Coopers Community

How high a temperature can packet yeast withstand?

Corksniffer

Hi there

I'm ordering a bunch of stuff from the online store but thing is: I can't collect it before the Easter public holidays and it will be sitting in a Darwin post office (where it's hot as hell!) Is the stuff going to be ok? I'd hate to spoil it. Really looking forward to mixing it all up

If the yeast never starts' date=' can I buy more and throw it in? [/quote']

If it was me, I'd probably buy some yeast in case.

You could either assume the yeast won't be viable, & use some pre-purchased yeast (perhaps US 05 or something similar) & use that instead, use both, or use the yeast that comes with the can, & if you can't see anything happening within 24 hours pop in the purchased yeast.

There's not any real way of being 100% sure the yeast with the can will work, but that doesn't mean it won't.

It's fair to assume the yeast with the can is exposed to whatever the ambient temp is - indoors & outside - during transit & storage before you get it anyway, so as long as it's fairly fresh the chances are it should be ok.

No reason you shouldn't have a backup plan & backup yeast just in case though.

Well, given it's metric it's not likely to be an American thing. tongue Fermentis are also European based, as far as I know.

I guess those instructions are probably more aimed at larger scale breweries where g/L would be a bit redundant in a way, because they tend to measure/quote their volumes in hectolitres from what I've seen rather than litres. You can buy those yeasts in 500g bricks which is most likely what they're using so it's easier to go with grams per hl.

At the end of the day though it all works out to be the same pitching rate anyway. lol

Archived