Coopers Community

Career

LaurieJay

Anyone looked into actually having a career in brewing?

I'm currently a stay at home dad, looking into a career change.

Anyone have advice on where to get started, qualifications needed etc.

Most of the 'courses' I've come across seem to be in the UK.Not in Australia.

There are a couple of university courses you can do; I think Ballarat Uni offers one.

Lots of ads for brewing jobs require experience and a qualification of some sort. It is hard to get experience though. You could always offer to do some free work at a local brewery.

If you start your own then you don't need experience or qualifications (but it would help) wink

my wife works for tafe in sa.

she worked at regency for many years which i know have i micro brewery (incorporated in amongst their hotel school) from which i think they hold short courses into brewing... ive been lucky enough to have been given a few brews and they do a great dark ale.

Regency Tafe had an added bonus of being able to smell the malt and hops from the hallowed ground across the road... mmm... coopers...

Cheers guys.

Yeah I came across that TafeSA website.They do a "General certificate in brewing".

Hefty fee tho surprised

Seems to me that it's pot luck getting a job in this field.

Would love to start my own, but money would be a big factor.

Hi MM. smile

I keep hoping to be offered a Coopers brewing scholarship. tonguewink

Hey Sir Lusty' date=' thought you already had a scullership. [img']unsure[/img] whistling

A nice play on words. wink

If Coopers offered an accreditation for "scullership", I'm sure I'd be in the running for what is termed an "honorable mention" if based purely on consumption levels alone of their beers. lol

Oh by the way Peter Symons the author of Bronzed Brews did a Brewing course at Ballarat.

Bronzed Brews podcast' date=' Bit of waffle at the start but worth a listen. [img']wink[/img]

I did listen to the podcast of this interview that you posted in another thread not long after your post of that.

Interesting interview as I don't know the bloke who was interviewed (Peter Symons) to holding any lofted notoriety here in the craft brewing fraternity here in AUS, being the publisher of the book.

The yank interviewer just couldn't get past how 20%+ sugar of any kind in a beer recipe could leave a beer anything less than dry. That made me laugh a bit. As hard as Peter tried to encourage suggestions around Maillard type reactions & how various un-refined sugars inherently carry various levels of caramelisation, the interviewer really had no idea of how the beers being discussed could possibly produce any caramelized influence & end up anything else but ridiculously dry. lol

I really respect the lengths Peter has gone to, to produce a book with the content & information he has. I'm also a supporter of his drive to get the Melbourne Ale strain (WLP059) released & made available regularly or seasonally through White Labs.

If you want more of Australian brewing heritage to be made available to us as home brewers, then supporting initiatives like this go a long way to making it happen. If your LHBS stocks liquid yeasts then get into them about the pre-order & help to get this rare heritage yeast of Australia made more readily available across the globe.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived