Coopers Community

O.S Draught recipes

Hi all, anyone out there got some basic recipes for os draught, don't get to complicated as I am still getting used to brewing again after a long break. Am looking at something that I would be drinking at 8 - 12 weeks. I am trying to make a mega swill given that I have 9 months of summer and 3 months of winter

Thanks in advance

Cheers Greenie

The OS Draught is a good one to do little tweaks with for a few reasons eg. being new to brewing, wanting to knock up a quick and easy number, wanting to appreciate the difference single additions of ingredients make.

The cascade draught ideas mentioned are easy and make a nice beer. You could do similar things with quite a few other hops, just consider what hops you like and/or what hops fit the style and play around.

Whatever you do I'd probably use all Light Dry Malt in place of any of the brew enhancers.

Hi all,

Thanks for the recipe ideas, it is much appreciated.

Farls, not new to brewing just new to malts, dex, hops, teas, etc. brewing in the late 90's early 2000's

this stuff did not exist. Any hop suggestions are welcome, just need to keep to the kiss theory whilst

I get my head around all this. So speaking of hops I looked up hop dealz for cascade only to find that

they have cascade from the US, NZ and Aus. My question is what is the difference.

I thought that maybe I might try some US-05 yeast with some of these recipes as it seems to be a

popular yeast and that the OS Draught is supposed to be a ale premix. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Greenie

thanks Otto, Hairy & The Brew Master,

Your ideas, recipes and suggestions are much appreciated. One order to Hop Dealz for yeast and hops coming up.

Thanks Fellas, I really have appreciated your help and assistance. I will let you know how it all goes.

Cheers Greenie

Thanks again Otto,

I am going to do an order tonight, any suggestions on some hops that I should get given what you

have just said.

Once I get a mega swill sorted I will be going for apa's and ipa's. I am using bottles not kegs and

am looking for some of it to last longer than 3 months/years .

Cheers Greenie

Sorry Greenie, misread your first post mate. I reckon my comment still stands though, smaller tweaks give an understanding of ingredients, as you know what ingredient has made what difference.

I wish I did more single grain or single hop changes to known recipes/styles when I first started, instead of getting too keen on different recipes with multiple ingredients. I made lots of good beers, but I didn't really know what ingredient made what difference, and in many cases I'm sure I still don't have a great appreciation.

But at the end of the day it all turned out to be beer, and any that tasted shite was just a good reason to brew again.

Welcome back to brewing fella. And the us-05 will be fine, and buy whichever version of the cascade hops is cheaper or will get to you quicker, as the difference will be very neglible.

No worries at all Farls,

Our 3 months of winter is going to start soon so I am looking forward to experimenting. I know what shite beer is after tasting the difference between what a brew with LME in it and what I used to brew

in the late 90's. I really don't know how I put up with it. Shite happens.

I know I have been picking Otto's brain, but given what he has said about Hop Dealz it is a good idea to do a bulk buy from them so I am looking for any ideas on what to buy just for future brews and because your online maybe you can give your opinion on what sort of hops you would buy to do ipa's and apa's until another supplier appears.

Cheers Greenie

Hey greenie,

Ide recommend getting some 1.5 liquid malt or 1kg LDM... and also add 250g cane sugar... yes cane sugar is not the devil... in fact its a great additive if you want a dryer beer...ide rather use it in small doses over dextrose...

Rehydrate your yeast in 250-300ml sterile water...

Get some dry yeast; try saf05 yeast for a batch 17-21, or danstar Nottingham yeast 16-19degrees

Get your hands on them ale yeasts because there great yeasts to get familiar with mate...

If using coopers kit yeasts also double pitch and rehydrate

Always over pitch

23 litres

1.7 Coopers draught kit

1kg LDM

250 cane suger (not a must but will ferment out dryer and better)

25g fuggles or cascade boiled 5 min or steep flame out (or hops of choice for personal preferance)

ale yeast of choice within 16-21 degrees

Have 10 litres of chilled water in fridge for 24 hours

simple 5 litres of water to a pot add sugars to pot bring to a boil...

add hops five minutes boil (less grams is best at the start don't go to hard)...

take off heat leave for 30min

meantime have can win warm water

activate yeast by rehydrating for 15-30min

strain liQuid in fermenter and add can

try to hit 23 litres @ 21-23 degrees then pitch yeast

ferment out somewhere between 16-21 degrees

No need to boil liquid malt... less boiling of extract malts the better

A simple recipe & a take on the Celebration Ale recipe:

OS Draught tin

1.5kg Coopers Amber Liquid Malt

25g Centennial hops (can substitute with Cascade)

25g Nelson Sauvin hops

Kit yeast or US05 yeast

23 litres

Hop pellets can be dry hopped - I prefer a 10 minute boil.

Well picked up Otto Von Blotto...

I guess my rehydrating water in a glass that's less than 300mls so ive probly been close to x10 ratio... but probly a tad over recommened! still always works though

Im going to start trying liquid yeasts now so ill start making yeast starters!

And get the proper gear!

So im going to need to be more accurate with my water measuring ratios...

New territory is always uncomftable but im sure theres huge benefits such as recultivating in which I havnt done yet!

Well picked up Otto Von Blotto...

I guess my rehydrating water in a glass that's less than 300mls so ive probly been close to x10 ratio... but probly a tad over recommened! still always works though

It's not a big deal. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

I have had times where I have used more than the recommended volume and it has been fine.

Yeah it probably doesn't matter much if you go a bit over, I've probably done it myself too.

Yeah mate I've found yeast starters a great, simple way to re-use yeast. I do have my reservations about Brulosophy but that is one method that really does work well. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?!" things. Of course, the main benefit and reason for doing them is to build up adequate healthy cells.

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice, tips, help and of course the recipes. It is more than much appreciated.

Looks like I have a to do list starting with some hops and yeast. Pity my lhbs is 1500 km away

otherwise I would have already started brewing. Any way thanks again I will keep you all posted

about the results.

Cheers Greenie

• 1 month later...

Hey Hairy, its taken a while due to lack of temp control, but your recipe is at the moment tasting pretty bloody good. Its a nice way to restart the home brew journey. Cheers and good beers Greenie

Archived