.66 for the whole 25 litre batch - works out around $6 a carton. There are a couple of items in the ingredients that I have listed at no cost, those being my own grown hop flowers for obvious reasons and also the yeast, since it is on about its 7th re-use now.

Technically some of the cost of the original smack pack should be factored in but I find it easier to just factor the whole cost of the smack pack into the first batch it's used in, and then subsequent batches with the re-used yeast I don't cost it, mainly because I don't know how many re-uses I'll get out of a pack so it's hard to divide it by anything.

Brewing is a great hobby with many benefits, as other posts already list, but for me, yes it does mean I drink more. I have more beer on hand than if I was buying it. I'm always keen to try what I've brewed over time, compare etc. And to some extent I might even drink a few more every now and then so I've got enough empty bottles for the next bottling session.

Basically I think brewing has turned me into a low level, budget conscious, taste-driven (hops hops hops) functional alcoholic.

The prices are just as hilarious over here' date=' really. I can brew a batch for somewhere between what works out at $7 and $9 a carton depending on what goes into it; if I was to buy something similar by a craft brewery it would be something like 10 times that amount depending on the beer.

In fact, the beer I'm brewing today is costing me $16.66 for the whole 25 litre batch - works out around $6 a carton. There are a couple of items in the ingredients that I have listed at no cost, those being my own grown hop flowers for obvious reasons and also the yeast, since it is on about its 7th re-use now.

Technically some of the cost of the original smack pack should be factored in but I find it easier to just factor the whole cost of the smack pack into the first batch it's used in, and then subsequent batches with the re-used yeast I don't cost it, mainly because I don't know how many re-uses I'll get out of a pack so it's hard to divide it by anything.[/quote']

yeah Kelsey it is expensive here compared to many other places - was surprised when in Europe a couple of years ago how comparatively cheaper it is there, you expect that in a Eastern Europe but even the UK a pint at a pub is about 2/3 of what we pay ( less tax I assume)

But to reference our fellow Swedish brewer it's not as hilarious as theirs - recently had a client come back from Scandanavia and the prices he told me they paid for beer and wine in some places were just ridiculous -,easily 2 or 3 times what we pay if not more

Yes - to give you an example:

Coopers Best Extra Stout (6.3%)

is available in the state controlled shops

(Systembolaget).

If I would buy 22 liters of that brand there,

it would cost me US$186 (AU$241 or £130).

Now: I'm still just a beginner brewer using

pre prepared ingredients (kits and cans).

So, to brew a high alcohol porter, brewing

22 liters cost me:

2 cans TC Devil's Half Ruby Porter(Yeast included)

1 kg light dry malt

Carbonation Drops

Brew enhancer type 2

All in all 50US$! biggrin

But to reference our fellow Swedish brewer it's not as hilarious as theirs - recently had a client come back from Scandanavia and the prices he told me they paid for beer and wine in some places were just ridiculous -,easily 2 or 3 times what we pay if not more

In most places: More...pinched

Archived