Coopers Community

White skin on beer

I'm guessing it's about making sure the wife doesn't see it so as to not receive an earful for buying it' date=' Christina. I'm sure I'll experience this for myself one day too. [img']lol[/img]

Yes, but it was 50% off! How can you pass up a deal like that? love He can plead economics. At that rate it is cheaper than homebrew. The purchase was perfectly justified, IMHO... biggrin

Only joking about hiding it. She's pretty good and doesn't whinge about my brewing.

I've been making cider in 12 litre batches. But it takes a few months to come good.

So when the juice was on special I thought I'd buy enough to make 20 litres this time.

Then I noticed one was opened and in the fridge. So last night was the last day it was on special so what with some being opened and the white skin I thought I'd buy a bit more.

Oh did I mention that BE 2 was discounted too. Had to buy two of those too, even though I already had one..icon_redface.gif

I love a bargin.

This the floor of where I work at home.C89ZCcj.jpg?1

Pear & Apple, grapefruit, grapejuice, extracts and BE2.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, some of those bugs that can infect a brew can ferment things ale yeast can't, so your gravity can go to zero in the bottle. You may be in danger of bottle bombs. I would be inclined to put all the bottles in the fridge, if you have room, which will slow those bugs down. Next drink the beer ASAP....Consider degassing/depressurizing the bottles. Cheers! -Christina.

• 1 month later...
So when you meet girls I assume you tell them you are into beer and cricket.

I'm sorry Kelsey' date=' but unless you are prepared to hook up with David Boon you will probably stay single [img']tongue[/img]

Actually just met one who's into decent beer and enjoys cricket... what are the chances eh.. lol And no, she doesn't look like a Collingwood supporter either.. tongue

im thinking the same. it has been in the FV for longer than normal. I normally bottle after 2 weeks but this time i left it longer as it took a long time to ferment and now its got a white skin. ive made 2 beers in this FV since the first infection. at least one of them is fine, i haven't opened that last batch yet.

Hm. Sounds like something is hanging about, probably in the fermenter itself. I routinely leave beers for 3-4 weeks without issue. I reckon give it a thorough clean, nuke whatever, then try another batch, maybe just some cheap crap so it's not such a waste if it does have to be tipped. If it happens again I'd probably be throwing the FV out and getting a new one.

Hey CSG,

If it was me I would cut my losses and tip it, there is no point wasting your time with beer that will be sub par.

I think a good question to be posed to Coppers is "does beer have enough dissolved oxygen to support acetobacter growth? Or is the oxygen getting into your fermenter another way?"

Cheers Chezza

Hi CSG

I had two brews do exactly as per your photo, both white skins(spider web) appeared very quickly day 15 or 16, bottled both, tasted very dry and sharp, have drank most anyway, desperate hey!.

Both tasted very similar despite very different ingredients.

Brews were:

Mexican Cerveza can,plus LDM 500gm and rice malt syrup 500gm, Dry hop 20g cascade day 5, Craftbrewer American Ale dry yeast, 23litres, brewed at 19 deg, OG 1038, SG1016 day 5, 1010 day 9 and 14, spider web on wort day 15, bottled day 16.

APA can,1 kg DLM,Cascade 25gms 5 min boil in 200gms DLM, Craftbrewer American Ale dry yeast, brewed at 20deg, 23litres, OG 1040, SG 1010 day 8 and 14, spider web again day 15.

Did a Cascarillo Ale in between, no problems.

These are the only brews where I have used this yeast, probably coincidental.

I have upped my sterilizing and sanitizing regime since and no reappearance last seven brews.

I use a Coopers fermenter and I am wondering if air is getting in when the brew sits around (in the brew fridge) for a while after fermentation settles down, particularly when taking samples from the tap.

Love my home brew so it is disappointing when money and effort doesn't get the result I hope for.

Cheers

Peter

It shouldn't be a problem with air because the CO2 on top of the beer is heavier than air, so unless you open the lid and stir it all up and displace the CO2, air shouldn't reach it. I often do this myself to add dry hops or finings during CCing, and I'm wondering about getting a secondary smaller CO2 bottle and reg so I can purge the headspace in the fermenter with CO2 before refitting the lid. I haven't had any issues as yet, though.

I've actually had my 15 litre fermenter that I did my cider in just sat there for ages.

I bought 12 litres of grapefruit juice to brew months ago. But I've been too worried to use the FV.

I was actually going to get it going tomorrow. I was going to give it a good swilling of boiled water, then sanitise it.

I don't disagree with you. I've got my plan all worked out' date=' see I'm buying up all this brewing paraphernalia now while I'm single and don't have to justify it to anyone so when I'm not single there can't be any arguments against it. Probably a misguided theory but I'm sticking to it. [img']lol[/img] biggrin

No man, just do what bikers do:

fbfb8628411fc1cd1dbdb84d7a184f96.jpg

image.png

44fc8435517c6e99ae24da544f72162e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived