Coopers Community

BrewDog Recipes

Hairy

So now I'm trying to get the numbers right for their "Punk IPA", and this time it's the IBUs giving me trouble. As noted earlier they use whole flowers and not pellets, so I've been decreasing the hop amounts by 10% for additions that contribute a significant amount of bitterness

Also, I hope these guys save some hops for the rest of the world! This 20L recipe has over 300g of hops, almost 200g of which is dry-hopped!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now I'm trying to get the numbers right for their "Punk IPA"' date=' and this time it's the IBUs giving me trouble. As noted earlier they use whole flowers and not pellets, so I've been decreasing the hop amounts by 10% for additions that contribute a significant amount of bitterness

Also, I hope these guys save some hops for the rest of the world! This 20L recipe has over 300g of hops, almost 200g of which is dry-hopped!![/quote']

Kingy

Crack a can of Punk IPA and just put on table in front of you for a minute or 2 before you pour it. If you can managewink

The hop aroma you get from doing this is something I have not experienced too often.

Cheers

Phil

Crack a can of Punk IPA and just put on table in front of you for a minute or 2 before you pour it.

I only lasted four seconds ... but my prize was beer smile

I must say' date=' it doesn't seem as [i']ridiculously[/i] hoppy as I was expecting. Either it's just normal IPA territory, or my IPA window of acceptability has widened again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So I've been looking at these recipes for ages now and recken im gonna have a crack at an extract version of 5AM Saint or Dead Pony Club.

On the hop scheduling of each recipe it says to make additions at 'start, middle and end' with the attributes being 'bitter, flavour and aroma' respectively.

Clearly the bittering addition is 60 minutes, but for the flavor and aroma, what do you think? 15 and 5 mins? 10 mins and flameout?

Cheers!

Patrick

Thanks for the reply headmaster!

I think 10 and 0 is what I'll go with (as I'm a no-chiller) :)

After putting the recipes into both IanH's spreadsheet and a free trial version of beersmith, I found it impossible to hit 30 IBU's with the hop additions they gave (2X2.5 g bittering and 2.5 g flavour, definitely not enough for a 20L batch), but after searching the net I came across a redditor who noticed the same thing and upped the additions to 12.5g each. Doing this puts the numbers pretty much spot-on and makes much more sense in my mind, so I can only assume that they were typo's in the recipe.

I'm gonna try and have a go at this sometime over the weekend (maybe next) and will post results up here when it's finished!

Cheers!

Well that makes sense beer engineer. I thought those numbers were ridiculously small, well done for spotting the problem.

When I first opened the brewdog PDF, the first recipe I flicked to had a typo as well, they had 0.9kg of a dark roasted grain for a porter I think it was which I knew should be closer to 0.09kg or 90 grams, ten times less. The pounds number was correct however. If you had made it with the 900 grams, it would have been bloody awful..

Unlikely that they meant to put these errors in there. I guess it probably means they have given a badly written notebook to someone to type up, and they have made some screw-ups and no-one has checked it before publication.

The error is still in there after releasing the second version. So use the recipes with caution and use your experience or the guidance of the software regarding getting in the ball park of the colour and IBU units I’d say.

Yeah my guess would be the same as yours that someone has written it up without having it thoroughly checked. There seems to be quite a few mistakes that I've noticed but with the aid of software and some brewing experience, they're fairly easy to pick up for the most part.

Haha, 900 grams of dark roasted grain certainly would be interesting! but I'd only ever be game enough to try it in a super high ABV Imperial Stout I think XD

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has made any recipes from the book yet and if so what you thought of it? :D

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to brewing an adjusted version of the BrewDog 5AM Saint recipe a couple of weeks ago, it was my first partial mash and aside from getting a fair amount of trub in the fermenter, it went pretty well! I made a few changes here and there converting the recipe from all-grain to a partial and adjusting the hop schedule to the correct IBU's. Also, replaced the nelson sauvin additions with citra and dropped the simcoe and ahtanum dry hops (as they were comparatively minor additions to the dry hop and 125g in a 20L batch is already more than Ive ever used):

Here's what I put into it:

To 20 L:

1.5 kg Coopers LME

1 kg Pale Malt

0.88 kg Caramalt

0.63 kg Munich 2

0.38 kg Crystal 150

0.13 kg Crystal 240

12.5 g Amarillo @ 60

12.5 g Cascade @ 60

12.5 g Citra @ 10

12.5 g Amarillo @ 0

12.5 g Citra @ 0

50 g Cascade Dry

50 g Centennial Dry

25 g Citra Dry

US-05 Yeast

OG = 1.050

FG = 1.013

IBU = 32.6

EBC = 31.1

Approx 5% ABV

I'll do a side-by-side taste test in a couple of weeks after it's suitably carbed up and post the results! Would be very interested to hear if anyone else has brewed up any of the BrewDog recipes too?

Cheers all!

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing this Lusty.

Spent most of my lunch break downloading, printing and putting in a folder.

So what would be the best way to convert some of these recipes to extract/partial mash?

Would BeerSmith do a decent job of that?

Anyone used the mobile app from the App Store?

Wazz

For the recipe above, I just took the base pale malt and used a conversion of 1kg of pale malt (grain) = 0.75 kg pale LME = 0.6 kg pale DME (got this from beersmith website: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/06/03/converting-all-grain-recipes-to-malt-extract/)

From there I used IanH's spreadsheet and put the base ale malt in as its LME equivalent.

Hope that helps a bit!

• 1 month later...

That's the next brew on my list! just bottled the dead pony club last week and had a cheeky taste today, it was awesome! Tried the commercial jet black heart and it's definitely worth having a crack at, I'll be doing it in the next couple of weeks too! :D

• 1 month later...

Archived