Coopers Community

Good news. Bad news.

Jay

Good.

My local pub, The Dog in Randwick now has 58 taps of craft beers (+ the usual culprits). It boasts the most beers on tap in the Southern Hemisphere (apparently)

Bad.

$9.50-$10 a schooner for the craft brews.

What is going on. Someones taking the p*ss aren't they?

Pretty normal pricing for craft beers on tap at a pub in my experience, depending on the pub and probably the ABV of the beer, of course. I've been to places like that, or they'll do pints for that price but most of the actual craft beer bars only have schooners or pots. Some of the ones that have been around for a while and are more widely available seem to be cheaper than the newer or more obscure brews.

Still can't quite understand how beer has got so expensive here. Only a few months ago I was in pubs in England with lovely Ales on tap for $5-6 a pint. And that's with a bad exchange rate.

Anyway that's all for my Monday grumble.

The increased price would be because of the excise tax Brewers have to pay which of course gets passed onto consumers. And they of course they need to make a small profit to survive.

By the the time you add other costs such as transport, marketing etc and the pubs take their share you end up paying a premium.

Good.

My local pub' date=' The Dog in Randwick now has 58 taps of craft beers (+ the usual culprits). It boasts the most beers on tap in the Southern Hemisphere (apparently)

[u']Bad.[/u]

Oh come on Jay, you live in Randwick??? you should be able t afford it then. tongue

Or you could home brew. whistling

Think about it less close cropped beards, less pony tails, less scooters, less man bags, less BS and cheaper. rolleyes (can't help a stereotype) tongue

Cheers.

I just wonder how a Carlton can be $4 and a Sierra Nevada is $10 in the same pub.

I know Carlton's obviously a bigger brewer, uses cheaper ingredients etc etc. But $6 difference in a schooner is pretty huge.

Oh come on Jay' date=' you live in Randwick??? you should be able t afford it then. [img']tongue[/img]

Or you could home brew. whistling

Think about it less close cropped beards, less pony tails, less scooters, less man bags, less BS and cheaper. rolleyes (can't help a stereotype) tongue

Cheers.

Not in the little pocket of Randwick where I live. It's more mullet sporting, tracksuit wearing, chain-smoking, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Hi-Vized, purple nosed types with tourettes.

Not in the little pocket of Randwick where I live. It's more mullet sporting' date=' tracksuit wearing, chain-smoking, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Hi-Vized, purple nosed types with tourettes.[/quote']

lol

Carlton = $4 (Brewery subsidisation) ? bandit

Have strong portable electromagnetic field generator will travel, elecro-shock therapy is so yesterday man...rolleyes

Cheers.

Good.

My local pub' date=' The Dog in Randwick now has 58 taps of craft beers (+ the usual culprits). It boasts the most beers on tap in the Southern Hemisphere (apparently)

[u']Bad.[/u]

I heard they were 'converting' the Dog but didn't realise it was finished.

With 58 taps I hope they get a lot of patronage and turnover or else some of the beers won't be too fresh.

Good.

[u']Bad.[/u]

Just to get this straight.. At my local pub the craft beer on tap starts at ~11.50 Australian dollars. AND you get to live in a country where 14° aren´t considered a nice summer day.

Oh, did I mention paying 50% taxes?

You lucky bastards! biggrin

Good.

[u']Bad.[/u]

Just to get this straight.. At my local pub the craft beer on tap starts at ~11.50 Australian dollars. AND you get to live in a country where 14° aren´t considered a nice summer day.

Yes I do understand that I am whinging like a spoilt child, considering I live in such a wicked City/Country.

Isn't Sweden in the top 5 most expensive countries to live? Anyway the trade off is that you are surrounded by incredibly beautiful women with more class than most of ours.

By the way 14° is not considered a nice WINTERS day over here. wink

Good.

[u']Bad.[/u]

Ratatatata,

I presume no-one forced you to move to Sweden? I lived there from 1977-1987, and the taxes were 50% then, so they haven't increased (they certainly have here), there was no such thing as foreign beer available apart from Heineken, as opposed to now where there is a better selection than here in northern suburbs of Sydney. And, I agree, it is cold outside, but at least it is a steady 22c indoors, which enabled me to make some decent beer even back then. Where I live could be anywhere from -5 to 45. So it's not all bad! (I used to think that at least we got something for our taxes, which would be a novel idea to introduce here!)

Cookie

Yeah have seen the same up here in Bris-Vegas. Can't buy a beer for less than $10 a glass these days.

While everyone suggests the reason is the excise tax others in the industry have suggested otherwise.

Some other reasons have been....drinkers having to pay for the infrastructure (extra taps etc.), by the bar not doing a deal with a major brewer (who subsidises the deal) the seller has to cover the costs of hardware etc., small craft brewers sell kegs for a higher cost than the majors, some sellers/pubs are in high lease cost locations (to get better traffic) and have to pass on the increased rental costs via the beer etc. One chap (ex-pub owner) said that some also see the "craft beer boom" also as a cash cow for other parts of the business that may not be doing as well.

I guess home brewing is a great argument for better economics and great beers.

Cheers, Pete

One chap (ex-pub owner) said that some also see the "craft beer boom" also as a cash cow for other parts of the business that may not be doing as well.

Cheers' date=' Pete[/quote']

Ha! there it is.

Archived