Coopers Community

Dogs ...

King Ruddager

I've noticed the same thing, we love our dog he is our fur child.

Your dogs in your videos always gives us a smile.

Six years ago I came home from work and he was standing at our back door, this skinny pot bellied pup swarming with fleas about 4-6 months old, I gave him a pat and he fell over. The missus had fed him a cheese sammich we put out a cardboard box so he slept in that for the night and never left.

The next day we watched him chase a huge wolf spider across the courtyard pounce on it and eat it he was so hungry. We de-flead and wormed him, I've never seen so many worms come out of a dog.

He was very sensitive and would run if we picked up a broom or fly swat I think he had been mistreated and will still flinch if you put your hand on him while he's not looking.

We had him chipped, registerd and DNA tested to try and figure what breed he is but it came back as mixed with one of his grandparents a Bullmastiff.

This is Buddy

yhPXRPN.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Always have been. My old girl passed away 2 years ago and I'm still devastated. Had her from a pup right up until her last moments. She made me the man I am today because she was my only real Family and I had someone I loved to make sure I have to look after the best I possibly can. She looked after me, too and for that I'm eternally greatful. She was a Kelpie and I'll never forget the day I got her, the guy said: you don't want that one mate'. I said, yes I do. He repeated: you don't want that one. So did I[hide][/hide]

We now have two four yr old cattle dogs

• Like 1

I'm a dog person. Not in a Mitchell Pearce way but I like them.

My current dog is a cavoodle. I was never into little dogs but my wife wanted it. She is a little champion; puts up with a lot of crap from the kids and takes it.

I'm not really into cats but I don't hate them either. My in-laws used to have Burmese cats that were cool. One even played fetch and would drop the ball back at your feet to throw again.

Of course as noted on various threads, we've got Harry.

Harry's a "rescued" former racing greyhound; for those curious enough, his racing name was Jenmar Wildfire.

My wife's grandparents & her granduncle used to breed, race & train greyhounds; but they were from a different era, where most of those in the industry were WWII veterans.

The money was just a side benefit for those folk, their reason for being in the industry was community, comradeship, & the love of dogs.

Anyway, we'd been considering dogs for a while, I'd stopped working, & a little over 2 years ago we decided to adopt an ex racer.

The adoption group came out to visit, & towards the end of the visit asked if we'd like to meet some dogs.

She brought her own dog & a red fawn dog in to greet us; the red fawn was Harry, & we bonded immediately.

We got Harry certified as a green hound within a few months, meaning the muzzle can hang & gather dust in the laundry.

About a year later, we decided to look at what else Harry can do, as he's so placid, friendly, laid back, & loving.

So around April last year we got Harry certified as a trainee "MindDog".

Harry is now permitted to go with me pretty much everywhere, so long as I've got his ID & he's wearing his MindDog coat.

TBH the majority of the time Harry's just a pet lounging at home or going out for walks, but when I need a bit of support or we feel he needs a bit more exposure/training, on goes the coat, & he goes with us; whether it be to the shops, on the bus, to the pub, or the movies.

Although Harry doesn't wear his coat often, his temperament is so fantastic that in reality, he's attuned to my needs 24/7, & is a MindDog whether his coat is on or not; just he can act like a normal dog when he's not wearing it (he shouldn't run around or play with other dogs with his coat on, as he should be treated like a service dog rather than a pet when at work).

There may be non dog owners out there who brew, as well as dog owners that don't brew; but I can see that it may well be a common character trait that leads to both.

The attention to detail, looking after something that makes you feel good, having something beside ones-self to focus on, as well as patience that is applied in waiting for the result of the brewing or training to show results.

I wouldn't want to give up brewing, as I love a beer, & love being able to say I contributed to the flavour of it.

I certainly wouldn't give up our Harry either, he's a once in a lifetime dog, though I also can't see myself living without a dog either, so when he leaves us (hopefully a long time from now; he's 8, but could well live to his teens), we'll inevitably get anther dog.

We'd love another dog now, but you can really only fit one greyhound in a two bedroom villa with one of the residents a wheelchair user; not to mention leaving space for the brewing gear!

• Like 1

I was never into little dogs but my wife wanted it. She is a little champion; puts up with a lot of crap from the kids and takes it.

Yeah' date=' same thing with my wife but what about your dog? [img']sideways[/img]

Dogless at the moment sad

Had the honour of sharing a chocolate standard poodle's life for 14.5 years. Hope to do it again in the future.

Only dogs I see of late are two Jack Russells, Daisy and Dudley - short haired and long haired. They're vineyard/winery dogs and always want to be in and about with all operations. Little balls of muscle and champion personalities!

