Sign in to follow this  
AbbeyBeer

copper sanitiser - tiny flakes

I used copper sanitiser and left it overnight. The next day I saw hard little flakes stuck to my fermenter and equipment. I could scrape it off with sharp object. What could it be?

Do you mean Coopers sanitiser? It's sodium percarbonate, so I'd imagine these flakes you mention are probably nothing more than soda ash (sodium carbonate). Sodium percarbonate breaks down into water, oxygen and soda ash. I wouldn't be scraping things off your fermenter with sharp objects, this will only scratch the plastic, which will make nice little hidey holes for bacteria and other infection causing bad guys to nest in.

If you actually meant copper sanitiser then I have no idea what that is. Copper Tun brand? unsure If so it's exactly the same stuff.

Do you mean Coopers sanitiser? It's sodium percarbonate' date=' so I'd imagine these flakes you mention are probably nothing more than soda ash (sodium carbonate). Sodium percarbonate breaks down into water, oxygen and soda ash. I wouldn't be scraping things off your fermenter with sharp objects, this will only scratch the plastic, which will make nice little hidey holes for bacteria and other infection causing bad guys to nest in.

If you actually meant copper sanitiser then I have no idea what that is. Copper Tun brand? [img']unsure[/img] If so it's exactly the same stuff.

Thanks, yes I meant to say coopers sanitiser typing error. lol

Fair enough then. lol

Yeah, it's nothing to worry about. It should just rinse off with hot water although given what the stuff breaks down into there's probably no real need to rinse it at all really. I do anyway though because I find it does feel a bit soapy even though there's no soap in it.