Coopers Community

Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat

Someguy

I'm just shopping online through the Coopers store picking up a few cans n things.

I'd like to ask: is it worthwhile trying this kit as-is with no additional hops or should I be buying some? Same goes for the Mexican cerveza.

I'm planning on doing the wheat with 1.5kg wheat malt extract and a brew enhancer 2 for the cerveza

Thank you

I think it's always worth trying a kit as-is first up. This way you can decide for yourself if it needs more hops or grains or whatever the next time. I had begun doing that with the Coopers kits back when I was still using them, but then I got distracted by moving to extract and all grain. lol

I have recently brewed this one: Preachers Hefe, 1.5kg liquid wheat malt and kit yeast.

It is a decent kit and I don't think you really need to add anything to it. The kit yeast does a decent job too.

Give it a go.

Thanks for your wisdom fellas. That's a great point on trying brew cans stock Otto, and great to hear it turned out well Hairy. Probably shouldn't suprise me too much being a Coopers can. I remember years ago when the brew shop guy was telling me that Beer Makers, Black Rock etc were superior but after loads of 'confused' tasting brews I tried the Pale Ale and thought it was great! I think he was telling me that because at the time Coopers kits were in the local supermarket in Geelong and he ofcourse wanted the business

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Made the kit the following way:  

2019-05-10 

• 1.7 kg TC Preacher's Hefe 

• 1,5 Kg LME Wheat 

• 500 g DME Wheat 

• 2,2 g Wyeast Nutrient Beer Blend

• Munich Wheat Dry Yeast 

• 10 g Mandarina Bavaria + 20 g Hüll Melon - hop tea 25 minutes @ 85 °C 

• 23 l

• Fermented @ 20-24 °C

2019-05-31 

• Tasted: Hops not there.

• Yeast smells funny.

• Bottled in 0,5 l bottles with brewing sugar. 

2019-06-13 

• Tasted a bottle. The yeast is in clumps and the taste is not totally there. Some banana (positive). Hops not showing much. 

I am hoping this beer will be ready for midsummer party 21 june.  My friends want me to bring beer and I thought Hefeweizen is good for people not used to pouring carefully. I am sort of disappointed at the clumpy yeast. I like hazy Hefeweizen and drink it a lot when visiting relatives in southern Germany. 

Edited by der kleine Drache

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

What yeast would you recommend? Munich clumps a bit and I'm missing the traditional banana flavour. 

Let's see... I've used Safale K-97 for one - manufacturer says its German ale yeast, low esters, good for Belgian wheat.  Not much yeast flavour in that one although it had lots of Cascade so it was more like a wannabe Belgian pale ale.  

Done two with T-58 - this might be the one you're looking for?  "Specialty yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavor development (POF+), producing clovelike aroma. Yeast with a medium sedimentation: forms no clumps but a powdery haze when resuspended in the beer."  These two were a lot nicer in terms of yeast flavour.  One of the brews I did was a basic toucan, Hefe wheat & Canadian Blonde pitched directly onto the yeast cake from the prior brew, and it was delicious with no additions - bit low on body and bit soft drink like but the pronounced yeast flavours were great.  

I've used the kit yeast which has a bit more neutral flavour so I'm not sure what strain that is.  I'm guessing it might be K-97 because Coopers tends to pair the wheat kit with that yeast strain in their recipes.  

I'm not familiar with the liquid yeasts since I'm still a bit of a beginner.  But I would definitely give T-58 a go.  As far as European beers go I like lagers or big flavoursome beers like Saisons so I enjoyed the pronounced estery flavour of the T-58.  

• Like 1

I've had sucesses with Safbrew WB-06. Made a plain hefeweizen with just an extra wheat malt can. I also made a lemon zest weizen using plain ol LDME and a lemon myrtle leaf steep.

Both were great quality with the lemon one being the standout. I was actually surprised with the simplicity of the recipes.

I'd also be willing to try the K97 - but I don't think it would be as tasty as a wheat beer specialty yeast.

I am also not into liquid yeasts as yet but I will admit @porschemad911's sulphur comment of WLP351 has piqued my interest.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2016 at 11:41 AM, Someguy said:

I'm just shopping online through the Coopers store picking up a few cans n things.

I'd like to ask: is it worthwhile trying this kit as-is with no additional hops or should I be buying some? Same goes for the Mexican cerveza.

I'm planning on doing the wheat with 1.5kg wheat malt extract and a brew enhancer 2 for the cerveza

Thank you

I've got the cerveza in and being bottled tomorrow. I did a small galaxy dry hop. Not that I have a clue if it's better with or without ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, drewbert said:

I've got the cerveza in and being bottled tomorrow. I did a small galaxy dry hop. Not that I have a clue if it's better with or without ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do not mind the Cerveza plain and dandy with 1kg LDM, but it is better with a small Galaxy dry hop.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:53 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not mind the Cerveza plain and dandy with 1kg LDM, but it is better with a small Galaxy dry hop.

I just bottled it today. OMG. It's not just better. It's amazing with galaxy in it

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, drewbert said:

I just bottled it today. OMG. It's not just better. It's amazing with galaxy in it

Wow that is really cool DB.  And great call Shamus on the Galaxy.

I have got a festive All Grainer GALAXY SMASH cool temp brew in my brew-fridge festering away at the moment...

And I cannot stop myself whenever I go past.... from opening the door and inhaling.... it is SENNNSATIONAL....  Galaxy long boil and Galaxy short boil.

Hopefully some of that aroma goes in with the beer and is not lost into the atmosphere solely during ferment. 

Kelsey noted my Galaxy long boil might end up being pretty bitter... am hoping that it is not toooo severe.  See how we go I guess hey.

The excitement of brewing!

BB

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:34 AM, der kleine Drache said:

Had another one. Not much of a head. Tasted the alcohol a bit but also the hops somewhere in there. Could be good but maybe 5 days is a too short of a time for the beer to develop. Anyone who knows about taste development for Lallemand Munich in Hefeweizen?  

Nice labels as usual DKD - great work!

BUUUUUUT.... I seriously believe 5 days is aspirational.... 

I would suggest minimum of 2-3 weeks Secondary Ferment Flaschengaerung and then probably a few weeks - maybe months - of bottle conditioning... conditioning once the second ferment is over... 

• Like 1