Coopers Community

TC Bootmaker kit.

I just made the TC Bootmaker Pale Ale with brew enhancer 3.

It has good colour and aroma but rather than citrus & pine flavour and aroma to me it has an aftertaste similar to ginger ale soft-drink' date=' with less ginger of course and tastes like cloves.

It is not unpleasant and I'm thinking it would be a good base for a Julebryg.

Any similar thoughts?[/quote']

Big Cuppa - funny you mentioned that because one of mine tasted like a Horehound Ale. I had 2 other people independently also describe it the same way. I just put it down at the time to the EKG, amarillo and Cascade hops I added. I really don't know what caused that flavour but I loved it as did others who consumed it. I ended up doing 5 Bootmakers before I went all grain.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to just brew a bootmakers as per recipe with 1kg LDM to 20 ltrs with rehydrated US-05 yeast. I've got 75g of centennial hops and about 40g of mosaic left over from my last beer. If I dry hopped it with the lot how would it turn out? Or should I scale it back a bit. Open to ideas...

• 1 year later...

I've just tasted my Bootmaker Toucan with Hallertau Blanc. Very Promising for being only 2 weeks in the bottle! 

2019-03-17     evening
2 x 1,7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale
1 x 11g Safale US-05 
22 liter

2019-03-28    11:00 
40 g Hallertau Blanc pellets down in the fermenter. 

2019-03-29     20:00
starting coldcrash at +2 °C 

2019-03-30     kl 19
gelatine fining into fermenter. 

2019-04-05 
bottling 33 cl with coopers carbonation drops 

2019-04-18 
tastes good. not very bitter. small hint of Hallertau Blanc. 

bootmaker toucan.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I did the bootmakers as one of my first beers, as per coopers basic recipe. Far too sweet with 1.5 kg malt and no bittering or dry hop to balance. If I did it again I'd drop that to 1kg and hop it up.

I like the Amber Ale recipe. Made it with Hallertau Blanc and will make it again but with Lemondrop. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 6:14 AM, der kleine Drache said:

2019-03-30     kl 19
gelatine fining into fermenter. 

bootmaker toucan.jpg

Legendary Label Herr Drache!!!

But why would you bother throwing Gelatine finings in?  Is it the hops particulates that need floccing out?

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Legendary Label Herr Drache!!!

But why would you bother throwing Gelatine finings in?  Is it the hops particulates that need floccing out?

Fining to make the beer clearer. I've used Isinglass but gelatine is cheaper and something always in the cupboard in our house. 

Here's an article on the topic: 

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I was under the impression it grabs both.

It doesn't grab visible hop particles, however aromatic compounds cling to yeast so in theory if you dry hop before adding finings to remove more yeast then you'll strip some aroma as well. A way around this would be to dry hop after using finings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It doesn't grab visible hop particles, however aromatic compounds cling to yeast so in theory if you dry hop before adding finings to remove more yeast then you'll strip some aroma as well. A way around this would be to dry hop after using finings. 

Good point about dry hopping post adding finings to clear the beer. 👍

I definitely will not be adding any finings to my Kolsch now then. 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm not entirely sure about it yet. I've sort of done the dry hop post adding finings when I did the keg hop, but the aroma wasn't really any different to me to dry hopping as normal, before the isinglass is added. However, I did use about half the amount of hops I'd normally dry hop with.

The other thing to remember is the yeast drops out in the bottles/keg anyway so it wouldn't matter, some of those aromatic compounds will still end up in the sediment. More so in a keg because that sediment isn't disturbed once it settles. 

12 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I definitely will not be adding any finings to my Kolsch now then. 😁

I still haven’t made a Kolsch or even had a taste of one yet. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts when you taste yours Lusty 

6 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I still haven’t made a Kolsch or even had a taste of one yet. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts when you taste yours Lusty 

I've already made it 4 times before. It's not entirely dissimilar to the Galaxy Pacific Ale thread stuff, it just has a few more twists with the rye malt, Kolsch yeast strain & some Ella hops in the mix.

Think Pale Ale, but using an ale strain you can comfortably ferment @ 14-15°C. The Kolsch strains are really cool like that.

It's one of my best beers.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The other thing to remember is the yeast drops out in the bottles/keg anyway so it wouldn't matter, some of those aromatic compounds will still end up in the sediment. More so in a keg because that sediment isn't disturbed once it settles. 

Funny thing is Kelsey that I have found if you store your bottles upright in refrigerated conditions for a while, you can easily get 90% bottle pour completely free of yeast... especially if you have decent sized glasses and keep pouring... 

The cold store yeast consolidation develops so much so that I have to add hot water to get the caked yeast off the bottom of the bottle most times...  the bottles probably spend a lot of their time only around 20 degC or so anyway... which may help the consolidation on the bottom to begin with.

...unless of course I plug the heating element into the cooling port on the temp controller 😝 when things start to get a bit more like Central Queensland summer temps!

• 1 month later...

Drinking a Bootmaker Toucan (from earlier in the thread) and thinking this is a very, very, very nice brew. Still got 3 cans of Bootmaker and want to do this toucan thing again.  Hallertau Blanc in the previous brew was a total winner but I do'nt have any left and I want to use what I have at home. Maybe it can get slightly less bitter. so a bit more volume. Following last recipe closely should be rewarding I think. This is what I currently have in mind: 

2 x 1,7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale
2 * 0,25 l   Mr. Beer Golden LME
1 x 11g Safale US-05  
25 liters

in the fermenter for 11 days 

50 g  Mistral hops into the fermenter (cos I got it at home and curiosity).

next day cold crash 

after 2 days gelatine for finings 

Est. Original Gravity (OG):         1.047
Est. Final Gravity (FG):         1.011
Est. Alcohol By Volume (ABV):     4.75% 

Any input to the recipe is welcome.  BTW, I also got some Barbe Rouge, Columbus,  Mosaic, Summit, Mandarina Bavaria, Hüll Melon, Lemondrop and Taiheke.   

I do'nt mind bitter beers but the first one I made can be slightly overwhelming. I really like one but then the bitter beer quota is filled.  So I made a toucan but changed it to the following: 

• 1,7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale → 500 IBU

• 1,7kg Coopers Lager → 390 IBU

• 2 * 0,25 l Golden LME mr beer

• MJ M44 + original yeast

• 25 liter

• 19 °C

The plan is still to dry hop with 50g mistral.  Might reconsider. that along the way.  

• 2 months later...

Ok the mistral hops are not so impressive. Do'nt really know how to describe them. The toucan is OK but not as good as the last one.  

Recently I bottled 2 new batches of Bootmaker variations: 

Slamcreeper Ale 

• 1,7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale
  • Pure Light (Mangrove Jack's) 1,5 kg LME
  • 2 *  Mr. Beer Golden 0,25 l  LME
  • 23 l 
  • 1 x 11g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast + original yeast
  • Dry hopped with 40 g Columbus & 30 g Mosaic  

Inspired by Hop Slam IPA. Smells wonderful and perfect! I've got high hopes. I'm gonna deviate from the Tintin themed labels and go for Muddy Mudskipper from Ren & Stimpy on this one. 

Amber Ale Mandarina Melon 

1,7kg TC Bootmaker Pale Ale
1,5kg TC Malt Extract Amber
0,5 kg DME wheat Muntons
24 l 
Dry hopped with 20 g Mandarina Bavaria & 80 g Hüll Melon 

Inspired by Coopers Amber Ale recipe. Not really sure what to expect from the smell and taste. Hüll Melon is a strange and weak hop.  

My best Amber Ale from a Bootmaker yet was dry hopped with Hallertau Blanc. Very delicious! 

• Like 1