Coopers Community

What Type of Hops?

Morrie

I recently decided to try tasting a commercial "India Pale Ale" as it has been a choice of many brewers on this forum. I went to Dan's and got a 6 pack of Gage Roads IPA (Sleeping Giant) which is unfiltered and dry hopped. I thought it was an absolutely delicious drop and would like to make something along those lines if possible.

Subsequently I jumped onto the Gage Roads website to see what I could find. There is some information on their other beers regarding hop input but not for the IPA. I'm asking if anyone can put forward their ideas on what type of hops may have been used in Gage Roads IPA?

Below is information from their website which describes their IPA if that is of any use.

Sleeping Giant

India Pale Ale

Our tribute to the beers that once quenched the thirst of parched colonials at Admiral Gage’s East India station. This UK-style IPA is rich with caramel malt and overripe stone fruit character, balanced with a big bitter finish.

55 IBU Bitterness

22 EBC Colour

5.4% AlcVol

I haven't had one of these for a while but from memory it was almost a hybrid UK/US IPA but leaning more towards the UK style.

Perhaps try some UK hops like EKG and give it some late Cascade or Centennial.

I don't know the actual hops used in the commercial beer though.

Hi guys.

My brewing comrades are (collectively) right on the money with their hop suggestions. smile

The brewery is very "hush hush" these days about the hops used in their beers, but back in 2012, they did a limited release dry hopped version of 3 of their popular beers. They being the Atomic Pale Ale, The Sleeping Giant IPA, & the London Best bitter. The standard versions must not have been dry hopped at that stage.

During that release, they let slip the hop combinations used in those 3 beers.

...This traditional English IPA has a clean palate rich with specialty malt sweetness' date=' balanced by a fresh fusion of hop flavour from five hops – East Kent Goldings, Cascade, Willamette, Centennial & Chinook added to the brew kettle. Not content with this our brewers also ‘dry hop’ the beer with three of these hops added to the fermenters for that extra aroma lift.

A rewarding ale, it finishes long and dry with lingering complexity.[/quote']

The Pale Ale & IPA are now dry hopped as standard.

For additional info on the Atomic Pale Ale, & the (now defunct) London Best, the full article can be found HERE.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

Thank you blokes for your opinions and the EKG was right on the money.

I emailed Gage Roads and have had a very prompt reply from their quality assurance manager, which is a far better response than I have had from Coopers re: an issue I raised with them about many failed TC Bootmaker brews on this site. So far zero response from Coopers and that was sent on the weekend.

I hope Gage Roads don't mind me publicizing their email to me, but their customer relations I think is outstanding.

Hi Morrie,

Thank you for your feedback on Sleeping Giant IPA.

We use East Kent Golding and Amarillo for dry hopping our IPA.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest Regards,

Florine Jourdain

Quality Assurance Manager

08 9314 0006

Florine@gageroads.com.au

Gage Roads Brewing Co

+61 8 9314 0000

14 Absolon St Palmyra Western Australia 6157

PO Box 2024 Palmyra DC Western Australia 6169

GAGEROADS.COM.AU

I'd like use a Coopers IPA extract can + 1.5kg of light LME and then dry hop with EKG & Amarillo and see how it tastes. Got any suggestions on quantities to dry hop with? .....Or any other suggestions for that matter. I'd like to base it on a Coopers IPA extract for simplicity but am open to doing a hop boil with the LME.

Ben1000 & O Great Hairy one, ............

Really appreciate you blokes helping out a newbie with some of your knowledge. Now I've got some sort of a plan to follow. Love the IPA's, tried a couple of commercials and I think IPA could be my type of brew to play with.

Anyway back to enjoying Boy and Bear on a Friday night.

• 4 years later...
On 2/26/2016 at 6:36 PM, Hairy said:

Also, steeping 250g medium crystal malt might get you closer to the Sleeping Giant.

I have been making Country Brewer IPA Wet Pack for some time, it's close to Gage Road Sleeping Giant IPA but not quite there. It has a grain content to steep, maybe Crystal not sure, but no extra hops.

I intend to brew one and dry hop with East Kent Golding and Amarillo as suggested in earlier post from Morrie. Below I believe it would be an excelent choice to base an experiment on.

On 2/26/2016 at 10:07 AM, Morrie said:

I'd like use a Coopers IPA extract can + 1.5kg of light LME and then dry hop with EKG & Amarillo and see how it tastes. Got any suggestions on quantities to dry hop with? .....Or any other suggestions for that matter. I'd like to base it on a Coopers IPA extract for simplicity but am open to doing a hop boil with the LME.

I'll post the results in a few weeks.

• Like 1