Coopers Community

Dogs ...

King Ruddager

We lost our Boxer just over 8 years ago (Aged 9) and our special little Border Collie "Megan" in 2015 aged about 14. We took her in as a stray and the Vet said she was about 18 months at the time but we're not sure. It has been a very hard 15 months without her!

We said we wouldn't try and replace her or get anymore but it's not getting any easier. Time is not healing the loss!

1481192070_51_547.jpg

Always been a dog person. Have three at the moment, although the two little Shih Tzus are my wife's. My bloke, named DOG, is 16 months old. He is 50/50 Great Dane/Mareema. Weighs about 50 kg at the moment, but the most beautiful animal. Very loyal, and when he is in the car, which he loves, don't go anywhere near the car without me. He goes ballistic and tries to eat you.

Yet out of the car, he is everyone's friend. That protective nature is the Mareema and the loving nature is the Dane.

Just recently found out he will not take food from anyone but me or Mum. No training, just did it. Would not have believed it had I not seen it. A friend offered him food and he wouldn't even have a sniff of it. I offered to him and he sat and waited til I told him to eat it. And when he's out in the car, he won't drink, eat, wee or poop. He can be out with me for 12 hours, makes no difference, waits til he gets home. Dunno what he would do if I stayed away overnight.

But yeah, they are just like people. Love 'em

Cheers

Bill

1481333485_52_28.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

another dog owner/homebrewer here

10 year old Rhodesian ridge back x collie (lassie type)...Matilda. She is a big girl, 48kg and starting to get a bit old.

Had her since she was a puppy, and she is super loyal. Bit slow in the brain department some days and super stubborn (ridgeback quality) but she is a great dog!

Just caught up to this thread, so couldn't ignore it.

My dog, whose name is DOG, very hard to remember, is very much part of the family. He believes that too, try and tell him he's not!!

The wife has two shitzu's, which are lovely little things, but, well, they're hardly dogs, if you get my drift. Had a beautiful red heeler until he took a bait. Bloody terrible, but it was an accident. Birds pick up baits and drop them anywhere. Well I wanted another "dog". Went to the markets one day, no intentions, just looking around. Well first thing we saw was a cage full of puppies. They were 50/50 Mareema/Great Dane. Mum has had a litter of 17!! Lady wanted $50 but all I had was $40, so it was a done deal. Picked out the one that kept licking at my hand through the cage. He was only 6 weeks old. Little thing you could hold in one hand.

Well he will be 2 in August, he weighs in at 50kg plus and stands comfortably above my knee height (I'm 183cm). When he stands on his hind legs, he can put his feet on my shoulders.

The most loving and loyal dog I can remember, and I've had dogs since I was 6yo, like 65 years ago. And so protective, yet friendly with people, unless you come near "his" car. Mine, the wife's, doesn't matter, it's his. Following pic was taken a little while back and he has grown since then. This is him resting up, after a hard day's who knows.

Geez hope this works, have had trouble with pics before.

Nah, looks like it ain't working.

1493272874_69_6.JPG

• Thanks 1

Ruddy, I'm sure you've heard the phrase "cats piss" before?

I've never heard anybody ever say "dogs piss"

I'm sure this proves something, I'm not sure what though.

I love dogs, I hate cats, my partner had two cats before we got together, and now that I've spent time with them, I still hate cats.

But seriously, I'm an animal lover above most other things, have a cat of that makes you happy, just keep it under control so our native wildlife can also be happy, the same applies for dogs really.

Cheers

JP

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess I can join this club now, we got this little fella on Friday just gone, he's a German Shepherd crossed with Belgian Malinois, SWMBO decided to call him Elvis. He's a bit of a handful at the moment being in that silly puppy stage, but is learning things quite well. Where it's fine to pee and take a dump isn't one of them yet... lol

1511139094_92_637.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 2

He doesn't like being left on his own much at the moment' date=' although he's gotten better at it. Cries a bit but then settles down. [/quote']

Where do you leave him?, quite a bit of info inc spy cam tests of how leaving a dog in your areas of the house without you makes them VERY anxious & unsettled, an area that is common to them is much better like a laundry, garage or simply the back yard is a much better environment. Having good neighbors helps at this stage but most dogs will settle once you out of sight & smell if there comfortable.

Anyway, I hate Dogs, love cats though, hers our cat Jazeera, shes a Dalmador, had her 7yrs so a bit of a cougar now!

1511215796_41_181.JPG

Shes crossed with 2 great cat breeds, Dalmatian & Labrador, got her off a local farmer for the princely sum of 2 cinema tickets for his kids!

Cant understand why anyone would like or want a Dog TBH, give me a cat any day.

hey kelsey, my pug used to carry on when he was a pup. we had him in an apartment to begin with and I was really sick of picking up poo from our balcony! as he got older, he calmed down and the separation anxiety stopped. fun times, you're bringing back all of the memories.

At least children grow older and start looking after themselves!

Anyway' date=' I hate Dogs, love cats though, hers our cat Jazeera, shes a Dalmador, had her 7yrs so a bit of a cougar now!

[img']https://club.coopers.com.au/static/media/attachments/1511215796_41_181.JPG[/img]

Shes crossed with 2 great cat breeds, Dalmatian & Labrador, got her off a local farmer for the princely sum of 2 cinema tickets for his kids!

Cant understand why anyone would like or want a Dog TBH, give me a cat any day.

It looks more like Deer whistling

Yeah he's just out on the deck when we're either asleep or not home, otherwise the house would be full of piss and shit. It is annoying cleaning it up out there but it's better there than inside. He's settled down a lot since the first night though, still has a bit of a whinge when he's first put outside but shuts up pretty quickly so he's getting more comfortable and used to it. If the yard/fences were more secure I wouldn't have any worries having him out there but there's holes and shit in the fence on one side of the yard and neither front gate can be properly locked.

Next house we'll be a bit more fussy over things like that I think, but that won't be for another 15 months now.

Cheers

Kelsey

We had a Kelpie that I used to tie up to a steel hoop thrown over the top of a star picket. The smart bugger used to stretch his lead out and move backwards and forwards and work the hoop up the star picket and back over the top. We couldn't work it out until we pretended to go out one day and watched him. surprised