We have two dogs, a seven year old Golden Retriever (Tucker), and a two year old Havanese (Maggie). Both great dogs in their very different ways. I have yet to name a beer after either of them though.

The little one is spoiled and sleeps in our bed. biggrin How many of you sleep with your dogs?

Maggie is our second Havanese. We had her sister, Coco, before her, but tragically she was killed in a Conabear trap in the woods behind our house at a young age, when I was walking them. I learned the hard way that Crown Land is not a safe place to walk dogs in New Brunswick. They are full of traps. Every time I look at Maggie I remember Coco. They look identical, but their personalities are different. Coco was a feisty character; Maggie is more timid. Tucker is calm and sweet, but likes to eat poop. Ugh!

We got a cat too, about a month ago, because we live in an old house in the country, with a lot of mice. He is "okay." In spite of the poop eating, I prefer dogs by a large margin....

We have two dogs' date=' a seven year old Golden Retriever (Tucker), and a two year old Havanese (Maggie). Both great dogs in their very different ways. I have yet to name a beer after either of them though.

The little one is spoiled and sleeps in our bed. [img']biggrin[/img] How many of you sleep with your dogs?

Maggie is our second Havanese. We had her sister, Coco, before her, but tragically she was killed in a Conabear trap in the woods behind our house at a young age, when I was walking them. I learned the hard way that Crown Land is not a safe place to walk dogs in New Brunswick. They are full of traps. Every time I look at Maggie I remember Coco. They look identical, but their personalities are different. Coco was a feisty character; Maggie is more timid. Tucker is calm and sweet, but likes to eat poop. Ugh!

We got a cat too, about a month ago, because we live in an old house in the country, with a lot of mice. He is "okay." In spite of the poop eating, I prefer dogs by a large margin....

Harry regularly comes to visit us when we go to bed for night time cuddles.

We'd love to have him sleep on the bed with us, but he just doesn't realize how big he is, how much space he takes up, & that if he stretches out, he pushes us to the ends of the bed (he tends to cuddle up between me & SWMBO).

Often if I go out & leave him home alone, I'll come back to find him sleeping on the bed, (if I'm quick enough), that or I'll see an obvious depression in the bed covers from where he's been.

He also creeps onto the couch at night fairly often, especially if it's a little cooler, so he can be up off the floor.

He's got a perfectly good couch/bed of his own which is lower to the ground, but he loves to sleep where he can smell out scent.

• Like 1

I've got a 8 year old beagle name Lily. She is one of the best looking dogs you'll ever see, super affectionate and wouldn't hurt a fly. Lily is a great dog to have around the kids. I heard a saying the other day with couldn't be more true - beagles are just noses with 4 legs. That nose of hers has got her into heaps of trouble over the years but thankfully nothing too serious.

We have three male cats too. Two moggies and a purebred Siamese. They're all sweethearts but man cats can be filthy animals.

I had a beagle for a few years in my previous marriage.

Bonnie was a gorgeous girl, affectionate, loving, playful etc, but a real escape artist.

She escaped one too many times, which necessitated her flying from Sydney to Melbourne, after we had to go back home to Melbourne when we were visiting Sydney to arrange wedding plans.

When the marriage broke down my ex found her a new home, rather than giving me the option to take her, my parents who I had to move back with also wouldn't let me have her.

She's either very old or not with us anymore (I got married first time around 17 years ago now).

I can only hope she had a better life with her new owners.

Beagles are beautiful dogs, but unless you can ensure they can't escape (almost impossible), & ensure they get enough walks, they can be more than a handful.

At least with Harry our greyhound, so long as he gets his walks & a few runs each week, we can pretty much leave the doors & gate open, & he'll just stay inside sleeping! - We of course don't leave the gate & doors open most of the time, but he's proven that if we have visitors over or are slow to close the door etc he's not going to run off.

You can't say the same for beagles unfortunately; any open door is an excuse to explore for them.

• 7 months later...
I think I'm noticing a pattern with brewers tending to be dog people. Anyone else?

Dog person here. Very sadly we have just lost our eight year old female Blue Heeler (Brandi) to an ilness. She left us too early and broke our hearts. My shadow dog' date=' she would nudge me with her nose to say hello in the morning and follow me around all day. We still have Boof the twelve year old male Blue dog, he simply just thinks he's human. Hes a fantastic mate. Couple of pics. Brandi first then Boof.

DSC00083_zpsdrg5tlhd.jpg

BoofHead-1_zpsd8mflgpj.jpg

• Like 2

Dog person and dog owner with a 5 year old border collie called barney. Great dog, very intelligent, good with our 2 kids (they are 3 and 1) but he does have some of the obsessive/neurotic traits that many border collies have. He is an obsessive tail chaser.